Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

Sky gears up to launch SkyQ

This is a discussion on Sky gears up to launch SkyQ within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by lettice A few more things I've found out; Sky Q will need to have the lnb swapped ...

mpreed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky gears up to launch SkyQ

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      A few more things I've found out;

Sky Q will need to have the lnb swapped out, but the cable runs and dish can remain. I mentioned this earlier, but you will not b able to have a mix of Sky+ and Sky Q hardware sharing the same dish feed.
      How will this affect flats which all use a communal dish? I'm presuming they will have a way to have some flats move to Sky Q and some stay on Sky+?

2. Advertisement
      lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpreed View Post
      How will this affect flats which all use a communal dish? I'm presuming they will have a way to have some flats move to Sky Q and some stay on Sky+?
      Not sure, its not an area I know much about.
      But sky do mention SKY Q on their communal sites that may be of interest;

https://communaltv.sky.com/property-managers/
      https://communaltv.sky.com/residents/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

mpreed (20-11-15)

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

So what does it offer that your current STB doesn't?

• Planner sharing
      • Hugely improved GUI
      • WiFi Hot spots (with the Sky Q Hub)
      • Ability to pick up content where you finished watching it, no matter where you watched it last and where you are watching it now
      • Ability to record something on your Sky Q box, copy that to your tablet and then watch it when you are away from home (currently you are limited to content you can download from Sky)
      • 4K UHD (Sky Q Silver) when Sky launches their UHD channels next year
      • Ability to check on what the children, sorry cats, are watching (perhaps they've swapped over to watch their cousin on Nat Geo)

Also as the remote doesn't use Infra-red, no more issues with pointing it at the Sky box to change channels. No more issues with the TV's back lighting interfering with the Infra-red sensor on the Sky box. For those with more than one STB, you don't need to have miles of cabling from the dish to each and every room.

Yes it would be beneficial to buy in to the whole Sky Q experience to appreciate the whole product range. This is something a lot of people will feel uncomfortable with. You don't need to though.
      Couldn't respond before now as my PC suffered a major meltdown and only now is it sort of back to where it should be, yes I have got more than one device but it's the one I do work on so most of my time has gone into getting it sorted... bloody windows 10!

Anway...

• Why do I need to share my planner and who am I supposed to share it with? Shall I share it with everyone here? Would they be interested?
      • HUGELY improved GUI? Sorry? It has pictures instead of words.. I CAN read quite quickly and if I don't know what something looks like then how is a picture going to help?
      • Wifi Hotspots... Unless it's hard wired then they are repeaters, and we know how reliable they are!
      • The ability to record something, download it and watch it whilst you are away - OK, that has merit, but so far that's the only thing.
      • 4K - Sorry dont need it. You need a screen of at least 50" to justify it, then what, 8K so you need a 70" screen?
      • OK, if you have children, the cat's have no opposable thumbs so they have trouble with the remote, so we select what they can watch anway.

So out of your six points AFAICS only two have merit. It's not enough unless prices stay the same or increase only a small amount.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Phew! We're getting there .

For anyone who has more than one STB in the home it can be a real PITA if you've recorded something on the wrong box. Of course one issue will be removed that could cause people to do this - recording 4 items at once.

Sure you may have the one STB but many out there have more than one. I think that it is safe to say that whilst the existing Sky+ HD and SkyHD STBs are not going to be pulled with a complete switch to Sky Q, Sky are attempting to encourage a box in each room that you are going to watch TV in.

Not only can you watch say an episode of Game of Thrones in the lounge, but if you pause or stop, you can go to bed and pick up the same episode in the same position, without having to remember, and continue watching it there. Guess what, it gets better. The bath has been running and you can now pick it up on your tablet and continue watching whilst you have that nice long soak in the bath.

Most people find graphical representation better than words. That was made clear in the presentation and from what I've learnt elsewhere. I personally can type relatively quickly (self taught at college during a computer course or two). I struggle with keyboards laid out in an alphabetical manner and also have 'fun' when typing on my tablet. Does this mean that no one should use tablets? Of course not. Everyone is different.

There is now available in the shops 28" and 40" 4K UHD TVs. They are considerably cheaper than what the 50" TVs were this time last year. I haven't popped in to Currys to see one of them yet, so perhaps I don't know just how good they are compared to the existing HD TVs.

I am aware that all the press have said that you need to have a large TV to truly benefit from 4K, but I like to actually see things for myself sometimes. It's also worth asking just who is saying these things. Perhaps the manufacturers want us to buy the larger TVs? Sorry I shouldn't be so cynical .

With editing the videos that I recorded over the past year I have seen some limitations in HD. This isn't just on my TVs, but also my laptop with its 1600x900 resolution. 4K and 8K cameras are just a little bit outside my budget at the moment, although I do buy a Lotto ticket so you never know.

I would suggest that you don't have to take the 4K UHD option when it goes live, provided that Sky follow previous practises and make it an optional extra like they do with HD to this day. Of course there are some who would love Sky to make HD free.

I would love to post a video of the EPG in action. Unfortunately we were specifically banned from recording it. I did try . I even set up my camera on a tripod for one of the demos but had to turn it off.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I think this will have limited appeal, You will have those who must have the latest gear that will go for it. But I think the majority will not be prepared to shell out more money for more gimmicks. They should have spent the money on improving the programme content, instead of showing endless repeats. With all the recent price increases Sky is already over priced, and they are having to give there customers offers in order to retain them, so I cant see a lot of them being prepared to pay more.

Mickr
      marjohn56 likes this.

Thanks

Perhaps initially you are right.

Again this is going to be marketed as a premium product, leaving the existing range of STBs still current.

I forgot to respond about the WiFi hotspot functionality from the Sky Q TV boxes. This function is designed only to work with the new Sky Q Hub. All connect via the mains power and the local network signal will be passed using the PowerLine adaptor specification, not HomePlug.

Now we already know on these forums that this can be an issue for some homes. However we don't know what the transmission speed will be nor if they've worked things so that it'll be more reliable.

What I do know from the beta testing which I've been involved with is the kind of attitude and philosophy which is adopted. Basically someone will have been using and testing it in a number of environments. Perhaps also, not mentioned but certainly possible for the future, Sky will consider adding a few PowerLine adaptors of their own at a later date. Who knows? It is possible.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Perhaps initially you are right.
      I forgot to respond about the WiFi hotspot functionality from the Sky Q TV boxes. This function is designed only to work with the new Sky Q Hub. All connect via the mains power and the local network signal will be passed using the PowerLine adaptor specification, not HomePlug.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePl...rline_Alliance - Homeplug is just a friendly name, same thing.

My issue is that in needs to be AV2, not 1.1.

AV2 uses all three wires, L,E & N, thus giving a considerable improvement in performance. It seems VERY short sighted of them not to go for the latest technology, a bit like the routers currently supplied.

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Annie UK likes this.

Thanks

Sky fans will be queing up? I think the jury is still out on that one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePl...rline_Alliance - Homeplug is just a friendly name, same thing.

My issue is that in needs to be AV2, not 1.1.

AV2 uses all three wires, L,E & N, thus giving a considerable improvement in performance. It seems VERY short sighted of them not to go for the latest technology, a bit like the routers currently supplied.
      All I can say is what was mentioned at the press event and has already been repeated on the forums and in the press.

This was an overview of the new product range, not a full technical briefing. It is unlikely that they would say that it will work from the outset if they have been having too many problems.

There was a similar amount of scepticism when Sky first announce their Sky 3D channel and supporting Digital Dolby over the HDMI with the current STBs. Ok sadly the Sky 3D channel has now closed, but it worked. With regards to the Dolby Digital sound being completely impossible with the chipset that Sky has in the DRX89x range of STBs, well I guess that myth was blown out of the water too.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast