Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Like Tree34Likes

Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike - ISPreview UK Give with one hand and take away ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike - ISPreview UK
      Give with one hand and take away with the other. Sky (Sky Broadband), which only just launched a new Sky Sports TV bundle that comes with two years’ worth of free unlimited standard broadband, has braced customers for a potential price hike.

Just like clockwork Sky have updated their website to include a hardly visible asterisk (*) next to the prices for their Sky TV packages and bundles, which goes to the following text: “Sky TV prices will increase on 1 September. In accordance with our standard terms, your Sky TV package may rise by up to 10% in a minimum contract term.”

Sky did exactly the same thing on 1st September last year, which is necessary to satisfy the usual notification period but doesn’t actually tell customers (new or existing) precisely which aspects of the service will be going up in price or by how much.

Past experience tells us that it won’t affect every service, since Sky’s entry-level TV package is still priced at £21.50 per month (excluding the current 6-months half price offer) and that’s the same as it cost pre-September last year. But other services did go up in price.

One other aspect to consider is that most ISPs tend to announce annual price rises during the August-September window, with BT traditionally being one of the first to set the future tone. So it wouldn’t be fair to consider Sky’s plans in isolation of those changes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

wizard200 (28-06-14)

3. Advertisement
      wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk
      Sky TV: sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

Hello Scubbie
      Just seen the notification in My Sky while checking my latest bill, I would have thought that with all the
      other choices that people have today Sky would look towards a reduction in some charges : ie cost for high end fibre !! plus most of the packages have many channels that nobody I know including
      myself have never watched & likely never will but we still pay for them !!
      It would be far better if you could 'Pick & Mix' the channels people want & then pay the price for them
      I am sure Sky would gain more then they would lose......
      They advise that the increase could be 10% & most if any apart from 'Bankers will have seen any
      where near that size of increase in family income this last 12 months.

Just a Thought...............

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      Hello Scubbie
      Just seen the notification in My Sky while checking my latest bill, I would have thought that with all the
      other choices that people have today Sky would look towards a reduction in some charges : ie cost for high end fibre !! plus most of the packages have many channels that nobody I know including
      myself have never watched & likely never will but we still pay for them !!
      It would be far better if you could 'Pick & Mix' the channels people want & then pay the price for them
      I am sure Sky would gain more then they would lose......
      They advise that the increase could be 10% & most if any apart from 'Bankers will have seen any
      where near that size of increase in family income this last 12 months.

Just a Thought...............

They use to have the programmes broken down into different groups so you could choose the ones you want . They then stopped that and put them into one and put the price up. I agree with you about never watching a lot of the channels, we are just being forced to pay for these channels. With all the repeats on all channels they should be reducing the price not putting it up. They have just started itv encore which is nothing but repeats how pointless.

Mickr

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Kerrr Ching.

And nearly a Billion profit.

Do you really think they will put it down ??

==========
      Regards
      Dave

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk
      Sky TV: sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Hello All
      When I look across the various suppliers although it worries me to say this BT have
      a cheaper Hi End Fibre option then Sky & a much better Hub5 router plus you do get free
      sports (not sure for how long) this will last & Plusnet are cheaper still although no sports
      unless you pay more, Sky at present offer 2 yrs free BB (around £180) saving if you take
      sky sports at around £ 28.00 a month in HD on top of your family pack price it would be
      nice if Sky reduced some prices to long standing customers but I think thats very unlikely
      although we did have a Thunderbolt !! over Gatwick yesterday ..........

Just a thought.......

Thanks

I do agree that Sky's Fibre products aren't as cheap as BT Retail's. The SR102 isn't as good as any of the routers currently supplied with the other main ISPs either as their Ethernet and LAN speeds are far better.

As for the prices, I would guess that those of us who were with Sky TV prior to September 2011 when the different small packs existed (i.e. entertainment, kids, music, documentary) for an additional £1 each, will also find that any 'legacy' price is eroded away a little more.

I can understand, based on money alone, why people would be interested in BT Infinity. Don't forget though that Sky did introduce an offer for anyone with the Sky Sports package to entice them to stay or take up Sky Broadband Unlimited or SFU.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

To be fair to Sky they are only pointing out that their T&Cs allows them to increase their prices by 10% during the term of the contract and that it could be more if the government were to increase the rate of VAT on the services that Sky supply.

They are not necessarily saying that prices will go up by this amount. Having said that I don't expect to see many customers paying less for Sky post 1st of September.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure that since joining sky tv in may 2008, the price for standard tv has gone up by £1 per year.
      That is apart from 1 or maybe 2 years where it stayed the same.

Certainly with the last few increases, 'upto 10%' has been mentioned in their marketing, yet it's always been £1.

Thanks

Sky are not totally insensitive.

The 10% figure is a limit. The actual rise last year for most people was much less than 10%, but for some it was a little closer.

I would expect the price rise to be something similar this year as inflation hasn't changed that much and although wages are on the rise, overall people are still struggling in the UK.

A huge number of Sky's customer base are not rich and often rely on benefits. It would be suicidal for Sky to increase the prices too much above how much the Government raised the benefit this year.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I have decided that if the increase is above 1% which is what I have been offered at work, I shall either be cancelling all of sky except for my internet and phone or I will just cancel sky sports. Not decided yet.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast