Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

Twelve Days, One Throne

This is a discussion on Twelve Days, One Throne within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; There will always be repeats. My only gripe here really is that my beloved sky atlantic is starting to go ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Twelve Days, One Throne

There will always be repeats.
      My only gripe here really is that my beloved sky atlantic is starting to go down that road.

For me the channel has stood out as a gem in a sea of ploop since its launch.
      Whether i like a particular programme they're showing or not, it generally seems to me that everything they do show is of a certain standard & so has a great reputation in my world.

Also, it is a standalone channel & therefore air time is precious.
      Other channels have sister channels like 5*, picktv & four seven etc where it's easier to accept repeats will happen.
      Sky atlantic should guard its reputation & limit repeats to after midnight or even 2am.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

I am surprised they are not doing this with 'Lost', I believe it is the most downloaded box set.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Ok, value for money?

If you take into account all the 101 channels that you can get via Freeview, compared to the additional 404 channels you can get via Sky (with Movies & Sports packages) then yes the TV License fee does provide more value for money.

TV License: 144.50 per annum / 101 TV channels = 1.43 per channel
      Sky TV: 71 per month = 852 per annum / 403 TV channels = 2.11 per channel

However, our license fee actually only pays towards 33 TV channels (BBC, ITV, Ch4 & Ch5).

That means that we pay about 4.38 TV channel. The others all pay for the right to be shown on the Freeview EPG.

However the BBC also have 12 radio stations. This makes a total of 45 stations and the average cost is 3.21 per channel.

Whilst you might argue that the Sky fees only pay towards Sky and that the additional channels pay Sky to be included on the EPG, without a Sky subscription you won't be able to view the 404 channels.

I have also abbreviated the regional variations and counted them as one each for BBC & ITV. With both ITV and BBC you are supposed to only be able to receive one variation. Wales gets S4C, which is part of Channel 4, you can argue that they pay a little less per channel as they also get Channel 4. The same is true for BBC Alba for Scotland.

So does the TV License fee represent value for money? Somehow I don't think so.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You have to pay the licence fee whether you subscribe to sky or not, so I cant see how that comes into the equation. While I don't believe all the licence money is all well spent, it does allow us to have a few channels which are not fall of adverts and the BBC do make some quality programmes. The BBC are by no means perfect and I suspect they waste a lot of tax payers money on perks for the boys.

Mickr

Thanks

Yes you do need to ay your TV License fee if you just want Sky TV. This is why I've not included the BBC, ITV, Ch4 & C5 channels in the figures above for Sky's value for money.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I have been a sky customer since the beginning, and seen a lot of changes, some good and some not good. There was one package for tv with add on groups of channels where you could pick the groups you wanted without having to pay for a lot of channels you never watch. they then brought in other packages and stopped you being able to pick which channels you wanted. Not satisfied with that they then decided to rename the packages and changed the ball park again. So if you changed your package for any reason you could not go back to your original package. The middle package I use to have included box sets, the currant one does not. On the original hd pack you use to get F1 channel free not now. You are now paying for a lot of channels you never watch such as shopping, religious' and rubbish American programmes. Another thing they stopped was that you could pay for your line rental a year up front allowing you to save a bit of money that way. You have to pay another subscription for the privilege of watching it in another room. I do not now think sky Tv is good valve for money, with the price rises and the endless stream of repeats. You might ask why I am still a customer of sky. well on the plus side I am a phone and broadband customer which I am quite happy with apart from the dropping of the year up front line rental. I did go to cancel my Tv subscription but was offered a deal so I stay for another year. Sky would be far better off giving there loyal customers a fair deal without them having to say they are leaving. Instead they choose to give loads of offers to try and sign up new customers, and any offers you do get tie you into another years contract.

Mickr

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Sky are also gradually filling Sky One with more and more sport as well. Both football and F1 is now regularly shown on Sky One.....like the 5 Sports channels and the F1 channel are not enough?????

Do Sky show films on the Sports channels????? LOL, no.

I'm giving Sky a few more months but I'm rapidly loosing patience with them now and am seriously considering going back to Freeview. Sky are in increasing prices but reducing service.

Thanks

I am guessing that someone at Sky wants to encourage more people to sign up to the Movies and Sports packs. By showing these items on Sky 1 you get a teaser of what you might be missing.

Of course the regular adverts tend to ruin the films.

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I suppose at least we should be grateful that they are not saying that they are planning on replaying the whole only fools & horses episodes.

We can leave that up to the BBC

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I dropped TV 24tb Nas FTW
      and dont miss it a bit
      atleast i can watch repeats i will enjoy

I should actually cancel the tv license but cant be bothered