Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

Sky gears up to launch SkyQ

This is a discussion on Sky gears up to launch SkyQ within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; A few more things I've found out; Andrew Olson has stated that Sky Q Silver box will be HDMI 2.0 ...

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky gears up to launch SkyQ

A few more things I've found out;
      Andrew Olson has stated that Sky Q Silver box will be HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 equipped, and not as wrongly stated in the product sheets.

Sky Q will need to have the lnb swapped out, but the cable runs and dish can remain. I mentioned this earlier, but you will not b able to have a mix of Sky+ and Sky Q hardware sharing the same dish feed.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

On price its an interesting one as the boxes allow differing mini tv options so can be two tiered.
      So having a price similar to the current multiscreen and sky go extra options, you can say that cost will be absorbed as many have that now.
      There will no doubt be a 4k/hdr sub and it seems that will be around the current hd price and would obviously replace it. We are certainly being hammered form sky in recent surveys now about our thoughts on making hd the standard, so they are certainly thinking hard about it.
      Some are hinting that the whole sky q experience is where the cost will lie and are hinting at a 13 sub to have its planner/sharing/continuum/apps etc.
      As for the boxes, well they could be on a new rent plan that has been hinted for a while now, Not sure we will see the free at the start. I expect one mini may come included, more at cost.

What I would like to see though is a bit more variance in the packages.
      Im happy with my sports, drama, news, the uk gold, universal, syfi, cbs, watch type of channels and of course the freeview set along with their associated catch up and box sets.
      But we do not require kids, any asian/foreign, docs, mtv and all those video music channels.
      But I think they would not be able to offer them as a package in their own right to make it work.
      Last edited by lettice; 19-11-15 at 10:49 AM.

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

What disturbed me was the comment that they were using it as an opportunity to increase general prices to cover the extra cost of football.
      Surely that should be borne by the charges for the sports channels and the people that WANT to pay and watch the football NOT those that deliberately choose not to. Bad move that that will cost them some customers.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Thanks

What disturbed me was the comment that they were using it as an opportunity to increase general prices to cover the extra cost of football.
      Surely that should be borne by the charges for the sports channels and the people that WANT to pay and watch the football NOT those that deliberately choose not to. Bad move that that will cost them some customers.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Unfortunately Sky has been raising their prices above the current rate of inflation.

The impression I am getting is due to:

• Competition from BT Sports, paid for through BDUK & over changing the ISPs access to the BTO infrastructure
      • Competition from Netflix and Amazon

Of course this is just my opinion. It is based upon the various news stories that have been published over the years. I could be wrong.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Well surely this is the wrong way to go about it.
      What I think you are saying is that "supplier" is raising his prices, not because his costs are higher, but because he knows that the customer has no choice but to pay up and he is greedy.

BTW nothing personal!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Thanks, I'm not taking it personally.

The sad fact is that BT wanted to compete with Sky. They bought Setanta sports, then bid over the sensible going rate for the rights to various football matches and are now including Sky Sports as a freebie to anyone who signs up to BT Infinity and take YouView from BT as well.

It appears that the money to fund all this is profits from all the work that BTO are doing in order to get FTTC rolled out across the country at the expense of BDUK.

BTO are also raising the fees that are charged to providers such as TalkTalk and Sky in order to generate more income. Those charges in turn are passed on to anyone who subscribes to TalkTalk and Sky broadband products.

Sky had to make a higher bid in order to retain some rights to show some of the football matches that they are still able to do. Currently none of the Championship league is available to Sky customers as BT bought all of that.

Now as far as I'm concerned footballers get paid far too much for what they do. It's also only the men's side that is really getting all the money. Hardly any goes to the women's teams.

If it was truly benefiting the UK footballers then teams such as England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales would be doing much better. Instead it's mostly going to the foreign footballers that are leaping over all the home-grown talent that can't now be developed and guarantees that our own national sides will never win an International trophy for many years to come.

Rant over? Ok.

So no I am not defending Sky's price increases. I am merely attempting to make sense of them.

Again, for the legal department, this is all just my opinion which is based upon what I am seeing in the press.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Have a guess as the only sport I never watch??
      I have never been to a match and have only very very occasionally watched one on TV when England are being embarrassing.
      I only got Sky for the F1 coverage and my wife has some films.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Thanks, I'm not taking it personally.

The sad fact is that BT wanted to compete with Sky. They bought Setanta sports, then bid over the sensible going rate for the rights to various football matches and are now including Sky Sports as a freebie to anyone who signs up to BT Infinity and take YouView from BT as well.

It appears that the money to fund all this is profits from all the work that BTO are doing in order to get FTTC rolled out across the country at the expense of BDUK.

BTO are also raising the fees that are charged to providers such as TalkTalk and Sky in order to generate more income. Those charges in turn are passed on to anyone who subscribes to TalkTalk and Sky broadband products.

Sky had to make a higher bid in order to retain some rights to show some of the football matches that they are still able to do. Currently none of the Championship league is available to Sky customers as BT bought all of that.

Now as far as I'm concerned footballers get paid far too much for what they do. It's also only the men's side that is really getting all the money. Hardly any goes to the women's teams.

If it was truly benefiting the UK footballers then teams such as England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales would be doing much better. Instead it's mostly going to the foreign footballers that are leaping over all the home-grown talent that can't now be developed and guarantees that our own national sides will never win an International trophy for many years to come.

Rant over? Ok.

So no I am not defending Sky's price increases. I am merely attempting to make sense of them.

Again, for the legal department, this is all just my opinion which is based upon what I am seeing in the press.
      Sorry Scubbie.
      But much of what you are saying above is wrong.

BT never bought Setanta and have no involvement with them, except licensing out some channels as below.
      Think you are thinking of Setanta GB that had Premier League and other sports and went into administration in 2009. ESPN came in to honour the Setanta GB rights holdings for the next season, as they were put out to tender because of the Setanta GB collapse.
      Setanta in Ireland is a successful Irish sports channel that for Irish customers on cable, virgin and sky offers their own sports channels and as part of the package they offer through license BT sport and ESPN.
      Setanta was setup in 1990 by Irish backers and has gone through many changes and the GB expansion plan hit them hard financially, but they have now come through that and are solely Irish based.
      They have had many licenses and offerings around the world for some of their own channels in their history, namely US, Canada, Asia and Australia.

Sky sports is not free on BT, It is an extra and costs BT TV subscribers 22 a month or 27 a month in HD only for Sky Sports 1/2
      BT have their own channels and for free with conditions and certain package configurations you get BT sport Lite, this does show the 38 premier league matches (which Ofcom dictates).
      To gain access to their other channels you have to take out a subscription to the BT Sport Pack' for 5 per month if you are on BT broadband or 19.99 without BT broadband and that gives you BT Sport 2, BT sport Europe and BT Sport ESPN. If you take BT infinity broadband and the BT TV subscription you then get these channels for free.

BT sport espn is a licensed channel from ESPN US and has American Sports, including NBA. NHL, College football, Baseball, indycar and other motosport.

As for those comments on the Premier League, thats your opinion, but much of it is rant, as you say
      The premier Legue is the ultimate league across the world and the rights are sold worldwide, hence the top players, which is why its a mix of nations.
      Check out the FA website to see the huge amount of money that supports grass roots football, gained from those rights.
      As for womens football, that has recently grown and grown and shows as they regularly have it on many sports channels regularly now and the attendances have been amazing. Not my cup of tea though. Women and football, nah!
      As for the effect on our international teams, that's just nonsense, but not a debate for here.
      To be honest, sky football coverage, and I've been watching since the beginning is the best in the world (and Ive seen a lot of it on my travels over the years). Yes they did bid higher than they should of and sky have admitted that. Its done, sky made more money and revenue than ever, so little financial dent, but will make cuts and changes, but its their core business puller. Their new sky q is coming, so for me that excess is forgotten and now I will look forward to some fun times and will enjoy the sports.
      As a football and sports fan, its still excellent value, 70 a month for sky sports, and the excellent sky atlantic, free broadband, half price rental and sky go. I've not seen any increase really through many sky deals for quite a few years and am paying less than I did two years ago, so im happy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (20-11-15)

Thanks

Back to Sky Q

Hearing from many sources and some quoting from sky that you will no longer own the box and will get free ongoing breakdown support.
      So none or minimal outlay for the box, much like the Virgin model.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast