Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Complaints Mire 950Mbps Sky Broadband FTTH Trial in Basingstoke UK

This is a discussion on Complaints Mire 950Mbps Sky Broadband FTTH Trial in Basingstoke UK within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Complaints Mire 950Mbps Sky Broadband FTTH Trial in Basingstoke UK - ISPreview UK Sky Broadband s 12 month trial of ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Complaints Mire 950Mbps Sky Broadband FTTH Trial in Basingstoke UK

Complaints Mire 950Mbps Sky Broadband FTTH Trial in Basingstoke UK - ISPreview UK
      Sky Broadbands 12 month trial of a new 950Mbps (Megabits per second) capable GPON based Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH/P) network in the town of Basingstoke (Hampshire, England) has been hit by complaints from locals who object to the installation of new telegraph poles, which are apparently deemed unsightly by residents of Hackwood Road.

The existence of Skys new Superfast Fibre Trial, which is being conducted alongside Love Digital TV, was revealed last month and is entirely separate from Skys similar Joint Venture with CityFibre and TalkTalk in the city of York (here). Skys trial network aims to deliver the service directly into homes by using overhead fibre optic lines from telegraph poles, which in some areas is preferable to the greater disruption caused by having to dig up roads and gardens.

Unfortunately the attraction of being able to benefit from one of the fastest and most advanced broadband services in the United Kingdom isnt enough to satisfy some locals, with around 20 letters of complaint having already found their way into the inbox of local councillor Brian Gurden (Liberal Democrat).
      Brian Gurden, Councillor for Basingstoke South East, said:

The Camrose estate has some old-style telephone poles that we would rather get rid of because, as someone said, it makes it look like a third-world country. They should not be putting this trial in here. They should be seeking to reach other parts of the country, the rural areas, that are hard to reach.
      The Basingstoke Gazette article reveals that the trial involves around 120 homes along streets including Camberry Close, Camrose Way, Chesterfield Way and Westfield Road etc. A number of the complainants reference the fact that they were not told the trial would involve the use of telegraph poles, although Sky did in fact stick related notices on several poles in the area beforehand and the trial itself also has the support of Hampshire County Council.

Apparently one of the major gripes locals have is that they view telegraph poles as being an old way of delivering infrastructure and apparently its all a bit much if you live in a house with a new telegraph pole in front. Speaking as somebody who sees telegraph poles all around, including the one connecting my own home, Id respectfully beg to differ.

Indeed such poles are still normal for many areas and just because some live in a location where they havent been present for a while doesnt make it an out of date method for running cables into properties. The issue also holds more than a passing similarity to the complaints that arose from residents of Kenstella Road in Newlyn (Cornwall, England) after BT installed a new 11 metre high pole (here).

Many people would gladly allow such poles to be installed if it meant they could get Gigabit style broadband speeds. In the meantime Sky has politely apologised and said they were working hard to minimise any disruption to residents, and we are pleased with feedback we have received from triallists to date.

2. Advertisement
      batch_2001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Complaints Mire 950Mbps Sky Broadband FTTH Trial in Basingstoke UK

Damn it. I used to live in Hackwood Road. I'd have happily suffered the unsightly poles and had ftth

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Basically some people are never happy! Lol :-) my god there some areas that still receive electricity via poles! Now that really is from the dark ages!

Thanks

If it were painted a nice flourescent pink or green, then I could understand the fuss. They aren't though. They are simply new poles that look just the same as the poles used by Openreach.

I don't know how they are being laid out in relation to any existing poles, but they can't be that bad.

I am wondering, that cynical side of me once more, if perhaps the residents have been encouraged to complain about them by someone.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Basically some people are never happy! Lol :-) my god there some areas that still receive electricity via poles! Now that really is from the dark ages!
      Electwickery on poles? I think not. In the dark ages you didn't have electwickery. If you did you got burned at the stake.
      Fryingpan77 likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Electwickery on poles? I think not. In the dark ages you didn't have electwickery. If you did you got burned at the stake.
      Delhi overhead wires | Photo

Thanks

Thankfully I don't think that it is anywhere like that in Basingstoke.

As for India, I think that some do need to learn some basics about this electwickery stuff (don't watch the videos below if you are screemish). I knew of the 2nd video, but the first is a little more relevant. Also apologies in advance for the swearing by the person recording the video:

Last edited by Scubbie; 30-07-14 at 10:23 PM. Reason: added additional warning

skippy75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub
      Thanks

Some people will moan about anything!

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      It's probably safer to tightrope across the street than try and cross the road

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skippy75 View Post
      Some people will moan about anything!

Stop moaning!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast