Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Ultra Fibre Optic

This is a discussion on Ultra Fibre Optic within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky has today confirmed, along with TalkTalk and City Fibre, that they are making progress with installing the new Fibre ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Ultra Fibre Optic

Sky has today confirmed, along with TalkTalk and City Fibre, that they are making progress with installing the new Fibre network in York.

They have added a new board to their community forum called 'Ultra Fibre Optic'.

What is Ultra Fibre Optic? - Sky Community
      Ultra Fibre Optic* is a brand new ultrafast fibre broadband network currently being built by Sky as part of a Joint Venture with TalkTalk and CityFibre. At 1000Mb speeds**, its one hundred times faster than standard broadband*, and its landing in York soon.

Whats happening in York?

At the end of May, well begin the next phase of construction, building a state-of-the-art Fibre-to-the-Home network to thousands of homes. The work will be undertaken by our partner, McNicholas and will involve some work on pavements and roads to lay the fibre. If these works affect you well let you know via letter around 2 weeks before work starts on your street and reminded again 48 hours before construction begins.

As construction work is currently underway and the first customers will not be able to connect until later in the year.

What makes Ultra Fibre Optic different?

It brings fibre all the way to a your home. Fibre optic cable is made from thin strands of glass and your data is carried by light.

Its much faster than other networks and speeds are not affected by distance from the telephone exchange or street cabinet. This gives you greater stability and reliability.

Its 100 times faster than standard broadband.** That means downloading

• an HD movie in less than 30 seconds
      • 100 hi res photos in less than 5 seconds
      • an album in less than a second
      • More people can do more online together without the connection slowing down. Ideal for the modern connected home

Want to find out more?

Go to www.ultrafibreoptic.co.uk and enter your details, register your interest with Sky and well keep you informed on the rollout.
      If a youd like to talk to someone about the building work happening in your street, please give the construction partner McNicholas a call on 0845 0400 021.

* The UltraFibreOptic brand refers to the network that is being built by a Joint Venture between Sky & TalkTalk,. Customers will only be able to purchase UFO services from Sky or TalkTalk. Details of Skys retail packages will be released closer to the launch date of the product.

**Access line speed for service in York will be 1 Gb (1000Mb) and max average throughput speed is estimated at 950Mb which is 100 times faster than the average max speed of std dsl broadband of 9.1Mb (Ofcom speeds report Feb 15)
      So if you live in York, today would be a good time to register your interest in the new product.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Ultra Fibre Optic

Wow! Does no one want this, even if they don't live in York?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Mystic Eddy is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks

I love the brand logo . Fingers crossed it gets good take-up in York and they roll it out across the country pronto!
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Thanks

There are a few different companies gradually rolling out FTTP/FTTH products in different cities across the country now.

HyperOptic, for example, offers 1gbit for 50 a month according to the Thinkbroadband site. That is 'unlimited' with an FUP. They recently went live in Edinburgh.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Friend of mine works for a similar company called Gigaclear who appears to be targeting affluent but semi-rural communities who BT have ignored thus far.

I saw a demo of 1 gig speeds and it was mind blowing considering 4 years ago I was still on 7 MB! Can't wait for something like this round my way, that said, I'm not sure I really need 1 gig speeds, just like I don't need a Porsche...

Thanks

I guess for today most of us would be in the same position as yourself stereohaven.

In truth you'd currently have to be shifting large volumes of data on a regular basis with a few powerful computers or have a large busy family who all want to transfer high volumes of data.

Anything less and you simply wouldn't benefit.

This is just the first step. Various companies, including Gigaclear, have been rolling out FTTP/FTTH across various areas for the past few years now

Surely it is better to anticipate the need and build the infrastructure required than to wait until after the public want it?

Those who live in remote locations are still getting the short change though. I appreciate that the cost for ventures like this is considerably higher in remote places than in the towns and cities, but those who work and live in the nicer parts of our country are suffering as a result.