Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By lettice
    • 1 Post By bubblegun

UK ISP Sky Broadband Unlimited Price Rises to GBP10 Per Month

This is a discussion on UK ISP Sky Broadband Unlimited Price Rises to GBP10 Per Month within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; UK ISP Sky Broadband Unlimited Price Rises to GBP10 Per Month - ISPreview UK Customers taking the up to 17Mbps ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

UK ISP Sky Broadband Unlimited Price Rises to GBP10 Per Month

UK ISP Sky Broadband Unlimited Price Rises to GBP10 Per Month - ISPreview UK
      Customers taking the up to 17Mbps capable Sky Broadband Unlimited package may be displeased to learn that its standard price, after being reduced from 10 to 7.50 per month for the past year, is to later this morning be increased back to its original level of 10.

Readers with a long memory may recall that the standard price (i.e. the price charged outside of discounts) for Skys Unlimited service use to be 7.50 per month when taken with Sky TV and then 10 if taken separately (i.e. broadband and calls only), but this changed in August 2014 when Sky rebalanced their broadband price to be the same across both bundle types (here).

But recently Skys website has been carrying a warning that the standard price of their Sky Broadband Unlimited package would be increasing on 7th July (today) and we now know that it will be returning to the old price point of 10 per month. As usual the cost of Sky Line Rental is still payable on-top at 16.40 per month.

The move is not entirely unexpected as many of Skys biggest rivals have also recently been raising their standard broadband prices, although a sudden jump of +33.3% isnt likely to be popular. On the flip side its quite common for ISPs to mask such increases by launching major new discounts and were anticipating something like that to follow later this week. In the meantime Skys half-price discount and 50 M&S voucher is still available.

The reason for such a hike, given the otherwise flat level of inflation, is likely down to a combination of factors, such as needing to cater for rising consumer data demands (e.g. video streaming) and or a desire to balance the books after their huge purchase of new TV sporting rights (here).

2. Advertisement
      mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: UK ISP Sky Broadband Unlimited Price Rises to GBP10 Per Month

I thought that if you had sky tv you got it for 7.50 and if you did not have tv it was 10.00 was this not the case. So is it going up to 10.00 even if you have tv.

Mickr

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Post Re: UK ISP Sky Broadband Unlimited Price Rises to GBP10 Per Month

Quote Originally Posted by mickr View Post
      I thought that if you had sky tv you got it for 7.50 and if you did not have tv it was 10.00 was this not the case.
      That was the case up until about a year ago when they dropped the 2.50 'supplement' for not having sky tv.
      At least for new customers.
      Some existing customers had success in getting the charge removed by signing a new 12 month contract. Others didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mickr View Post
      So is it going up to 10.00 even if you have tv.
      Yep.
      And they've changed the phone packages for new customers.
      The old free evenings & weekends which became just free weekends is now free nothing.

I hope those football rights were worth it sky...

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Interesting I've just looked at my upcoming bills on sky and it shows 7.50 for Aug-Sept and for Sept-Oct. I will keep my eye on it and see if it changes. What with the increase on tv packages and if they do increase the broadband, I think it will give a lot of customers another reason to drop the tv as it is full of repeats and with the latest price rise not worth the money you pay, unless you can get a deal. I think sky paid an obscene amount of money for the football and they are expecting customers who don't even take the sports channels to pay for it.

Mickr

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Glad I did my deal a month ago and got free broadband unlimited for 12 months (renewed beckham deal), half price line rental, and a discounted variety (Legacy) with sky sports deal for another 12 months.
      I'm on the old sky talk freetime and got rid of the 1571. Never need to use the landline phone anymore, now we have 0800 on mobiles, would have been the only reason.

Edit: changed landlines to mobiles
      Last edited by lettice; 08-07-15 at 10:25 AM.
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I too removed the 1571 as I have an ansaphone on the phone I have anyway. It's also easier to see a flashing light that points out that there is a message than having to remember to pick up the phone when I get back home to see if someone has called.

It's worth pointing out that the 2.50 supplement only affected the Sky Broadband Unlimited product. Connect and Fibre customers were never charged this. Likewise this price increase is only for the Sky Broadband Unlimited customers.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk
      Sky TV: sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Hello All
      I am not really sure what the position is for existing customers as I have not
      received any letters from Sky regarding an increase in price for my BB unlimited
      package & I have looked at my forward bills for the next 3 months to Oct 2015
      and it still shows cost as : 7.50 + Line Rental @ 16.40 as per normal although
      the website now shows unlimited at 10.00 month after the first 12 months discounted at 5.00 + Line Rental .
      If Sky continue to increase costs to cover the Football debacle then I fear they
      may start to lose even more Customers : as there are always deals to be had
      even if it means changing your supplier more often then you would otherwise .
      Maybe it will become like house/car insurance you look for the Best Deal every year,
      I hope this is not the case as ' Life is to Short' & I am sure we could All find Better
      things to do..............
      !!!

Just a Thought...........
      Good Luck

bubblegun is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Missed in all the news articles:
      Sky unlimited pro still 12.50 -fixed IP address and can use your own router with tech support.

Sky Fibre and Fibre Unlimited minimum contract has been cut to 12 months again from 18 months which has been the minimum for the last year. Sky did this because BT and talktalk were 18 months at that time, but just a few months later BT cut all their new contracts to 12 months.
      Scubbie likes this.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky