Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband UK Discussing Mobile Service with EE, O2 and Vodafone

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband UK Discussing Mobile Service with EE, O2 and Vodafone within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky Broadband UK Discussing Mobile Service with EE, O2 and Vodafone - ISPreview UK It’s no secret that BSkyB ( ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sky Broadband UK Discussing Mobile Service with EE, O2 and Vodafone

Sky Broadband UK Discussing Mobile Service with EE, O2 and Vodafone - ISPreview UK
      It’s no secret that BSkyB (Sky Broadband) has an ambition to launch their own mobile service in the United Kingdom and they’ve already held exploratory talks with Vodafone (here), so fresh reports today that the media giant has been discussing a similar proposition with other mobile operators will probably not come as much of a shock.

According to The Times (paywall), Sky has recently been in discussions with both EE and O2 about the possibility of forming a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) partnership like the one that BT + Virgin Media have with EE and TalkTalk with Vodafone.

BT
      is expected to launch their own consumer mobile service around April 2015 and that would leave Sky as the only major Pay TV + Home Broadband ISP without the ability to offer a mobile service (i.e. triple-play only). Sky’s prior interest in Vodafone was also understandable given that they already provide TV content to Voda’s 4G customers and Voda itself has been considering a return to the home broadband market (Sky might be able to help them there), although so far a year has passed without any agreement.
      Jeremy Darroch, CEO of BSkyB, said:

We’ll always remain open to opportunities, and this is something that we keep a close eye on. We keep our options under review. If we thought there was strong customer demand, then we can be in a good place to respond. We’ve got a very significant customer base already that we know we can cross-sell into very successfully.”
      Darroch also said last week that BSkyB was speaking with all of the country’s primary mobile operators, although it’s noted that Three UK aren’t listed in today’s piece on The Times and Sky’s recent Q3 2014 results passed without any major new product launches or predictions for future product launches in the mobile space.

But if a deal is to be done then Sky will need to stop dragging their feet and make a decision, otherwise there will be even less opportunity to attract customers away from their rivals. Vodafone might be a logical choice for Sky but it’s understandable that they’d wish to consider alternatives, especially as this may help their negotiating position.

Clearly Sky, in order to maintain the confidence of shareholders in such an aggressively competitive market, will need a mobile service. But in reality it probably wouldn’t hurt them that much if they don’t do one.

A recent survey conducted by ourselves found that just 8% of the 700 respondents currently get their mobile and home broadband service from the same provider and, when asked whether an ISP would be more attractive if it could also offer a competitive mobile service alongside home broadband, some 25% answered “Yes” and 31% responded with a “Maybe”, while 45% said “No”. So some demand does exist, albeit probably more useful as a tool to help stem churn than to grow Sky’s customer base.

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband UK Discussing Mobile Service with EE, O2 and Vodafone

Looks like it's Vodafone, details of a trial here

I won't be touching this with someone else's barge pole if they do use VF. VF is by far the worst UK network for coverage, data speeds and tech roll out.

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Would be great to have vodafone on board with sky.
      Used them for years both for business use and personal and been a a payg personal customer for many years and enjoying the great 4g we have down here now.
      Always had a great signal too across the country and excellent customer support from them.

Thanks

Admittedly VF's 4G coverage doesn't compare with EE's at the present time, but having witched earlier this year from VF to Three, there are a few things I would like to see improved upon by VF first.

One positive thing I liked about VF was their billing system, unless you hadn't realised that often they hid the VAT making it 'fun' when trying to settle a bill.

Annoyingly their 4G coverage of my local area is better than Three, but I don't have to pay extra for it.

On a recent trip to Northern Ireland via Dublin I was able to use my phone without any additional charges as Three have embraced a change which the EU want everyone else to adopt by around this time next year. Once I managed to connect to Three Ireland's network, I was fine.

Perhaps Sky or Easynet will sell access to the Broadband Network? Vodafone is quite keen on selling their own Broadband products already, so this would benefit them.

I guess an important question will be whether Sky sell their own branded phones which use the VF network or whether they have a reciprocal agreement giving VF access to Sky customers and vice versa.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

4G? 3G would be a start. Vodafone and still the only UK mobile network not to provide at least 3G where I live here. All the other networks have done now for at least 2 - 3 years here now. VF would much rather sell you a signal box than invest in their own network. They also spend far too much time moaning about that other networks are doing.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Thanks

they're all a much of a muchness. I could have posted exactly the same about three. Personally I find Three's coverage awful and need a Home Signal box and struggle when I travel to get a signal. For where I live and travel I found EE was the best coverage... but they're CS is awful and the cost is ridiculous compared to Three.

Thanks

As you say, each has their own problems.

Thankfully Three have now introduced an app call 'Three InTouch' which allows you phone to utilise a WiFi hotspot if you haven't got a signal.

A similar app is available for O2 and both VF and EE are supposed to be releasing something for their own phones, making things like Sure Start obsolete.

Of course none of these are much good if you are in the middle of the Moors or have no WiFi signal that you can connect to either.

Locally EE have been getting a hard time on the local news as they have taken down a few transmitters for no apparent reason and one on the Isle of Wight has been playing up for months.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

EE are shortly launching WiFi calling/texting at the network level so no apps needed for it. It's in the final testing phase now I beleive, rumours are they are waiting for a couple of unnamed ISP's to make some config/network changes to allow the service to work properly. It will work in exactly the same why WiFi calling works in the US on T-Mobile USA, eventually with full hand-off to and from the cellular network (which the networks that use wifi calling apps cannot do)

Sorry.....but I don't really understand why people use signal boxes.....just switch networks, as why should the end user prop up the providers network by using their own broadband connection to do the job their own infrastructure should be doing???

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      Sorry.....but I don't really understand why people use signal boxes.....just switch networks, as why should the end user prop up the providers network by using their own broadband connection to do the job their own infrastructure should be doing???
      Economics of course. EE for me would cost 3 times than Three for the same package. I have unlimited broadband anyway so it's one of simple cost. What I don't understand is why people cut their nose to spite their face

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      With 18 and 24 month contracts being common, should you move to a poor area or the provider remove the transmitter or have problems in your area, then the simple answer from the providers is: TOUGH LUCK!

There is nothing in the contract you have with your provider saying that they will provide a signal where you live or work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast