Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Like Tree40Likes

Sky Q

This is a discussion on Sky Q within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Assuming the rumours are wrong and the new boxes will be supplied under similar terms to the existing boxes what ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q

Assuming the rumours are wrong and the new boxes will be supplied under similar terms to the existing boxes what will happen when someone cancels their subscription? The SkyQ and SkyQ Silver could act as freesat boxes without PVR facilities but what about the SkyQ Mini? Either it would be useless or Sky would have to allow free channels to be streamed from the parent box.

Support will probably be handled in the same way that the Sky Voice and Broadband Network (SVBN) was handled when first introduced. As initially there will be few SkyQ boxes compared with other boxes a team will be trained from experienced TV support handlers. The automated call menu would direct SkyQ customers requiring technical support to this team. As box numbers and experience of the problems customers call with increases scripted first line support can be developed and rolled out to the general TV technical support staff accompanied by a short course (probably lasting a day or less) or CBT at their call desks.
      gymno likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I doubt if we'll know for sure until just before the launch when Sky announces the product packages and any initial deals just whether or not the Skq Q products will be sold or rented.

Certainly renting could mean that after cancellation those boxes should be returned to Sky some how. It would also mean that you won't seen any second hand boxes on eBay.

On the positive side renting would mean that should your Sky Q box fail, then Sky will be required to replace it. It would also mean that should Sky release a new model with eve more storage space or other features that you would love to have, you wouldn't be screaming because they want say 250, an issue that many people complain about with the current STBs.

Another positive thing from Sky's point of view is that the old boxes can be recycled rather than end up on the local tip.

It is going to be a difficult decision to make as it represents quite a major change in policy from Sky. I know that it wasn't handled well by NTL with major threats from them if they were unable to collect their property and was something which would have discouraged me from going to them.

As for support, I think that you've hit the nail on the head there.

Other than installation issues I can't see the team doing a great deal at first. I would hope that the new boxes are going to be more reliable than the latest Sky+ HD STBs. Sky have been proudly boasting how much better they are than when the Sky+ HD was first released and how much more reliable they are than any other STB produced by them.

I am sure that there will be some issues with the Powerline functionality. All too often we've heard of complaints with HomePlugs and Powerline adaptors on these and other forums so we'll be familiar with many of the issues.

I am expecting the Sky Hub to be locked down just as much as the current Sky routers. However over the years there has been a growing number of people on the forums who have been asking for more control within the router and some specific functionality to be included. I truly hope that this will be there.

We have won some concessions with the Sky Hubs. They have added additional support for providers of dynamic IP addresses as an example.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Some important updates:

Firstly I have an important apology to make. From the information I was provided at the launch it looked like all the Sky Q boxes only supported HDMI as an output.

Following some further investigation I found out that there is in fact an AV port on the rear of the Sky Q Mini box (photo below).

Sky Q-sky-q-mini-back-inputs-cut-out-small-.jpg

As you can see it is located next to the HDMI port. I understand that it looks much like the AV port that appears on the Roku box. If this is the case then provided that it is enabled, it should mean that it will be easier to attach this box to an SD TV or perhaps a DVD recorder.

Another thing which I was trying to find out about and can now confirm was whether or not it would be possible to mount these boxes directly to a wall. Some routers and network switches come with holes for screws to make this possible. Sadly this is not the case with the Sky Q boxes. This means that they must be placed flat on a surface.

There are also holes underneath. I would suggest that a TV stand of shelf would be the most suitable place to locate it.

Remote Controls have been the subject of discussion too. Whilst the new Sky Q remotes use Bluetooth, the Sky Q TV boxes can be operated by the existing Sky+ HD remotes.

Finally, for those who are suggesting that Sky will stop the development of the Sky+ HD range, I have had confirmation from the development team that this is most definitely not the case.

Essentially I was given a taster of some of the things which they are working on for the next 12 months, including R014.

Their current road map sees development plans for several years to come, so even with the work that is going on for 2016, the DRX89x range has a long life ahead with some great features to improve it even more than it has been over the past few years.

So for those who can't afford or don't which to upgrade to the new Sky Q range, there are lots more things on the horizon for your Sky+ HD & SkyHD STBs.
      Meteosat, barriead and seawright like this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

bubblegun (03-12-15),Meteosat (30-11-15)

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Firstly I have an important apology to make. From the information I was provided at the launch it looked like all the Sky Q boxes only supported HDMI as an output.
      I thought that was pretty standard for years now...

Thanks

There are still a lot of people who have SD TVs at home, so I guess not.

Sky needs to deal with a very wide range of customers and not everyone who might be interested in the new Sky Q range will be limited to just HD or $K UHD TVs. Some will have an SD TV.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Some tech sites were reporting that the SkyQ box has a HDMI-in port. Is this true and care to speculate on it's function.

Also if you get SkyQ you will need to only have those boxes in your home, other types of box will need another dish/lnb.
      I would expect Humax to bring out Freesat boxes supporting these new lnb's but that probably won't be for a few years.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

A little bit more information for those living in flats or apartments who can't have their own dish:

https://communaltv.sky.com/news/the-...-director-sky/

Compatibility with communal TV systems
      How do you know if you can access Sky Q if you live in a flat or an apartment, or if you manage a block of flats for a group of residents?
      Many blocks of flats have communal TV systems installed with a shared dish to serve all flats. In order for your buildings to be Sky Q ready, you’ll need a simple system upgrade to the communal TV system. If you supply the details of your block(s) we will arrange a free survey for you. Providing there are no additional costs involved then the upgrade will be free, subject to survey.
      A Sky Q ready upgrade is an enhancement to your existing communal system where a DSCR (Digital Single Cable Router - switch containing Ethan –Ready technology) switch is fitted at the head end (Location of switches and other equipment) allowing anyone that wants Sky Q to be connected. This new switch will work with either Sky Q or Sky+ customers.
      Since August, we have been proactively upgrading blocks with the new hardware to make them Sky Q ready. Once we launch, if an MDU customer purchases Sky Q in a block that has not been upgraded, we will then reactively upgrade the block.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Some tech sites were reporting that the SkyQ box has a HDMI-in port. Is this true and care to speculate on it's function.
      Yes there is a HDMI In Port on both the Sky Q and Sky Q Silver boxes.

For the present time their specific purpose has not been disclosed and is referred to for future development.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Also if you get SkyQ you will need to only have those boxes in your home, other types of box will need another dish/lnb.
      I would expect Humax to bring out Freesat boxes supporting these new lnb's but that probably won't be for a few years.
      seawright's answer deals with communal dishes. Unfortunately information for the standard dishes and LNBs is a little thin on the ground. Currently the only information states that the LNB for the Sky Q boxes has 2 ports and is incompatible with the existing Sky+ HD STBs.

Of course this doesn't mean that other LNBs won't be available when Sky Q is properly launched.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

A question, the units support Powerline technology, what happens if I already have powerline units, which I do, I do not want Sky's powerline interfering with mine, can it be turned off?
      Last edited by marjohn56; 28-11-15 at 11:47 AM.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa
      -----------------------------------------------------------

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      seawright's answer deals with communal dishes. Unfortunately information for the standard dishes and LNBs is a little thin on the ground. Currently the only information states that the LNB for the Sky Q boxes has 2 ports and is incompatible with the existing Sky+ HD STBs.

Of course this doesn't mean that other LNBs won't be available when Sky Q is properly launched.
      As far as we know SkyQ should be compatible with most multiswitches that are used in dual feed communal dish systems. There are 2 signal "spins"? And high and low on each, so there are four signals needed for Sky TV. As long as your dish/multiswitch can output two of these (I forget which two) then SkyQ will be supported.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      A question, the units support Powerline technology, what happens if I already have powerline units, which I do, I do not want Sky's powerline interfering with mine, can it be turned off?
      All I (we) know about the powerline system is that it will be incompatible with other systems on the market. As to whether 2 systems can work at the same time then that is unlikely. It will likely be possible to switch it off since the boxes can also function using WiFi instead. Hopefully there will also be an Ethernet option that doesn't interfere with the rest of the home network.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast