Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Like Tree40Likes

Sky Q

This is a discussion on Sky Q within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by woppy101 I'm almost certain that's why when you watch box sets and movies on demand they arnt ...

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q

Quote Originally Posted by woppy101 View Post
      I'm almost certain that's why when you watch box sets and movies on demand they arnt available in 1080p because that would then show how bad the satellite feed really is
      Perhaps that is the reason why On Demand downloads are worse than the broadcast. I always see lots of banding from On Demand. Plus the recordings use up more space than On Demand for this reason.

It is one of the main reasons I prefer recording than anything from On Demand.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
      That and the fact that your own recordings don't auto-delete (unless you run out of disk space).

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

According to the software I use for rendering my videos, 3840x2160 video would work at 65Mbps. Now that's quite a bit.

I've not looked at the broadcasting standards that were ratfied for 4K UHD TV only this week, but 65Mbps would put most home networks under a lot of stress. It would rule out the ability for most people being able to stream any on-line content such as Netflix, so they have had to adopt some for of encryption system.

I know that I can stream some UHD content to my tablet. Admittedly it is only 1440p I can see it at, but it is better than 1080p.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

woppy101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
      Perhaps that is the reason why On Demand downloads are worse than the broadcast. I always see lots of banding from On Demand. Plus the recordings use up more space than On Demand for this reason.

That's got to be the reason they send out DVDs when you buy from sky store, they don't want you to see how bad the picture quality really is

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      According to the software I use for rendering my videos, 3840x2160 video would work at 65Mbps. Now that's quite a bit.

I've not looked at the broadcasting standards that were ratfied for 4K UHD TV only this week, but 65Mbps would put most home networks under a lot of stress. It would rule out the ability for most people being able to stream any on-line content such as Netflix, so they have had to adopt some for of encryption system.

I know that I can stream some UHD content to my tablet. Admittedly it is only 1440p I can see it at, but it is better than 1080p.
      Netflix and Amazon use nowhere near that when streaming 4K, I have never seen more than 25-30mbps usage from my network when watching 4k Netflix/Amazon. Edit I am watching Marco Polo in uhd at the minute and my network is fluctuating between 17-21mbps

Thanks

For streaming a lot depends on the type of encoding employed. Some of the latest systems only transmit one full frame per second. All other video data represents the differences between the current and previous frames.
      Scubbie likes this.

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Proper 1080i would be great if Sky were to transmit it. What Sky pass of as HD and transmit is so highly compressed, only slow moving or static screens look OK.
      I wonder what compression they will use and how it will look when they transmit UHD ?
      Something severe I expect if it is going to be recorded by the box.

woppy101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      Proper 1080i would be great if Sky were to transmit it. What Sky pass of as HD and transmit is so highly compressed, only slow moving or static screens look OK.
      I wonder what compression they will use and how it will look when they transmit UHD ?
      Something severe I expect if it is going to be recorded by the box.
      Totally agree some of the stuff they try to pass off as HD is shocking, and once you see some of sky's broadcasts on an OLED tv you will then truly see how bad it really is, especially on some of the lower ire's where they are cutting out a lot of shadow detail because most TVs can't show it so don't miss it.
      This is my TV and it is by far the best TV I have ever owned and gives the best picture quality I have ever seen produced by a tv, but it is totally unforgiving to any low quality,low bitrate broadcast and it shows how much sky really cut out of the picture broadcast.
      http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...24836-pdt.html
      Last edited by woppy101; 22-11-15 at 08:30 PM.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

There was me thinking 4K referred to the definition not the price.

For anyone willing to pay that for a TV I can't see them quibbling over the price required to buy quality content.

How it gets delivered (satellite, cable, FTTP, snail-mail) is another matter.
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I wonder if Santa will look kindly on me this year

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

My TV is nowhere near that price or specification & it produces a great display from a blueray.......................and lots of squares and jerkiness on most Sky "HD" channels in moving scenes.
      Eurosport looks good though.
      If only the rest of the "HD" channels were to Eurosports standard.
      I hope 4K isn't going to be the same on Sky when it starts, great still shots with lousy panning.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast