Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Like Tree40Likes

Sky Q

This is a discussion on Sky Q within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; You don't have to do anything as we're still living in a free country but I do take your point. ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q

You don't have to do anything as we're still living in a free country but I do take your point.

As more and more devices are now connected by wifi perhaps two ports will be enough.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Personally I will always believe that Ethernet is better than WiFi.

Sure WiFi is convenient as it allows you to move around more, with less wires trailing around after you. Security is much better now than it used to be, but not impossible to crack. In a busy environment with lots of neighbours sharing the same, or neighbouring, channels you will have to share the signal with their ever demanding needs too.

With Ethernet the transfer rate is much better for large amounts of data transfer when required. In my case I can backup things considerably quicker via Ethernet than is possible via WiFi.

However there are some issues that would be shared with WiFi. For example when transferring content from one NAS to a computer with a 100mb connection, any transfer between my laptop and the other NAS would be hampered as both would share a cable between switches. That's more of a flaw in my network setup though.
      coipu and vfx like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

In general terms that's true. I have three switches around the house. So from my OR modem it goes into the firewall/Router ( 1 port ), out of the firewall into the D7000 ( now acting as a WAP ) and from the D7000 out to the rest of the house on Powerline. When it gets to my study it goes into a 16 port switch, under the TV there's another 5 port switch and in SWMBO's study another 5 port switch.

Wifi is just not good enough for the fixed devices, most of which do not have WiFi anway, I prefer a bit of copper.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      However there are some issues that would be shared with WiFi. For example when transferring content from one NAS to a computer with a 100mb connection, any transfer between my laptop and the other NAS would be hampered as both would share a cable between switches. That's more of a flaw in my network setup though.

100Mbps Switches, surely you have long since gone to Gigabit switches?
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      100Mbps Switches, surely you have long since gone to Gigabit switches?
      Yes. I have 3 8-Port 1gbit network switches. Whilst the Sky Hub SR101 has 100mb ports, my LAN is controlled by the WNDR3800.

What I have found in the past when I was transferring some large files between two devices connected to two different switches. Any other traffic that shared the same link between the switches was reduced to a maximum of 100mb or a portion of that.

This wouldn't happen if the 100mb devices are both connected on the same switch as the traffic would be directed between each socket and wouldn't interfere with anything else.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

Strange, if the link between the switches is gigabit I don't see why it should slow down.
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

woppy101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The one question I have is " are sky now going to transmit in 1080p or are we still going to be stuck with low bit rate 1080i"?

Thanks

lol - I've just replied elsewhere to your question:

Whilst the LNB needs to be changed, your dish will still be pointing at the same group of Satellites.

All the transmissions are going to be the same for HD content as they are now. So sadly it'll remain at 1080i for HD.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm almost certain that's why when you watch box sets and movies on demand they arnt available in 1080p because that would then show how bad the satellite feed really is

Thanks

I suspect that its more down to them having rendered just the one version at 1080i.

Did you know that 1080i requires something like 18Mbps and 1080p requires 28Mbps? Add into this an alternative sound track for Audio description and subtitles, and the bandwidth that is required can get quite expensive.

Also a lot of people might get upset if their Internet connection was swamped with larger requirements.

Also the space required on our hard drives would never be enough for all those larger films and TV programmes that are now even larger.

Whilst it is fine for you and I, sadly the service needs to be able to work for everyone.

The good new is that the 4K UHD specification listed in the documentation for the Sky Q Silver makes no mention of 2160i. It only mentions 2160p.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I suspect that its more down to them having rendered just the one version at 1080i.

Did you know that 1080i requires something like 18Mbps and 1080p requires 28Mbps? Add into this an alternative sound track for Audio description and subtitles, and the bandwidth that is required can get quite expensive.

Also a lot of people might get upset if their Internet connection was swamped with larger requirements.

Also the space required on our hard drives would never be enough for all those larger films and TV programmes that are now even larger.

Whilst it is fine for you and I, sadly the service needs to be able to work for everyone.

The good new is that the 4K UHD specification listed in the documentation for the Sky Q Silver makes no mention of 2160i. It only mentions 2160p.
      That can only be a good thing that its 2160p, thing is though Netflix and Amazon prime are nowhere near 28mbps even in 4K and the picture quality they produce is excellent, I think that's what annoys everyone with sky cutting the bitrate constantly and still transmitting in 1080i when these can produce such a good picture.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast