Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky+ App Photo Sharing

This is a discussion on Sky+ App Photo Sharing within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Another change to the Sky+ app that ties in with the new EPG (R010) is the ability to share photos ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sky+ App Photo Sharing

Another change to the Sky+ app that ties in with the new EPG (R010) is the ability to share photos on your Smart Phone or Tablet.

Yes, now you can show everyone all those holiday snaps you took on your TV, much better than a good old slide projector!

For reasons which might be obvious to some, Sky has not included the option to share your music or video content in this way, which I believe is a shame. Unfortunately my favourite app for this, Skifta, is no longer available. Samsung does allow you to use 'Allcast' with a suitable DLNA compatible TV. There are also many other similar apps available, but they also require a DLNA compatible TV.

So please do make sure that you remove those pictures which you may not wish others to see of you. Yes girls, remove those pics of you in your bikini now! Otherwise you may accidently find them on your 60" TV downstairs, whilst you are tucked up in bed playing with your phone and thinking that the picture is going to appear on the bedroom TV.

View your photos on your TV with the new updated Sky+ app
      Sky is making it even easier to show off your snaps at home and bring your photos to life on the big screen – all thanks to the handy Sky+ app.

The new, updated Sky+ app now lets you view photos stored on your smartphone on your TV, with just a few clicks and no need for wires, SD cards or memory sticks.

So next time family or friends pop over, don’t pass round a tiny screen to show off your holiday memories - bask in all the glory on the big screen instead.

Luke Bradley-Jones, Sky’s Director of TV Products, said: "We know customers already love the Sky+ app and now it’s even better. The photo viewing function lets you simply, quickly and easily view photos on your TV via a connected Sky+HD box without the need for any extra devices.

With this update, the app will now mirror the new Sky+ Homepage, with great features like Smart Series Link and New & Recommended helping customers find the TV they really want to watch. It’s all part of our commitment to make Sky+ the ultimate entertainment experience.

The photo viewing function couldn’t be simpler to use. All you need to do is connect your device to the same WiFi as your Sky+HD box and you’ll see a camera icon in the navigation bar of your app. You just click on this icon and follow the steps to view your images on your TV and even play a slideshow.

The Sky+ app gives you the power to take charge of your Sky+ box when you’re at home or on the move. It lets you use your smartphone or tablet to pause and rewind live TV, change channel, view and manage your Planner recordings. When you’re out and about you can use it to record TV shows over the next seven days and to download on demand content, all ready to watch when you get home.

The launch of photo viewing comes along with a raft of other changes that bring the Sky+ app in sync with the newly updated Sky+ Homepage, which has been designed to help you find the TV you love and put catch-up, movies and box sets at the heart of your viewing experience. The updates include:

• New & Recommended, so you can discover all the latest shows and get inspiration on what you might like to watch
      • Sports shortcut, where you’ll find all the sports channels as well as any live scheduled events coming up
      • Smart Series Link so that when you record a series, your Sky+HD box will automatically record the next series, so you’ll never miss out on your favourite shows

In addition to these updates, Sky has worked closely with the RNIB to optimise the Sky+ app for the inbuilt voice over technology on iOS and Android devices, making it even more accessible for those who are blind or partially sighted.

The Sky+ app is free for Sky TV customers and is compatible with iOS or Android devices. Get it in the App Store or on Google Play. For further information visit www.sky.com/apps

How to use the photo viewer

• Connect the device you’re using the app on to the same WiFi as your Sky+HD box
      • When connected, you’ll see a camera icon appear in the navigation bar of the Sky+ app
      • Tap the icon and it will link through to your photo album where you can select the photos you want to show on the TV
      • A ‘Sky+ would like to access your photos’ notification will pop up – click ‘ok’
      • Your photo album will be shown and you can select the photo(s) you want to show on the TV
      • Once your pictures are on the TV you can use the app to rotate the images, or play a slideshow

seawright likes this.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ App Photo Sharing

Saw this update this morning
      Works perfectly on my ipad 2.
      But on my Samsung galaxy mega 6.3 running jelly bean, the photos are not showing on the tv.
      Just get a connection icon at bottom right moving in a clockwise direction forever, after a photo is selected to go to tv.
      Also found on android that if you move the sky + app to the sd card, the photo icon is not there for use.
      Everything else on this android phone for sky+ works fine, as it has been before this update.
      Last edited by lettice; 22-10-14 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks

I've passed this on.

Using my S4 with KitKat all works fine.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I've passed this on.

Using my S4 with KitKat all works fine.
      Thanks I put a thread in sky community too.
      Tried on an old 7 inch android tablet running ics and that works ok.

Prob wont use it that much, but not sure why it is not working on my mega

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Thanks I put a thread in sky community too.
      Tried on an old 7 inch android tablet running ics and that works ok.
      Strange indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Prob wont use it that much, but not sure why it is not working on my mega
      This feature has some merit. Where someone doesn't has a DLNA TV, for example, it is very useful.

In my own case I have several apps which are able to share photos and more directly with my TV. I can even get my phone to trigger Youtube videos to stream without touching the TV. I can do something similar with my laptop, but I need to open the Youtube app on the TV first.

I also like the ability to zoom in sometimes. This option isn't available with the Sky+ app.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Hello Lettice,

I've been informed that this situation has been checked within Sky and it appears to work fine with the same device.

Could I ask you to check that you have the latest updates for your phone please?

You may need to connect it to a laptop of PC and use Samsung Kies to get the latest version.

Thanks

Thats strange as sky apps support team earlier this afternoon after we exchanged emails say one of their guys Samsung galaxy mega 6.3 (JB 4.2.2) is also not working.
      Extract from one of the emails here;

Thanks for getting back in touch and for confirming the version your phone is on.
      I agree as well, that it's not your set-up as we've managed to re-create the problem here with a colleagues Samsung Galaxy Mega. The Android version is important for us to put into testing at this end to understand where the fault is sticking.
      Leave this with us please whilst we investigate the problem and provide a solution by way of a future update going forward.
      Im fine with apps and ios/Android O/S, its what I do
      So no updates or Samsung Kies needed. Kies is worse than itunes in my view, stay well clear, OTA for me and other.
      Kitkat is all over Europe for this phone but not officially in uk yet. Not that it adds much and its causing aother big broadcaster (not named) a lot of testing and support nightmares. But tahts android on so many devices for you, lol!
      But Samsung insider has said many of their phones from last two years will be getting lollipop, but good old touchwiz testing slows it down for all their devices.
      Last edited by lettice; 22-10-14 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks

I agree that Kies isn't very good and only tend to use it to update and backup my phone. For those tasks it has been very useful and has worked when upgrading my phone and a couple of friends in the past.

The updates are down to your provider with all Android devices. Sure Lollipop is out, but it will be a while before my S4 gets the update and possibly longer for your Mega 6.3.

Could you try something else for me please?

Could you uninstall the app, then reinstall it. Test it. Then move it to your SD Card and retest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I agree that Kies isn't very good and only tend to use it to update and backup my phone. For those tasks it has been very useful and has worked when upgrading my phone and a couple of friends in the past.

The updates are down to your provider with all Android devices. Sure Lollipop is out, but it will be a while before my S4 gets the update and possibly longer for your Mega 6.3.

Could you try something else for me please?

Could you uninstall the app, then reinstall it. Test it. Then move it to your SD Card and retest.
      Your S4 is on track to get the Android L update by start of December, recently seen some testing on it

Like I said apps and ios/android O/S is what I do So tried everything and more.
      Just called up a few colleagues, who I know also have a Mega, both have same problem.

Anyway, sky app team have told me they know its a problem and fix on the way, as per their emails to me. Sure I already said that.

Thanks

No worries. It is being looked into.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast