Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky in Gigabit trials in Hampshire

This is a discussion on Sky in Gigabit trials in Hampshire within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; thinkbroadband :: Sky in Gigabit trials in Hampshire Campaigners are calling for more fibre to the home and it looks ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sky in Gigabit trials in Hampshire

thinkbroadband :: Sky in Gigabit trials in Hampshire
      Campaigners are calling for more fibre to the home and it looks like Sky are spending money to find out how popular a fibre to the home service will be. The TV, phone and broadband operator is running a trial in limited areas of Hampshire that will see fibre to the home installed, with speeds up to 1 Gbps.

The new telegraph pole this notice is on is actually in Basingstoke with the picture supplied to us by Tim Robinson (thank you Tim) and suggests that more poles are on the way so that fibre can be easily run into peoples homes as the trial progresses.

The website for the trial talks of speeds around 15 times the UK standard broadband speeds but this is just for a Wi-Fi connection, the homes will actually be getting Gigabit connections and speeds of potentially 950 Mbps will be possible if using Ethernet and suitable hardware.

While the trial is of new Sky infrastructure it is being run by a Love Digital trial team. While no pricing is mentioned there is talk of a special offer to encourage people to sign up, and once the service is ready to be delivered to the first people we will be sure to hear on pricing and have emailed Sky to see if any more detail is forthcoming.

An interesting part of the project is that they talk of working with the Hampshire Superfast Broadband Programme who signed with BT back in 2013, so it is not totally clear what the level of co-operation may be, perhaps just ensuring that these trial areas are not already part of the gap funded project areas.

The UK broadband market place is increasingly showing more willingness to invest in actual infrastructure, with Sky also investing 5m in York as part of the first phase of FTTH to 20,000 properties in the city, possibly growing to 80,000 in the future. Who knows the safe and stepped approach that the BT Group Board has followed for broadband since its inception may come back to haunt them if roll-outs like what Sky appear to be planning prove popular and the operator can roll-out to significant numbers of homes.

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: tp link archer d7 + draytek vigor 130 modem
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: Sky in Gigabit trials in Hampshire

Hope its successful and sky expand it would love 1 gig speeds he he.

Thanks

I'm sure that a lot of other people would agree with you.

The sad truth is that the vast majority of people would not currently benefit from these speeds.

Most devices that are already in the home only have a 100mb port, so the actual speeds would be wasted. It is only when multiple users are using the connection that the speed might have some benefit.

As for pings though, from chatting with someone else about another FTTP network, I would expect sub 5ms to be quite common. This would mean that gamers would have no excuses but would still blame something other than their playing.
      Mystic Eddy, jrfer and Angel_Rex like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

markm9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT-N56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If this goes ahead do you think sky will publish results of the trial, also im assuming they will have to improve their current suplied modem/ router, or will it be a software update if this is at all possible.
      [URL=http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4411733501]

Thanks

I have been pushing for more information on this but at the moment it is all shrouded in secrecy. So sadly we have to wait a little.

Hopefully once the trials start someone might be friendly and leak us some information, but that may be a few months away yet.

As for the router, the suggestion is that it'll only have 150mbps WiFi. If this is true then it won't be popular with anyone. However I do believe that Sky are developing their next router. Obviously at this stage I couldn't share anything as I haven't even seen it.

It is possibly at the design or alpha testing stage. I am aware that they have been taking notes of what the customers are looking for though. From what I have seen the people suggesting things are basically looking for an industry leading ISP router for and industry leading broadband product.

Where I've added my thoughts I have taken note of many of the suggestions previously mentioned on these forums and passed these on.

Personally I really do hope that it will not be locked down as much as all the present routers are. I would prefer the router to have a couple of layers. The first would be for those who aren't that familiar with routers. It would allow you to do much of what can be accomplished with the current firmwares. The second layer would provide for the more advanced user and allow you to alter things such as DNS, parental controls and much more.

However, at this stage, you know as much as I do.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

markm9 (19-06-14)

markm9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router: Asus RT-N56U
      Thanks

Thanks for that Scubbie, router side will be a big disappointment if its only 150mbps wifi, they could if it happens make it easier as you suggested to hook up your own router, rather than jump through the proverbial hoops, just add your username and password to the router and off you go!
      [URL=http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4411733501]

Thanks

No problem. At this stage though I am treating such stories as gossip as no one has actually got FTTP from Sky installed in Basingstoke yet. After all they have only currently got one telegraph pole and no cables attached at the moment.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

The winter in the UK seems to get more and more extreme with stronger winds.I would not want my internet run along poles to be blown down and having no internet for weeks while they fix it.

Thanks

This is the case, and has been for many years, in much of the rural areas.

When heavy snows arrive the electricity and telephone cables are often brought down by the weight of the snow and ice which forms on them.

It will be a difficult trade off between having cables that are strong enough to not break and cables that can hold too much snow and/or ice which causes the telegraph poles to be pulled down,

At the same time it is cheaper to install and later repair cables that have been strung up on the poles than underground cables. It is far easier to have someone access the pole, than to arrange for someone to dig up the road/footpath and fill it all in again afterwards.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

FTTH requires a fibre modem, none of the Sky routers would qualify. Given that there will be very few FTTH connections, for some years anyway, it is very unlikely Sky will produce their own modem/router. They are more likely to use a generic device, possibly with their logo stuck on it, something like this - FTTH | D-Link UK

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast