Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

ISP Sky Broadband UK Warns of Phone Line Rental Price Rise

This is a discussion on ISP Sky Broadband UK Warns of Phone Line Rental Price Rise within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by dog-man My answer machine is set at 8 rings and is always on 24/7 as I am ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: ISP Sky Broadband UK Warns of Phone Line Rental Price Rise

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      My answer machine is set at 8 rings and is always on 24/7 as I am hard of hearing and can miss the phone if in some areas of my house and garden.
      You could get one of those bells which connects to your land line.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Indoor-Ou.../dp/B00027YEF8

or one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-4-Tone-Lo.../dp/B00027YEEY

I guess that it depends on just how often the phone rings and if any of those calls are important enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      My dad's 1571 is off & has no answerphone of his own, so it will ring forever until the person hangs up.
      Ok it does depend on just how comfortable someone is with new tech, but modern ansaphones are quite cheap and relatively easy to use. In my own case I have a cheap pair of DECT phones with an ansaphone as a part of the system. The whole lot cost me around 30 and has lasted quite well, despite one of the handsets being frequently dropped from it's cradle.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      Hello All
      So once again the 'sky price fairy' has landed +1.00 a month & still no
      mention of the 12 mth advance payment scheme why ?? is the reason monthly
      allows sky to maximize its revenue stream ?? I have tried the 1571 link & it
      appears I do not have this option.
      As I have the original sky freetime pack evenings & weekends I will stick with it
      for the time being but being without sky now with all the other options does not
      seem such a bad idea........Just a Thought......
      have a good Evening....
      I'd love to know just how many people have each of the different call packages available from Sky. Certainly the Talk Anytime packages are useful for some people, whilst others will find they represent an extra cost which they could do without.

Sadly for you and I the Freetime (which you have) and the Sky Talk Anytime packs are no longer available. Each is still available for those who already had them, but new customer or people wishing to upgrade or downgrade will have to take what is available now.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

wizard200 (21-10-14)

3. Advertisement
      wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk
      Sky TV: sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Hello Scubbie
      I think from my point of view the ' Freetime' pack that I have is ideal as we are at work all
      day Mon-Fri so unless our 'Cats have learnt to use the phone there is no one at home to
      use it anyway but I fail to understand why Sky stopped the line rental advance saver I can
      only assume its a revenue thing. I have asked Sky a few times & never had an answer
      they always seem to skip over' the subject Quickly & move on to trying to get you to
      upgrade to something or other.
      I feel for the people who have to take what they can get rather then what they may want !!
      but that seems to be Sky's answer take it or leave it..........
      I think its about time that Sky looked to it
      s customer base & gave something back !!
      they may not like it but thats what made ' Sky' what it is Today !!!

Just a Thought..........
      have a good evening ...... Beer I Think !!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Apparently some of the retentions teams are currently able to offer the Advanced Line Rental, but I do agree with you in that it was a bad decision to remove it.

As for the people at Sky listening to their customers, they are beginning to listen more and yes some things are changing, but BSkyB is a large company and their wheels turn slowly.

Sky, PlusNet, BT Retail, TalkTalk and Virgin Media are all guilty of changing deals for their customers which make for lesser deals to the newer customers. This is old practise from other companies and is just being replicated by these firms. Is it right? Not really. Is it legal? Sadly yes.

As for the call package that you have, I have no issues with your choice. With respect it is nothing for me to be concerned with, so long as you are happy with it. I made a specific choice to add the Sky Talk Anytime pack as it suited my needs at the time and still does.

As for the cats though...

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234