Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Like Tree40Likes

Sky Q

This is a discussion on Sky Q within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; If it's anything like the Now TV box you would need one of these: which could connect to an AV ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q

If it's anything like the Now TV box you would need one of these:
      Sky Q-av_cable.jpgwhich could connect to an AV sender.

I think what Meteosat meant about needing an extra dish was so that he could have SkyQ and still playback recordings from his old box as otherwise (without a satellite signal) the box will stay at, "Initialising please wait".

2. Advertisement
      Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	av_cable.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	5986which could connect to an AV sender.

I think what Meteosat meant about needing an extra dish was so that he could have SkyQ and still playback recordings from his old box as otherwise (without a satellite signal) the box will stay at, "Initialising please wait".
      Correct😐

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Not if you want to use your existing magic eye it won't be.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Not if you want to use your existing magic eye it won't be.
      Not even sure that the SkyQ boxes have an infra-red (IR) sensor though the new remote, as well as being blue tooth, must have an IR transmitter otherwise it wouldn't be able to control the volume on the TV.

I expect the blue tooth signal would penetrate most interior walls so a magic eye shouldn't be necessary.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      Wow! That raises some pretty fundamental issues! If you don't want to ditch your standard boxes immediately, getting rid of all recorded programmes etc., then you're going to need another dish, LNB and wiring if you want to get into the Q?
      Why would you want 2 Sky subscriptions?

My guess would be that Sky will be selling a Sky Q set of packages and a Sky+ HD set of packages (this is what we currently have).

Their idea is that you won't want to go back to the Sky+ HD STBs and trust me, once you've seen the new Sky Q UI, you won't be happy with the Sky+ HD UI.

As for all those recordings that you currently have, I would recommend that you work out now how you can copy them onto another PVR, Blu-ray disc or DVD.

Purely a guess, and based upon Sky's previous history, I would suggest that they'll launch around the end of January. This is when they' previously made major announcements about new products. However 'early in 2016' could mean up to Easter too.

The issue with the powerline would also be compatability, from earler reading it was said that it will not be compatible with other systems. I am also a tad concerned that it's suggested that the powerline is in the 'Q' unit, and not at the end of the cable to be plugged into the socket, or seperate adaptor. From my experience PL units do not work well when plugged into extension leads and by extension ( no pun intended! ) would not work well when in a 'Q' unit at the end of a lead, I would also have thought that there would be a considerable amount of interference generated too. However, if there is an option to disable it and use existing wired or PL ethernet than that would solve the issue.
      Yes the potential Powerline issue is something that members of forums such as this are going to need to address once we can get a chance to play with all.

We already know that they tend to have problems on Surge Protected sockets and poor wiring can also impair their performance.

There are some great members on these forums and I am sure that they'll be tested should there be any issues.

Of course the developers at Sky will already be aware of many of these potential issues, and a Sky Engineer will also be responsible for installing the new kit. So they may have already developed some good responses.

Just the LNB I would have thought, in my case it's easy to get to and I have the kit to re-allign if required. For those who do not wish to do thier own I expect that install would be part of the package.
      It is just an LNB change that will be required. If' you've already been using the dish for Freesat or Sky TV then there might be a little tweaking of the dish, but otherwise all should be fine.

Anyone who has an old dish with an old fitting might need a little more work, including a new dish, but that's an issue anyway for anyone upgrading say an old Sky STB to a new Sky+ HD STB.

Would you not also require a UHF modulator? I have never used the Magic Eye system, I just use a an AV sender but I thought it was a remodulated UHF signal.
      I think what's been suggested is half way to what I was thinking.

Previously I've looked on Amazon and found things such as Scart plugs that then send a signal over the UHF cable to another TV. As you can already get Scart plugs that have Phono sockets, you could combine all this and get a suitable result for those who have multiple TVs running off the one box.

It was confirmed that the existing Sky+ HD remote will control the Sky Q boxes. So an box that can pass the IR signal from one part of your home to a Sky+ HD STB should also work. However there are a few new buttons on the Sky Q remotes so this might not be the best solution.

Provided that the Bluetooth signal can reach the Sky Q box, you don't need to be in the line of sight with them.

Remember too that if you just have 3 boxes, then Sky Q would cope happily with this without any messing about.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sky Engineer will also be responsible for installing the new kit. So they may have already developed some good responses.
      Yes, I've met e few engineers in my time who give 'good' responses. More than thirty years ago I was one!

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Previously I've looked on Amazon and found things such as Scart plugs that then send a signal over the UHF cable to another TV. As you can already get Scart plugs that have Phono sockets, you could combine all this and get a suitable result for those who have multiple TVs running off the one box.
      It was confirmed that the existing Sky+ HD remote will control the Sky Q boxes. So an box that can pass the IR signal from one part of your home to a Sky+ HD STB should also work. However there are a few new buttons on the Sky Q remotes so this might not be the best solution.
      Plenty of straight UHF modulators around with CV and stereo inputs, Scart not needed. Good ones that don't drift all over the place may cost a bit more though.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56
      Yes, I've met e few engineers in my time who give 'good' responses. More than thirty years ago I was one!
      Hence the previously posted tension between SWMBO & yourself i presume.

Did your knees survive the experience?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

By 'good responses' I was implying that perhaps they'll be looking for Surge protection sockets and know to avoid them. I don't know what their training will include, just having a sensible guess based upon a positive expectation.

As Sky now use very few non-Sky engineers to install things, they'll have far better control now on any training and work practices.

Plenty of straight UHF modulators around with CV and stereo inputs, Scart not needed. Good ones that don't drift all over the place may cost a bit more though.
      Again, for the present time, I was attempting to show that something is possible. The product linked below might be a suitable solution:

AKORD RF Modulator UHF Channel 21-69 Scart CCTV Convert: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Of course there are plenty of members already using HDMI splitters too. It is very possible that these powered HDMI splitters will work with all the Sky Q TV products. I simply don't know the answer at this stage.

Finally there are products such as Slingbox which can also stream your content both around your home and over the Internet, whilst also allowing you to control the box remotely. There are several members who use this and I'm sure that one or two will be only to willing to get a Sky Q TV box and connect it up.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Hence the previously posted tension between SWMBO & yourself i presume.

Did your knees survive the experience?
      Not that sort of tension or experience. SWMBO and I have a very happy relationship, just so long as I remember what she says goes.

I was referring to a few engineers I used to know, and a couple I still do who would struggle to know the difference between volts and amps. However, Scubbie has said that Sky now use their own engineers so all is well....

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

I must say that the business has changed over the last few years towards improving the quality of work, customer interaction and making sure the customer is No1 and that's what makes Sky the No1 in TV viewing in the UK.

I have seen people come and go for a wide range of reasons but if your not willing to move with fluid viewing then there's the door bye.

SkyQ is a product that will change how we view TV and I can remember when HD first came out and what people was saying then and look where it is today but say the same thing for 3D that's gone by the wade side and in the bin if you ask me.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast