Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Like Tree40Likes

Sky Q

This is a discussion on Sky Q within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I feel your pain and am in a similar position. I'm waiting until next tues when actual pricing and ordering ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q

I feel your pain and am in a similar position. I'm waiting until next tues when actual pricing and ordering in on the systems. I'll try online and see what prices it comes up with, then I'll try the online chat.

I've already ditched movies and am on half price for everything else. I could potentially ditch sport to perhaps offset any increase.

My main concern is that I have coax connection from RF2 to 3 other TVs in the house which I would prefer to keep and it's not clear if the new box will allow this (with an addon like the newer boxes).

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

The new Sky Q STB's do not have the facilities to feed any other TV's via coax or magic eye's.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I'm assuming they won't support this either Sky iO-Link for SkyHD | Maplin

Thanks

No facilities for the IO Link I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      I'm assuming they won't support this either Sky iO-Link for SkyHD | Maplin
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      The new Sky Q STB's do not have the facilities to feed any other TV's via coax or magic eye's.
      Why would anyone want to? Really small TV? I know it looks awful on a 37 let alone it is in mono. Can't imagine it on bigger sets.

Thanks

Correct its old outdated technology and anyway with SkyQ why would you want a eye anyway.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

It's been confirmed now that whilst at first sales will be limiting 1 Sky Q or Sky Q Silver box to each home, along with no more than 2 Sky Q Mini boxes, it is possible to purchase up to 4 Sky Q Minis and connect them them.

However you will still be limited to using 1 Sky Q Mini at a time with the Sky Q box or 2 Sky Q Minis with the Sky Q Silver.

As for connecting to additional TVs, there is a clear movement away from the Magic Eye & UHF feeds for some time.

It is possible to purchase an adaptor to connect from the AV adaptor which should be available with the Sky Q Mini (not Sky Q or Silver). Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eneo%C2%A0-%.../dp/B008HNNNV0

Alternatively you could use a HDMI spliter.

The next issue to resolve is how to control the Sky Q Mini from another room. An IR Sender/Blaster may help here. Until people start receiving the Sky Q Mini this can't be confirmed 100%.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bru
      bru is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: sittingbourne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

So if I want a Sky Q silver(2TB) in my main room, a Sky Q (1TB) in bedroom1 and a Sky Q mini(noHDD) in bedroom 2. Will I be able to watch anything from either box in bedroom2 and can you watch stuff on the box in bedroom one in the main room and vice a versa?

That is of course if they will sell me such a setup.

Maybe it would be better to wait till later in the year for when the UHD channels start and they release the Sky Q gold box with a bigger HDD (4TB maybe)?

edit: doh...posted this in the news and announcements thread, when it should of gone in the FAQ thread I suppose....doh
      NVIDIA's CEO Jen-Hsun Huang "How much faster can you render the blue screen of death?"

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bru View Post
      So if I want a Sky Q silver(2TB) in my main room, a Sky Q (1TB) in bedroom1 and a Sky Q mini(noHDD) in bedroom 2. Will I be able to watch anything from either box in bedroom2 and can you watch stuff on the box in bedroom one in the main room and vice a versa?

That is of course if they will sell me such a setup.

Maybe it would be better to wait till later in the year for when the UHD channels start and they release the Sky Q gold box with a bigger HDD (4TB maybe)?

edit: doh...posted this in the news and announcements thread, when it should of gone in the FAQ thread I suppose....doh
      No. You can only have either the Sky Q or the Sky Q Silver box. You can't have both.

There is much speculation about what Sky could offer at a later date. 4TB 2.5" drives have only recently been released (well 6 moths ago anyway). They are going to be hugely expensive at this time.

Of course if Sky are using a modified FAT file system, then there could be limits on the size they can use anyway.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bru
      bru is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: sittingbourne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No. You can only have either the Sky Q or the Sky Q Silver box. You can't have both.

There is much speculation about what Sky could offer at a later date. 4TB 2.5" drives have only recently been released (well 6 moths ago anyway). They are going to be hugely expensive at this time.

Of course if Sky are using a modified FAT file system, then there could be limits on the size they can use anyway.

Well that just seems a step backwards, if you cannot have more than one box with a HDD. 2TB at that.

I didn't realise they were using 2.5" drives, lol, I just assumed 3.5" as it is cheaper.
      NVIDIA's CEO Jen-Hsun Huang "How much faster can you render the blue screen of death?"

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast