Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Like Tree34Likes

Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; A polite reminder for everyone please... Whilst we appreciate that you may be annoyed with Sky and their price rise ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

A polite reminder for everyone please...

Whilst we appreciate that you may be annoyed with Sky and their price rise and lack of discounts, please do remember that this is a public forum that can be read by people of all backgrounds and all age groups.

The forum rules state that swearing is not tolerated and that circumventing the swear filter will be treated in the same manner.
      dog-man likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

wizard200 (06-07-14)

3. Advertisement
      dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Just discovered that my Smart TV already has series link for recording, so won't need to buy a Freesat pvr if and when I dump sky.
      Must have been activated in the last software update as I am fairly sure it wasn't there when I tested the recording facility several months ago.

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I've been reviewing the various options as I think Sky is now tipping over the edge of acceptable prices.

My TV has Freeview HD and Freesat built in and I think can act as a PVR too. I like the look of freeview, but I'm now thinking NOWTV maybe a good option.

The 4.99 gives me access to the general tv channels I want (Comedy Central being a main one) and then 9.99 for a Movie pass feels reasonable value. I have NowTV on my apple tv and also PS3, but buying the actual box at 34.99 with 5 months movie pass has to be a good choice.

It seems to also stream in 720p where possible without the extra 10 HD sub.

Any thoughts on NowTV?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

My own TV allows me to record via a USB drive or memory stick as well from either Freeview or Freesat. However I can only watch the same channel and the series link doesn't work so well if the time changes.

NowTV has had problems with streaming things when it has become very popular. Although The Simpsons is now able to be seen via Sky Go and I hope NowTV, there may still be other programmes that aren't.

Sky are working on both these issues, but there will always be minor hiccups from time to time.

Of course the advantages include the ability to watch Sky with the NowTV app when you are either at home or when on holiday in the UK or Ireland.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I have discovered that I can record from both freesat & freeview at the same time (both inbuilt) or record one and watch the other.
      I already have various motorised satellite systems and they can also record, built in on demand and obtain everything I like to view easily, so I won't be short of viewing options but will have a good holiday each year using the money I will no longer give to sky.
      jayhab, totalwar, Scubbie and 3 others like this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Interesting chat with sky exec office today. I was asking about what package was most relevant to my viewing needs and comparing to now tv. Specifically why movies on now tv is half the price of mainstream sky. Bottom line is via sky the best they can do is 54.75 which is just the standard price for the relevant packages for me compared to 15 if I get the same on now tv. They advised me to go to now tv and leave mainstream sky. As I'm on fibre there isn't any impact on my fibre charge. My only challenge is can I live with HD content.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew
      My only challenge is can I live with[out] HD content.
      For 40 in my pocket every month, i could.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep, im going to give it a go. With the savings of ditching sport on top I could buy a bluray or two or try some of the HD streaming services on my Apple TV.

When my fibre is out of contract in jan, I may look at bt vision if I'm not getting on with a streaming tv service.

Thanks

I have decided that enough is enough and I am definitely going to dump all of sky TV. It is just too overpriced now.

Sadly, I was wrong about my smart TV being able to record from freesat and let me view freeview at the same time, so I will need to buy a freesat box with a dual tuner. This will also make things easier for my technophobe wife to use.

I am well out of contract with my fibre pro unlimited or whatever it is called so may look around to see if there are better deals out there.
      I must say though, that I am very happy with sky fibre.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Like everyone else I've now had the Sky letter increasing my subscription by 3.50 per month (so it's now well over 1k/year).

Can I afford it? The answer is yes. However more importantly 'Will I afford it and the answer is NO.

The letter from Sky is an insult and the wording is carefully chosen to annoy me as much as possible. If Sky wish to compete with BT by spending ever increasing outrageous sums on PL/CL football they should recover their costs by better efficiency and better deals - however they simply think they can pass all the costs onto the customer.

So I hope someone from Sky notes that this customer is about to say NO and if I'm dropping one service I might as well drop them all. I'm free of any constraints within the next couple of weeks and I shall begin looking around for BB and Telephone suppliers (which might include Sky).

However after years of debating about Sky TV I'm going to cancel that completely and go the Freesat/Freeview route. Now that should worry Sky because I'm going to drop completely out of the PayTV market. As Sky know from experience keeping an existing customer is way easier than finding a new customer.

If I was a cynic I'd say Sky are thrashing the prices this year so they can do something dramatic next year when they loose Champions League football for several seasons. However a time always comes when you have to say 'that's enough' and my letter dated 7 July 2014 is that watershed.

I've just looked at Humax Freesat PVR boxes and aren't they cheap! I can be completely re-equipped and be free of Sky charge equivalents by early autumn.

Goodbye Sky.
      Last edited by dms05; 09-07-14 at 04:02 PM.
      Meteosat and dog-man like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dms05 For This Useful Post:

wizard200 (09-07-14)

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast