Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Sky Rainforest Rescue raises £8 million for the Amazon rainforest

This is a discussion on Sky Rainforest Rescue raises £8 million for the Amazon rainforest within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky Rainforest Rescue raises £8 million for the Amazon rainforest Sky Rainforest Rescue , a partnership between Sky and WWF, ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sky Rainforest Rescue, a partnership between Sky and WWF, today announced that it has reached its fundraising target a year early by raising £4 million which Sky has matched to total £8 million. The target was first set in May 2012 after an extension of the partnership was agreed. The money raised is helping to save one billion trees in the state of Acre in north-west Brazil and provides local communities with sustainable alternatives to deforestation.

Through the partnership Sky Rainforest Rescue helps over 1,500 small-scale farming families to manage their land in more sustainable ways and move away from ‘slash and burn’ practices. The partnership is also working with 60 rubber tappers from Acre, who tap wild rubber trees for liquid latex. By improving the market conditions and prices, the tappers now generate an income from the forest without cutting down trees. Sky Rainforest Rescue has also been developing environmental education activities within schools targeted at the small-scale farmers within the project area.

As one of the many ways to support Acre in the UK, Sky Rainforest Rescue recently teamed up with Lily Cole to create a sustainable trainer range with ethical French fashion brand Veja, who source rubber from Acre for the soles of their shoes. Sky has also raised awareness of deforestation with specially commissioned TV programming, the most recent of which was Flintoff’s Road to Nowhere.

Lucy Carver, Director of the Bigger Picture, Sky commented
      : “Sky Rainforest Rescue is proud to have reached its target of £8 million. We’re incredibly grateful to all our supporters who have helped raise this money through donations, jaguar adoptions, sponsoring an acre of rainforest and other sponsored events. We’ll continue to work together to support people in the Amazon and protect the future of this precious and irreplaceable rainforest.”

Nicky Day, Director of Corporate Partnerships at WWF commented:
      “The partnership over the past five years has gone from strength to strength and to have raised £8 million is just fantastic. Thanks to Sky and our Sky Rainforest Rescue supporters. Without your donations we couldn’t have got this far or made this impact on the ground. We hope you will continue to support our ambition to keep 1 billion trees standing in Acre, north-west Brazil and remain a part of our Sky Rainforest Rescue community. It is an exciting year ahead and I am looking forward to us achieving even more success together along the way.”

For more information or to get involved, please visit: http://rainforestrescue.sky.com/

2. Advertisement
      lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Re: Sky Rainforest Rescue raises £8 million for the Amazon rainforest

Why did sky get involved in this?
      What do saving the trees and rainforests have to do with sky or its customers.
      What about saving or keeping its UK customers happy with projects.

By the way the links in that press release do not work, all give a 404

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Without going back through the old records I don't know what reasons Sky gave when they first got involved with this project.

Is £8 Million good? Perhaps it could be a lot better. With the current economic climate getting anyone to donate money can be hard.

Personally I do think that it is important. We were taught that the Amazon rainforest provided much of our oxygen and processed the carbon dioxide we are so fond of producing. It has since been shown that it the Amazon river itself is responsible for a lot of this. However without the rainforest, what would happen to the Amazon river?

I checked all three links in the above post. They all work fine for me still. Could I ask you to check with another device and then to check that you don't have some nasty on your computer please? That is a sign that something could be wrong.

The rest of the press release contains additional information that I don't normally post. I'll post it below for reference as it contains some additional information you may like.

Notes to Editor:

Sky Rainforest Rescue is a six year project between Sky and WWF to help save one billion trees in the state of Acre, northwest Brazil. Sky and WWF are working with the Acre state government and local communities to make the trees worth more alive than dead, offering incentives for the sustainable use of the forest, working to increase market opportunities for sustainable produce from the forest, like rubber and monitoring deforestation.

Sky Rainforest Rescue has recently been involved with:

• In Acre, Brazil, Sky Rainforest Rescue has been developing environmental education activities within schools along the BR-364 road in the Project Area. The educational activities are also targeted at the small-scale farmers and extractivists.
      • The partnership is also helping to improve processing standards for acai berries by working with the Acre state government and improving market conditions and prices.
      • Sky Rainforest Rescue is supporting the growing industry of sustainable management of the large freshwater pirarucu (arapaima) - a highly profitable edible fish. So far pirarucu management across 10 natural lakes has resulted in harvesting of 24 tonnes of the fish per annum, an 80% increase on previous years. An association of pirarucu managers made up of representatives from the 256 families involved has been created.
      • Back in the UK, throughout the partnership Sky has made on-air programming, to support Sky Rainforest Rescue, including our last show, ‘Flintoff’s Road to Nowhere’.
      • SRR has also partnered with the Eden Project to open its first wild rubber exhibit in the Eden Rainforest Biome where visitors can learn more about wild rubber from the trees to the soles of your shoes

There are lots of ways for people to support Sky Rainforest Rescue. For just £3 a month you can sponsor an acre of forest or adopt a jaguar. For more information visit: www.sky.com/rainforestrescue

About WWF:

WWF is one of the world's largest and most respected independent conservation organizations, with almost 5 million supporters and a global network active in over 100 countries. WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of the earth's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.

About Sky:

Sky is the UK and Ireland’s leading home entertainment and communications company. Around 40% of all homes have a direct relationship with Sky through its range of TV, broadband and home telephony services.

Sky is the UK’s biggest investor in television content, investing more than £2.6 billion a year in channels such as Sky 1, Sky Atlantic, Sky Living, Sky Arts, Sky Sports, Sky Movies and Sky News. Around two-thirds of Sky’s content spend is invested in the UK and Sky is the fastest-growing source of investment in original British programmes. More than 30 million people watch Sky content each week.

Alongside its commitment to offering customers a greater choice of high-quality content, Sky is a leading innovator. Customers enjoy total control and flexibility over their favourite TV through Sky+, watch TV on the move through Sky Go, and enjoy the best quality TV experience at home through High Definition and 3D.

Sky distributes its content broadly over several platforms, including satellite, cable, IPTV, mobile and WiFi. NOW TV, Sky’s second consumer brand, builds on the company’s leadership in internet TV. Sky is also the UK's fastest-growing home communications company and favourite ‘triple-play’ provider of TV, broadband and home phone.

Sky believes in making a positive contribution to society by acting responsibly day-to-day, reaching beyond our business to inspire people to take action through Sky Academy, Sky Rainforest Rescue and Sky Cycling, as well as by growing our economic and social contribution. Sky employs 25,000 people, has annual revenues of £7.6 billion and is estimated to support a £6.0 billion contribution to UK GDP. Sky is listed on the London Stock Exchange (BSY).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post

To an extent I agree with you on this. Whilst the rain forests do need saving because, as Scubbie points out, they do provide a lot of our oxygen and do process our waste carbon dioxide along with a whole lot of other ecological benefits. But a huge part of the problem is corruption within the various governments that "oversee" rainforests. A lot of the money that goes to these particular charities does not actually reach the intended "victims," whether that be rainforests or people, because of corrupted governments. That is my concern with all the charities that ask for money. None, so far, have shown that they can guarantee that the monies donated actually reaches the, intended, destination because, I believe, an awful lot of it goes into, unintended, pockets. I also have to say that there are far better UK charities that could use the money and home charities are far easier to police than overseas ones.

The links did work for me as well.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post

Maybe you missed the point that 4 million was donated by the public and 4M by Sky. Over 2 years that is enough for Sky to give all its 10M customers an annual bonus of about £1.25. So you might say if you are a Sky customer you are donating about 10p a month to help maintain one of the most important resources on Earth. I would think Sky have sufficient funds set aside for R & D and a couple of million a year would be a drop in the ocean.

The links also work here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Its ok it was sky end they have fixed the links now. I reported it.

Yeh I read all that gumph on the corporate link.
      Still not convinced, I'm really not one for saving the trees.

Be honest I thought the WWF panda had disappeared years ago, not seen them anywhere for ages.
      Googled them and looks like they are now a greenpeace organisation trying to be poilitical conservationists.
      They still have a panda logo though.
      Not something I want anything to do with.