Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

UPDATE BT Get Sky’s Misleading “BEST EVER Broadband” Advert Banned

This is a discussion on UPDATE BT Get Sky’s Misleading “BEST EVER Broadband” Advert Banned within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; UPDATE BT Get Sky's Misleading "BEST EVER Broadband" Advert Banned - ISPreview UK The tit-for-tat ISP advertising wars appear to ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

UPDATE BT Get Sky’s Misleading “BEST EVER Broadband” Advert Banned

UPDATE BT Get Sky's Misleading "BEST EVER Broadband" Advert Banned - ISPreview UK
      The tit-for-tat ISP advertising wars appear to be continuing after BT succeeded in getting the UK Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) to ban a national press advert for Sky Broadband’s service, which apparently misled the public by claiming to be Sky’s “BEST EVER broadband offer“.

The advert was a reference to Sky’s recent Sky Sports TV and 2 years free broadband bundle. The package itself was naturally intended to counter BT’s own offer of free Sport TV content with broadband, hence the rivalry.

BT complained that Sky had previously promoted better offers and challenged whether the claim “Our BEST EVER broadband offer” was misleading. The ASA agreed.

ASA Ruling (Ref: A14-277363)

We considered that the claim “Our BEST EVER broadband” would generally be interpreted as a comparison with Sky’s previous broadband offerings and consumers would understand that if they took the current offer, they would not have previously been able to receive a better overall deal. However, we understood that a previous ad from Sky stated “Our BEST EVER broadband offer” with the headline “£100 reward when you join Sky TV online” whereas the current ad offered a £50 reward. We considered that consumers would infer that the reward, as an incentive to take up the package, was part of the offer and overall package.

Because Sky’s overall package that included 2 years unlimited broadband had previously been offered with a higher reward price, we concluded that the claim “Our BEST EVER broadband offer” in this context had not been substantiated and was likely to mislead.
      As usual the ASA banned the advert and warned Sky to ensure their “best ever” claims were not undermined by previous offers. No doubt Sky will eventually find a few nits to pick with BT’s promotions in order to settle the score.

UPDATE 8:26am

Oddly we’ve had a comment on this rather small advertising issue from law firm Browne Jacobson, which is not something we’ve ever received before. Make of this what you will.

Alex Watt, Ad and Marketing Issues for Browne Jacobson, said:

Of particular interest in this case is the fact that the ASA are policing use of the word “best” ever more carefully. Whilst it is still possible that an advertiser may use “best” in a way that denotes it considers that a product is the best in its subjective opinion, such use must be clearly puffery. It is not sufficient that an advertiser is referring to its own promotions; if the statement about those promotions is clearly an objective one it must still be accurate – and if the statement is that the promotion is the “best” of its offers – then it must literally be the best of its offers.”
      Comment: As always, closing the barn door once the horse has bolted and new customers have signed up.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: UPDATE BT Get Sky’s Misleading “BEST EVER Broadband” Advert Banned

It's getting ridiculous isn't it.

Why on earth the agency that's supposed to ensure these ads are ship shape before broadcast can't manage to do so is beyond me.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Do you know if anyone has successfully voided a contract with Sky because they signed up to a "misleading" advert?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I haven't heard of any, but then I'm not in a position to get the information first hand and such an issue would be kept very quiet by Sky.

Don't forget too that whilst Sky are guilty in this instance, the other major ISPs appear to get more adverts banned and I can't say that I've heard of anyone getting something back from them either.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Sky can easily get round this by say 'One of our Best ever ...etc'. It is too, far better than I got when I joined Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Isn't the term 'best' subjective anyway?

Had they used the phrase 'best ever value' or something else more specific it would obviously be wrong.
      I wonder if Tina Turner or Chris Eubank ever ran into this kind of problem?