Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By gymno
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Sky AdSmart, 1,000 campaigns later

This is a discussion on Sky AdSmart, 1,000 campaigns later within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...ampaigns-later Andrew Griffith, Chief Financial Officer & MD, Commercial Businesses When we launched Sky AdSmart, our tailored advertising service, one ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sky AdSmart, 1,000 campaigns later

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...ampaigns-later
      Andrew Griffith, Chief Financial Officer & MD, Commercial Businesses

When we launched Sky AdSmart, our tailored advertising service, one year ago in January 2014, we believed we had the opportunity to change the TV advertising market as we knew it. By enabling advertisers to better target their campaigns, Sky AdSmart opens TV advertising to brands who may previously have thought TV too broad a medium.

It works by using publicly available information to identify groups or demographics, and then serves TV ads that are best suited to those households For their part, viewers see no more adverts than before; simply ones that are more relevant to them. The idea of tailoring advertising in this way is hugely attractive to advertisers – and you can see it in the numbers.

One year in, we have delivered 1,000 campaigns from 357 advertisers. At our Q1 results in October, we announced that Sky AdSmart revenues were up 48% on the previous quarter – significant growth that indicates just how fast it’s caught on. As we think about the future, the really exciting statistic is one that shows that of those advertisers to have used Sky Adsmart to date, more than three quarters had not previously advertised on TV or were new to Sky. This demonstrates the way that Sky AdSmart is opening up the market.

In the usual Sky style we haven’t stood still since launch. We developed Sky AdSmart further by launching postcode targeting – making TV advertising a viable option for local businesses, and serving our viewers ads for convenient as well as relevant brands.

And we have lots more planned for the coming months as we continue to develop and add to the service and its capability.

First, we’re taking Sky AdSmart into On Demand. The service began with ad insertion into linear broadcast. But, as we know, viewing habits are changing fast and we’ve seen an explosion in On Demand as more of our customers take advantage of the opportunity to watch their favourite content as and when they want. So it makes sense that we’ll continue to develop the Sky AdSmart capability across all screens and platforms. The first of these will be video on demand on the set top box, coming later this spring.

Second, we’ll continue to expand Sky AdSmart across more channels. Sky AdSmart launched on Sky’s main wholly-owned channels. It has since grown to cover 34 channels, and we’ll continue to explore widening this to encompass additional media partner channels and third parties.

And finally, we’ll add further capabilities to the way we target ads, meaning both viewers and advertisers will continue to benefit from an even more tailored service.

With all we’ve achieved in our first year, I believe the future is looking very bright for Sky AdSmart. Watch this space in 2015.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky AdSmart, 1,000 campaigns later

Boooo!

Advertising.
      Marketing.
      Go away.

(Wish i could repost Bill Hicks' thoughts on marketing).
      James_Mitchell likes this.

Thanks

I appreciate your sentiments, but sadly the advertising provides extra income for the broadcasters. This in turn reduces the subscription fees and increases the level of content.

Of course this doesn't mean that the quality of the content is improved

Of course if the BBC were to scrap the TV License Fee and introduce a combination of advertising and subscriptions, many people would have an opinion.
      gymno likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

All true of course Scubbie.

I'll grow up one day at which point all the naive, idealistic politics will fade away.
      Maybe.

Thanks

Sorry, I missed that last bit as the FF button got stuck...
      Meteosat likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      the advertising provides extra income for the broadcasters. This in turn reduces the subscription fees
      The first is certainly true but I can't see any evidence for the second - more likely increase profit I'd say - when did Sky last lower their TV prices?

The benefits in this sort of tailored marketing are very heavily skewed towards the advertiser and the broadcaster, not the viewer.

dog-man is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Luckily, I have opted out and always FF through ads anyway.
      I cannot recall the last time I watched an advert. Must have been a couple of years ago.
      I really am not interested in them.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      Luckily, I have opted out and always FF through ads anyway.
      I cannot recall the last time I watched an advert. Must have been a couple of years ago.
      I really am not interested in them.
      Saw recent mentions of turning of the Marketing preference in mysky, not usre from what I have heard that is the case, but that also turns off all the good sky marketing like the loyalty bonuses
      Not that I've really noticed any adsmart use, as the ads on the sky channels seem to be as they always were and generally not that relevant to me.
      Do understand why they have done it, so many more channels (and+1) reducing the relevant and targetted as revenue for the advertisers, channels and providers, so a change is needed.

You mean you missed out on all those wonderful Christmas ads and do not feel a love for Harvey! Sometimes the ads are better than the shows on TV.

It is pretty hard to avoid ads these days, with catchup, boxsets, skygo and the likes of youtube not always allowing you to FF. I do the same mind during recordings, but more to reduce the watching time than avoiding ads.