Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Complaints Mire 950Mbps Sky Broadband FTTH Trial in Basingstoke UK

This is a discussion on Complaints Mire 950Mbps Sky Broadband FTTH Trial in Basingstoke UK within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Well I'm sorry to differ in such august company, but when someone has stuck a great lump of a pole ...

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Complaints Mire 950Mbps Sky Broadband FTTH Trial in Basingstoke UK

Well I'm sorry to differ in such august company, but when someone has stuck a great lump of a pole outside a house with a reasonable frontage, I would certainly question the necessity, and would further ask what on earth would you want delivered at such speed that couldn't be delivered by other means. And don't start me on wind turbines on-shore and offshore for the blight they are fast becoming in certain areas.

I'm hundreds of miles from this trial area, so have no vested interest, but a neighbour arrived home to suddenly find a new thick pole outside her house, and when they are just a few feet from your front window, I can tell you aesthetics wins over the unproven need for speed.

Cheers folks!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I personally don't see telegraph poles as a blight on our local landscape.

Sure there are died dark-light brown (depending on age) and are made of wood, but they hve carried necessary cables for both electricity and telephone services.

The example of the cabling in India is perhaps a very poor one. I get the impression that there is not ability to control the growth of the local infrastructre and maintain a degree of safety. Whilst not as bad, I have seen what it was like when I was working in Egypt. The cheap quality of the plastic cables used and the total disregard to hooking up wire here and there was a nightmare.

As for wind turbines and solar panels, I am in favour of both. However I am personally against fracking.

Wind Turbines and Solar Panels allow us to generate electricity from the resources which we have an abundance and which currently show no signs of running out for a few generations. Whether we want to admit it or not, fossil fuels will run out. Whether it is 50 or 500 years, we have a finite quantity available.

As for fracking, simply to allow a company to pump unknown toxins into the ground, spilling into the water table, without any proper understanding of what they are doing, is beyond stupid.

Ok, unlike the US where many properties will have their fresh water piped almost directly to their own home, we do have our fresh water piped through water treatment plants. However not many people are aware just how many chemicals are already put into out water in order to kill off certain microbes. Adding more chemicals in order to negate the damage from fracking is IMHO asking for trouble. Just ask someone who lives in the Bodmin area about how they feel about chemicals in their water.

If fracking is introduced, I wonder how long it will be before a water treatment plant explodes due to the levels of gas coming up from the ground into their buildings.

Wind Turbines might be a blot on the landscape for many people, but for too long we have brushed our mess under the carpet. Historical Coal Mining now threaten many homes. Oil spills poison our seas.

Well placed wind turbines on land aren't intrusive.

Wind turbine in the sea might mean that some fishing grounds are effectively closed off, but it has been demonstrated that by allowing fish to have protected areas where they can spawn and grow, the areas near them benefit even more with better fish stokes. Of course it may also be possible to dive near the turbines, generating possible tourism income for many locals.

As for solar panels, it pleases me to see many on the roofs of houses across the country now. There is also a few fields full of them behind HMS Collingwood in Fareham, along with various other areas across the country now. Personally I would have preferred them to be a little higher so that the livestock could continue to graze around them, as they do in Holland and other European countries.

I know a lot of people object to them both, but if we want to have a life where we can switch on a light bulb, watch a TV or just listen to a radio, then we need somewhere to get the electric generated.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

It would depend where the pole was placed for me to complain.

If it was placed smack in the middle of the view from my window, I might have a moan, but generally, I have no problem with telegraph poles, especially if they are bringing me much faster net access.

Thanks

Agreed. There are pros and cons for all these solutions, but local people are sick to the back teeth of their views being completely ignored by those who have power and authority but are remote from the people whose lives are significantly affected by their unrepresentative decision making. I chair a local community group and my experiences of dealing with politicians in particular has definitely coloured my thinking.

But to keep the thread on course, poles sound like a cheap option over and against more.cost but more in keeping with a locality.

Cheers

Thanks

Telegraph poles tend to be placed between properties, so as not to be in the middle of someone's lounge window. I've just been looking at some areas I know on Google earth and most of them are like this, but not all. A couple of them weren't in the best position, but at the same time they still weren't quite in the middle of someone's view.

Of course a BT pole typically serves as many as 12 homes. This means that most won't have the issue of one being too close to them.

Out in the country, provided Sky deploy in rural areas, the issue will be different. Existing poles for electric and telephone will already be in place, often covering both sides of the road. This is where Sky's reported request to be able to use existing BTO poles was quite important. For now this isn't going to happen, but perhaps someone will see sense in the future, a little like how mobile masts are now often available for all mobile providers.

As for Politicians, I'll keep my views off the forum as I'll face an instant ban if I aired my thoughts on them on here. In many ways I can understand why Scotland wants to dump London's Parliament and go their own way.

Wales have their own local government, so does Northern Ireland. The English are stuffed with the on big mess which politicians from all four countries contribute MPs to.
      jrfer likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

I do know of a lamppost being placed in front of somebody's drive whilst they were out!

It took a long time and many, many letters before it was eventually moved.

Thanks

Yes, and here in Wales some of the most inept and disgracefully disingenuous replies have come from my First Minister unfortunately! I'm afraid the gene pool is very small here ;-((

Cheers

Thanks

It was in wales!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      It was in wales!
      I rest my case! :-))

Cheers

Thanks

I sure the naughty side of someone might have wanted to chop it down with a chain saw. I'd also send the bill to the local council for the removal of the said lamppost with a request that that pay up in full within 14 days or face legal action.

If they argued that I had damaged council property, I'd argue back that not only did that have planning permission to place it in a position that blocked access to my land, but also they had damaged my driveway in the process of installing it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast