Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Like Tree40Likes

Sky Q

This is a discussion on Sky Q within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to play with any of the Sky Q products with or without anyone watching ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky Q

Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to play with any of the Sky Q products with or without anyone watching over me .

Whilst I've seen the GUI from TV boxes to some extent, there is much I haven't seen. As for the Sky Q Hub, I've not seen anything yet.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      As far as we know SkyQ should be compatible with most multiswitches that are used in dual feed communal dish systems. There are 2 signal "spins"? And high and low on each, so there are four signals needed for Sky TV. As long as your dish/multiswitch can output two of these (I forget which two) then SkyQ will be supported.
      Spins relate to circularly polarised radio signals where there can be clockwise or anticlockwise polarisation. This does not apply to the Ku band DBS TV signals transmitted from the Astra satellites which use horizontal and vertical polarisation. Because of this the LNBs fitted to Sky dishes are skewed (tilted from the vertical) so as to be aligned with the apparent tilt of the satellite as viewed from the UK.

I would agree with Bubblegun that there will be a way to turn off the Powerline signal, probably using a setting in the hidden menu similar to that used to turn off WiFi in the existing Sky+ HD boxes.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

Surely the Powerline signal will not work through the main power input to the box? I would think there would be a separate connection for it. If not, I can foresee a lot of complaints from users with existing Powerline circuits.

Its also interesting that the main box will not be compatible 'magic eyes' so anyone who wants TV in another room will be forced to buy/rent a mini box at extra cost. This will not be popular with the thousands with a magic eye set up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      so anyone who wants TV in another room will be forced to buy/rent a mini box at extra cost.
      or use a Sky app. on an Android tablet with an HDMI port such as the Hudl.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

If you have the Sky Q Mini and it is possible to fit an AV output device in it, then this could be used to feed around the home.

The magic eye is probably better, but the new remotes do work with Bluetooth, so in many cases you won't need the Magic eye.

As for the Powerline, I was under the impression that you could run multiple systems on the same home wiring. The issue would be that the speed would be limited if there is too much traffic or one was slower than the other.

Of course this will all come out once people start using the new Sky Q products.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Unfortunately information for the standard dishes and LNBs is a little thin on the ground. Currently the only information states that the LNB for the Sky Q boxes has 2 ports and is incompatible with the existing Sky+ HD STBs.

Of course this doesn't mean that other LNBs won't be available when Sky Q is properly launched.
      Wow! That raises some pretty fundamental issues! If you don't want to ditch your standard boxes immediately, getting rid of all recorded programmes etc., then you're going to need another dish, LNB and wiring if you want to get into the Q?

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

The issue with the powerline would also be compatability, from earler reading it was said that it will not be compatible with other systems. I am also a tad concerned that it's suggested that the powerline is in the 'Q' unit, and not at the end of the cable to be plugged into the socket, or seperate adaptor. From my experience PL units do not work well when plugged into extension leads and by extension ( no pun intended! ) would not work well when in a 'Q' unit at the end of a lead, I would also have thought that there would be a considerable amount of interference generated too. However, if there is an option to disable it and use existing wired or PL ethernet than that would solve the issue.

- - - Updated - - -
      Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      Wow! That raises some pretty fundamental issues! If you don't want to ditch your standard boxes immediately, getting rid of all recorded programmes etc., then you're going to need another dish, LNB and wiring if you want to get into the Q?

Just the LNB I would have thought, in my case it's easy to get to and I have the kit to re-allign if required. For those who do not wish to do thier own I expect that install would be part of the package.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you have the Sky Q Mini and it is possible to fit an AV output device in it, then this could be used to feed around the home..
      Would you not also require a UHF modulator? I have never used the Magic Eye system, I just use a an AV sender but I thought it was a remodulated UHF signal.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I think the AV output device is the UHF Mod.

Thanks

Dat's OK then...30 should do that.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast