Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky+ app: the new talking TV guide for blind and partially sighted customers

This is a discussion on Sky+ app: the new talking TV guide for blind and partially sighted customers within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky+ app: the new talking TV guide for blind and partially sighted customers Sky has worked with the RNIB to ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sky has worked with the RNIB to develop a new version of the popular Sky+ app – making it even easier for blind and partially sighted customers to find, and manage their favourite shows.The new update means that the Sky+ app – the UK’s most widely used subscription TV app is compatible with the latest voice-over technology built into iOS and Android devices. Customers can now make better use of the app by being able to control it through a series of gestures , while a voice over reads out each item of text that appears on the screen.This makes it easier than ever for blind and partially sighted viewers to:

• Browse the Now & Next TV guide
      • Record current and future episodes using Smart Series Link
      • View their Planner
      • Download on demand content
      • Find the shows they’ve missed with Catch Up TV
      • Access movies in the Sky Store

David Meredith, Sky’s Head of Core TV Products, commented:
      We want all our customers to enjoy the same great Sky experience and so making accessibility a core part of the Sky+ app was extremely important to us. With the updated Sky+ app it’s now even easier for our blind and partially sighted customers to browse the TV guide and record or download all their favourite shows.”Sky worked closely with customers, the RNIB, and its own dedicated Accessible Customer Service team to optimise the app for voice over technology and deliver the best experience yet for its blind or partially sighted customers. To use the accessibility features on the Sky+ app, Customers should connect their mobile or tablet to the same WiFi as their Sky+HD box and enable the voice over function on their device. They can then use the ‘Now & Next’ view within the TV Guide to browse and select current and future shows, hear descriptions and record the shows they want to watch later. Customers using the technology will also be able to browse hundreds of shows and movies and download them to their set top box through Catch Up TV, TV Box Sets, Sky Movies on Demand and Sky Store*. And, with the new and improved Search function, it’s even quicker for Customers to find exactly what they want to watch, when they want to watch it. The accessibility of the new Sky+ app marks an exciting achievement for the company, and is all part of its continuing drive to use technology and its proven track record as an innovator to make its products and services accessible to all its customers. Sky continues to work the RNIB and other stakeholders to improve the accessibility of its apps. For more information about the Sky+ app and all the services Sky offers its customers with disabilities see www.sky.com/accessibility. * Content available in line with Sky subscription

Sky+ app accessibility

• To access the full service Customers should connect their Sky+HD box and make sure their mobile or tablet is connected to the same WiFi network. For information on how to connect a Sky+HD box visit www.sky.com/connect
      • The Sky+ app can be used with VoiceOver (iOS) and Talkback (Android)
      • See your device user guide for instructions on how to set up and use VoiceOver or Talkback
      • VoiceOver and Talkback functions are not compatible with the remote control gestures or the TV Guide grid view
      • Within the TV Guide, the Now & Next view should be used to see current and forthcoming shows instead of the Grid

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky+ app: the new talking TV guide for blind and partially sighted customers

Totally pointless for the vast majority of blind folks.

But a step in the right direction nonetheless, so a genuine thumbs up for sky.

Thanks

Re: Sky+ app: the new talking TV guide for blind and partially sighted customers

Thankfully I am not in a position to say just how worthwhile or not this change is going to be.

I am aware that a number of visually impaired customers are out there. Features such are Audio Dialogue, the changed position of the Subtitles/Audio Dialogue and channel 996 are all for them.

The hardest thing for me to appreciate is a touch screen for a blind person. Since this is what the Sky+ app uses, it makes things a little difficult.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

The easiest thing to appreciate is that most people in that situation simply won't own smart phone or tablet etc.

Thanks

I do appreciate that, but I have to ask, are you in a position to comment from a personal experience or perhaps someone who is close to you?

I've just been playing with the Talkback feature enabled on my phone and can see some benefits more for those who are visually impaired than completely blind, but there again I can't comment personally on just how useful the feature is.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

My dad is registered blind.

What he'd really like to see is some kind of 'big font' option integrated into the sky box gui.
      Not easy for the epg & many other pages, granted but quite feasible for the search & scan banner i'd have thought.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (22-10-14)

Thanks

I shall pass the comment back, but it is unlikely to make it for the next update.
      gymno likes this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Wow that's great, thank you.

I wasn't being chippy earlier btw.
      It's just that if you passed a phone & tablet to my dad (or anyone else in his scene) they'd be of more use as a coaster & place mat LOL.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      It's just that if you passed a phone & tablet to my dad (or anyone else in his scene) they'd be of more use as a coaster & place mat LOL.
      Whilst that is probably true for most visually impaired people more and more are taking up using smart phones, tablets and computers. I do voluntary work for the R.N.I.B. I am a member of their Technology Squad and we setup and repair visually impaired people's computers, tablets, smart phones and other technology. We also install and set up various programs to aid them in their technology usage such as Dolphin Guide and Dragon S peaking. I went on a seminar a while back to see some of the technology that was coming into play for blind and visually impaired people. The seminar was given by a blind person and he was using a variety of electronic devices to help him one of which was a gps app on his IPhone that enabled a blind person to navigate their way around their local streets. Okay as a sighted person I did find that some of the things he was demonstrating rather difficult to use but blind and partially sighted people tend to make use of mental resources that sighted people just do not use and he seemed to be completely at home with what he was demonstrating. So I do think that these apps and programs are very worth while developing but I can quite understand that at the moment they are, probably,still in their infancy and not a lot of use to many visually impaired people at this point in time. I think a huge amount more needs to be done with voice recognition. Dragon Speaking and Dolphin guide are reasonably good but they are in no way perfect and I think perfection. i.e. with little or no learning required, is what to strive for in voice recognition.
      Scubbie and gymno like this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I absolutely agree.

For those suffering impairment after becoming fluent with these devices, or indeed those simply clever / determined enough to learn them, apps like this really are brilliant.

So a big thumbs up to sky, considering the relatively small demographic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast