Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

Sky gears up to launch SkyQ

This is a discussion on Sky gears up to launch SkyQ within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; It will only work with the new router....

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Re: Sky gears up to launch SkyQ

It will only work with the new router.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Looks like the Sky Q receivers will work with any router, but from what I've read it looks like you would need the new Sky Q Hub to make the Sky Q boxes into wireless hotspots.
      Yes correct.

Just been having a chat with my local engineer.
      It will require a lnb swap, but no dish or cable change to what we have now.
      The lnb reach is much wider and allows for the more capability along with the box of course.
      You can if you want he says install more skyq boxes, but there is a limit per household as to how many mini boxes you can have.
      I quizzed him about price, but nothing yet. He said that would be some time yet before an announcement.

Ive seen elsewhere someone mention the 12 tuner capability these boxes can handle;

1 to view live tv
      4 dedicated to recording
      2 for the mini box sharing
      1 used for picture in picture and/or preview
      2 for tablets
      2 extra for a later feature

My engineer mentioned the remote, he says it is easier to control the tv and sources as no switching now between sky and tv button. It has a dedicated tv source button.
      The remotes have same buttons, but one is touch based for the sky q box and the other is just buttons for the mini box.
      Last edited by lettice; 18-11-15 at 05:04 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Many of the features appear to be designed to work with the whole package, such as the WiFi Hot Spot and PowerLine. The PowerLine appears to be specifically only for Sky kit. whether or not our members can prove this once it is released will be something that can be checked out then.

There is nothing stopping Sky from supplying the new Sky Q Hub to all new Sky broadband customers once this is properly launched. I think that many will be hugely happier with a router that supports the 5GHz band and I know that I'd love to get my hands on one.

This was a press event so sadly there wasn't anything lurking that I was able to take home with me.

I was unable to check out the WiFi speeds from the Sky Q Hubs that were present. Also I don't think that anyone would have been too impressed if I'd started to open one of them up, so I have no pictures of the innards to share.

For those of you who like to hide their Sky STBs in the {well aired} cupboards, the new Sky Q TV boxes don't use Infrared. It's Bluetooth. So you can hide them if you want, so long as you put them where the heat doesn't get to them.

The Sky Q Silver I was able to touch wasn't hot. Beyond that I wasn't able to find out how it is cooled. Why is this important? Quite a lot of people have complained about the noise that the Sky+ HD STB can produce at times. However as this is mostly a problem in a bedroom where noisy drives and fans in the middle of the night can disturn you, it won't be a problem with the Sky Q Mini as there is no drive in it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I cant believe @scubbie didnt bring us all one back.
      I always grab something at tech events.
      But suppose the service is not up and running yet.
      Last edited by lettice; 18-11-15 at 05:12 PM.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

One other thing I noticed about the hub, it has;
      “Network Standby” mode which uses less than 12W of power within twenty minutes of no use
      So does your router now go into a standby mode?
      I alwasys thought on adsl and fibre they had to be on and talking to the exchange...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

The SR102 has some power saving features built-in. I don't know how they compare with the Sky Q Hub.

Whilst it sounds great to reduce the power, it would be pointless turning off the WiFi, for example, and disconnecting the Modem. If either were disconnected, then how would your tablet connect to the router or how could you remotely monitor an IP Camera, for example?

As for walking out with the kit, sadly there were a few too many security people around, along with a large number of people with mobile phones, cameras and much more. My picture would have been posted across the web before the security guards had pulled me up as I walked past them.

Even the remote control on display was apparently a demo .

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The card slot on the side is interesting in this 360 video of the box;
      http://storage.sky.com/productpages-...silver-360.mp4

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      The card slot on the side is interesting in this 360 video of the box;
      Presumably that is for the viewing card as size wise the box is only 8 1/4" deep.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Presumably that is for the viewing card as size wise the box is only 8 1/4" deep.
      surely in this day and age, the SkyQ would authorise via the sky hub (for Sky BB customers) and remove the need for a card, or at least require you to 'sign in' to the box just like sky go?

Thanks

A bit more clarification on some questions and queries

The good news is that it’s UHD-ready, though Sky will only start broadcasting not only sports, but also movies and entertainment content in ultra high-def later in 2016 shortly after launch.
      The specification sheet suggests that the SkyQ Silver box will feature two HDMI ports, one of which being an HDMI 1.4b output with HDCP 1.2, the other an HDMI 1.4 input (YUB & RGB) with HDCP 1.2. If true, this means that the highest transmissible resolution will be 38402160@60Hz/ 50Hz at 8-bit 4:2:0… Sky themselves have listed 2160p as a video resolution to be added in a future update.
      However, in a conversation with Inside CI’s contributing editor Steve May, Sky’s director of new products Andrew Olson declared that the Sky Q Silver box will offer HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2, whereas the Sky Q Mini will have an HDMI v1.4 output. This seems much more likely, paving the way for future HDR (high dynamic range) possibilities assuming a compatible chipset.
      Subscribers who have been complaining about 1080i/50Hz being the highest resolution on current Sky+HD boxes will also rejoice at 1080p being listed as a supported resolution on the Sky Q Silver, not to mention on the add-on Sky Q Mini boxes which can also act as wireless hotspots provided you have the new Sky Q Broadband package.
      Sky Launch 4K-Ready Q Silver Box; UHD Broadcast in 2016

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast