https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...rshipprogramme

European Indoor 2015 silver medallist Mark English has been unveiled as the 12th athlete to join the Sky Academy Sports Scholarships programme.
The 22-year-old 800m runner from Donegal has been producing some magic on the running track over the last two years and just missed out on gold after a stunning performance at the European Indoor Championships on March 8 in Prague.

English finished behind winner Marcin Lewandowski from Poland to bag Ireland's only medal of the meeting in the Czech Republic, having chased down Thijmen Kupers and dip over the line 0.05 seconds ahead of the Dutchman.

He is the latest young Irish sporting talent to join the Sky Academy Sports Scholarship scheme, with previous scholars including Olympic gold medalist Katie Taylor, double-gold Paralympic medalist Mark Rohan and European middleweight champion Jason Quigley.

English tweeted: "Delighted to join Sky Scholarships. Their support is exactly what I need in my build-up to Rio 2016. Excited to see what we achieve together."

Sky is committed to the development of sport at all levels, and Sky Academy Sports Scholarships is helping 12 of the most exciting young sporting talents across Ireland and the UK by offering a programme of support tailored to each athletes specific requirements covering areas such as funding, media coaching, mentoring and wider developmental support.

The athletes will also partner up with a Sky Sports mentor who will offer support as they prepare for life in the spotlight.

English, also a European bronze medallist outdoors last summer, said: "It was a shock for me to hear that I'd be invited to join an academy with such talent.

"It's a huge honour to be associated with such a massive global brand name such as Sky. The programme will assist me in achieving my goals and their support will be absolutely vital in my preparations for Rio 2016."

JD Buckley, MD of Sky Ireland, said: “We’re extremely proud of the success of past Irish scholars on the programme.

"Mark's silver in March shows what a talented athlete he is and we’re hoping the Sky Academy Sports Scholarship programme can support Mark in achieving everything he wants in his sporting career."

Mark English is one of 12 athletes being supported through the Sky Academy Sports Scholarships scheme.

The Scholarships offer a programme of support tailored to each athletes specific requirements covering areas such as funding, media coaching, mentoring and wider developmental support.

Read here for full details of the scheme