Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky launches best ever fibre deal

This is a discussion on Sky launches best ever fibre deal within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I'm assuming that its all kinds of downloading and nothing is exempted. If so its not only on demand and ...

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky launches best ever fibre deal

I'm assuming that its all kinds of downloading and nothing is exempted.
      If so its not only on demand and catchup tv, but they would be the largest proportion.
      A PC has many updates throughout the month for AV, driver updates, system updates.
      Your tablets and smartphones are constantly downloading updates to all your apps over the air through your wifi. Some being 0.5gb or more.
      Sometimes the firmware updates run from 500mb to a few gb.
      The iOS9 firmware was not as big as previous but with the certificates and updated apps it was still a few gb that would have been downloaded.
      If you have been on the MS insider previews, for MS office or Windows 10, then that can stretch to a few gb each time.
      Just wait till the 29th, when you get your Windows 10 update.
      Of course, there is your music listening on many devices, spotify, itunes, google play, internet radio and app based radio.
      Plenty of people now use the accompanying apps for many sports, for me that would be like Wimbledon, bbc sports, Formula 1, WEC, Formula e, indycar, nascar that have a lot of content to browse with video too.
      Then of course there is plenty of web stuff now, a quick website news video view, download a manual, download a bill or statement, get an ebook etc.
      My Samsung Tvs are often getting OTA updates for firmware and apps and my Chromecast must use loads.
      Many other devices, like fridges, home kit, alarms, electricity meters, Amazon echo all now download small amounts.

It all adds up and Id have thought an average family would be well over 25gb in any month without carefully monitoring and severe restriction.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Not so long ago the average monthly download was around 17GB per month.

Like me, I suspect that your monthly download is a lot more.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + Asus ac68
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

sorry not watching the ad, you could have posted text?

sky's best ever deal would be a deal for fibre pro, seems they dont want to sell that package. As when I ordered pro, the operator was desperate for me to go on the 40mbit package instead.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Hello chrcol,

Sorry I don't get paid to write out all the subtitles for Sky's ads . It is currently airing on the TV, so don't worry.

Annoyingly you are not the first to report that Sky's call centre staff are reluctant to sell someone the SFUP product. Even more annoying is the fact that Sky just does not wish to promote the SFUP product by enticing people with deals.

When Sky relaunched the product with the people coming across from Be there was quite a few promises for additional items, such as a fixed IP Address. These have been slow to add on and not always complete.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

tech3475 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Hello chrcol,
      Annoyingly you are not the first to report that Sky's call centre staff are reluctant to sell someone the SFUP product. Even more annoying is the fact that Sky just does not wish to promote the SFUP product by enticing people with deals.
      My guess is that they're either making more money from the lower packages and/or they want to get more people on the network by using less bandwidth per household.

I know talktalk only offer slower speeds on what are fairly cheap packages (50mbps on my line, despite BT being 70-80mbps).

Looking on the website, you have to basically hunt for information on pro (wasn't even sure if they were still offering it for a second).

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + Asus ac68
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

on the flip side it does help keep contention levels down tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12