Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

Sky gears up to launch SkyQ

This is a discussion on Sky gears up to launch SkyQ within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Yeah if it doesn't work with my pfSense router I don't want Sky Q at all. That or I'll just ...

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: pfSense VM on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky gears up to launch SkyQ

Yeah if it doesn't work with my pfSense router I don't want Sky Q at all. That or I'll just move ISP's.
      Current Sync 79999/19999

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

I agree with you, I like new toys but I'm afraid after reading all the bumph....I'm not sold, I'll be a ludite and stay with my old 890 till it pops its clogs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Yeah if it doesn't work with my pfSense router I don't want Sky Q at all. That or I'll just move ISP's.
      Tomorrow's the day, I'll be joining the pfsense ranks!
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It may be that Foxtel in Australia were early adopters, hence the teething troubles, with their IQ3 set top box but having lurked on their community forum I get the impression that after being available for nearly a year take up has been disappointing.

I hope SkyQ lives up to the hype and that it will be competitively priced or else Sky's premium product could turn out to be a big white elephant.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but it wouldn't surprise me if the eventual launch price isn't based on the number of interests registered on the Sky website.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

SkyQ is a sellable product to the must have gadget people but the normal everyday peeps that just want a recordable box and something to watch Coronation street on its a no go.

The only way it will work is......

1) Offer it as a premium product but only increase the price by say 5 a month 10 at the most
      2) Offer it to current customer base to increase the market of SkyQ boxes again just at a install fee

Or

The other view is Sky plan to drop the current SkyHD box style and over time the only boxes available will be the SkyQ setup.

Time will tell.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

My own TV subscription is around 69 per month at the present time. I could add Sky Sports for an additional 17.50 but I've currently no intention to do so. The same can be said with regards to the Asian pack which would be an additional 15.

So if I did have everything at this time I could be paying 101.50.

Now I'm just guessing here as there was no indication of the possible price for Sky Q, but lets say that Sky were to add an additional 10 per box, in the same way they did with HD when that was launched. That could mean someone like me could end up paying 89, but someone with all the Sky packs could be paying 121.50.

Add to this Sky Fibre Pro, Sky Talk and perhaps Sky Talk Anytime and the whole package becomes quite expensive.

Before everyone cries foul and claims that they won't be getting it, it was stated that this would be sold as a premium product. There are people out there with spare money. The UK economy is starting to recover and there will be more who will be able to afford this.

When I went to college only a relatively small percentage went. Now most people go. An even smaller percentage went to University. Now that figure is much larger too.

People will subscribe to Sky Q. They'll find the money.

How many people will depend on just how much people love it.

Having seen it being used, I think that it is safe to say that they will love it.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Router: HG612B + pfSense 2.3.3.a.20160903.1846
      Sky TV: DRX890c 2Tb
      Thanks

Yes, but you just love new toys...

Let's look at it from a logical point of view, ask the following question -

• Does it provide anything I don't already have that I need?

Sadly, in my case the answer is no. We have no children here, two cats, but they only watch the odd program.

We have a sender which relays the Sky rx to the TV in the bedroom, it's only a 20" TV so HD is not important.

I don't need to record more than two channels at the same time, there's not enough decent viewing to warrant it, and if there is, on that very odd occasion, I re-schedule something or I can use catch up.

All those apps!!!! Yes, My lounge TV can do all of that, as can my Sony Blu-Ray player.

Then there's the tablets, yes, I can do all that now too.

So what's left? erm.... the box is prettier?

I'm not a Ludite and I am not tight fisted, but I do expect value for money, and FYI Mr Darroch this is not it.
      speedyrite likes this.
      To every rule there is an exception, and vice versa

Thanks

lol - Whilst I may love new toys, there are some things that put me off different things.

Sadly I'm not a person with a 1m+ bank balance, so I too need to watch my money too.

Does it provide anything you don't already have that you need?

Of course not. You are free to turn off you TV any time that you wish. Earth will continue to spin on its axis and the sun will continue to feed the plants so that you can take a nice breath of fresh air outside.

• Will it bring something new and exciting? Yes.
      • Will it change how people watch TV content? Yes.
      • Will it improve our entertainment experience? Yes.

My phone can replicate whatever is shown on my lounge TV, albeit with a delay of a second or so. Sadly the same feature is not available on my tablet. I was really hoping that it would have been so I was upset when I found out it wasn't.

TV companies often broadcast a show that they believe will be popular at the same time as competitors broadcast their popular shows. This does mean that often someone will want to watch one thing and record two other channels at the same time, perhaps more. There are ways to handle this and the Sky+ app offers 'Clash management'. Of course with the number of repeats and CUTV, this is less of an issue than it used to be.

The TV in my bedroom sadly no longer has the YouTube app, despite Samsung pushing it when the TV was bought. I'm kind of upset about that. The TV in my lounge does have YouTube.

There are various other apps that are no longer available on my older TV and Vevo is another that is no longer available. The same is also true for my surround sound.

However, like yourself, my main TV has a huge number of apps. I've even linked the YouTube app so that I can stream youTube content directly from my PC, Laptop, phone or tablet to the TV and watch it in 1080p where available.

A lot of people don't have smart TVs, although it would be strange if the 'Premium' customers didn't have this year's model of Smart TV with the very latest app available.

I can also stream photos, music and video to both TVs directly from my computers, phone and tablet. The Sky Q box appears only to offer music, but may offer photos too. There was no suggestion of video content.

Its another USP.

So what does it offer that your current STB doesn't?

• Planner sharing
      • Hugely improved GUI
      • WiFi Hot spots (with the Sky Q Hub)
      • Ability to pick up content where you finished watching it, no matter where you watched it last and where you are watching it now
      • Ability to record something on your Sky Q box, copy that to your tablet and then watch it when you are away from home (currently you are limited to content you can download from Sky)
      • 4K UHD (Sky Q Silver) when Sky launches their UHD channels next year
      • Ability to check on what the children, sorry cats, are watching (perhaps they've swapped over to watch their cousin on Nat Geo)

Also as the remote doesn't use Infra-red, no more issues with pointing it at the Sky box to change channels. No more issues with the TV's back lighting interfering with the Infra-red sensor on the Sky box. For those with more than one STB, you don't need to have miles of cabling from the dish to each and every room.

Yes it would be beneficial to buy in to the whole Sky Q experience to appreciate the whole product range. This is something a lot of people will feel uncomfortable with. You don't need to though.
      Angel_Rex and barriead like this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I can also stream photos, music and video to both TVs directly from my computers, phone and tablet. The Sky Q box appears only to offer music, but may offer photos too. There was no suggestion of video content.
      You missed this is the presentation then and their product fact sheets and the online skyq website;

Sky gears up to launch SkyQ-sky-q-my-photos-tv.jpg

The box has airplay capability along with spotify.
      Scubbie likes this.

terryf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: retford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q silver
      Thanks

Does skyQ replace multiroom and Broadband? If it does 100 per month sounds fine by me.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Thanks lettice. I've still to digest all the material from the press event.

I know with my TV that there are issues about what video types I can stream, along with how the photos are handled.

The Windows Media Player seems to think that a thumbnail is sufficient for photos, yet other software can display them fully and the TVs can also zoom & pan. Questions to be answered at a later date for Sky Q perhaps.

Sadly @terryf I suspect that the whole package with broadband is going to cost more than 100. The figures I gave above were just for the TV. What extras will be tagged on for Sky Q I can't say as this hasn't been made public and I don't have inside information on this sensitive information either.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast