Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Like Tree34Likes

Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by lettice No one would actually pay 855 though would they with offers/discounts. Movies is the one I ...

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      No one would actually pay 855 though would they with offers/discounts.

Movies is the one I would consider anyone to look at alternatives as it is now overly expensive, as there really are many other better alternatives these days, like Netflix and amazon prime.
      I don't have any discounts and that is what I would be paying just the the television part, unless they offered me a massive discount when I ring to cancel everything bar the phone and internet.

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I also don't have any discounts on my TV (or in fact on any other part of my Sky TV/broadband/calls service)

Yesterday when I rang to downgrade my TV, they put me on hold (whilst I presume they where talking to retentions) and came back with nothing. This was before they went into rant mode after I just happened to mentioned the price increase letter (in passing) as well.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      I still think the "Complete Bundle" is good value at less than 18 a week, it would cost you more than that to take a family of four to the cinema just once and probably double the monthly costs for a couple of you to go to a Premiership football game these days.

But, I just don't have the time to watch all this TV to make sure I get what I feel is good value out of the subscription. I have to be employed to afford Sky and unemployed to have time to watch it all...

The bottom line is no-one is forced to pay for it, if you want the content (legally), that's the price because Sky have the rights, the same can be said about BT and their overpriced broadband so you get "free" sport.

Personally I don't think things like the Original, Variety and Family Bundles are worth the price charged, especially with things like Now TV coming in at 4.99 for similar content.

My discounts end soon and again I will give notice. I'll consider what they offer me (if anything), but will happily swap to a Freesat box for a one off cost. I have access to the content in "other ways" that I am desperate to see. Still, I don't begrudge anyone that wants to pay for Sky, it's personal choice and everyone has different priorities.

By the way, my current Sky bill is 45.45 which includes 50% off of TV for a year and 3 a month line rental for a year. I have Fibre and Sky Talk Unlimited so this would normally be 73.40 a month without discounts (74.40 after 1st September), and that's a price I'm not willing to pay.

Freesat would bring my monthly TV costs to nil (excluding Licence Fee, which was also excluded above), Plusnet Fibre with the same speeds etc. as I have now is 14.99 a month and they still do Line Rental Saver so that is the equivalent of 12.99 a month. I would drop unlimited calls as I have them on the mobiles so I'm left with 27.98 a month, a figure I can live with.
      Call me a cynic if you like, but didn't you put up a similar post last year?...and Sky made you an offer you couldn't refuse?

Now for some perspective, I had free Sky until recently and I could have kept it but I don't use it enough so I have freeview (my parent's have my free Sky instead - my dad watches lots of sports and movies) since there is enough free content online to satisfy my viewing beyond BBC stuff. I can watch SkyGo from my account if I wanted to but I don't. So I can totally understand your point about not needing it.

Sky will give a very competitive price (IMO) for broadband and phone without tv.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Sky told me that if i removed my 10.25 HD pack, as it's a separate thing i'll be left paying 23.50 for variety & not be moved to the current 27 price.

I'm also free to add or remove sports or movies at any time (without incurring the extra 5.25 for HD) & this also wouldn't affect the legacy price either.

Introductory offers are just that - offers & will come to an end.
      My 3.50 saving per month is permanent.
      So long term customers do get something.
      Your 3.50 saving is NOT permanent.
      It will be reduced in this years price change although it doesn't seem to be an across the board increase of 1 like last year. I have seen an account without premiums (Movies or Sports) where it was only going down by 0.50 whereas I have seen others with premiums going down by as much as 1.25 so far...

All we have been told is that "price freeze" will be reduced but no specific amounts have been confirmed. I would guess it will depend on what your subscription will be on 1st September but I cannot confirm this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      I also don't have any discounts on my TV (or in fact on any other part of my Sky TV/broadband/calls service)

Yesterday when I rang to downgrade my TV, they put me on hold (whilst I presume they where talking to retentions) and came back with nothing. This was before they went into rant mode after I just happened to mentioned the price increase letter (in passing) as well.
      They won't have spoken to retentions unless you mentioned cancelling everything on the call.
      Although retentions also get downgrade calls so they might have been retentions anyway.

If historically, you have had discounts then, unfortunately you are more likely to get better offers if you call to cancel.
      If you have never changed the package and/or never had offers before then unfortunately the offers they can give will be lower in most cases.
      Certain customer groups where the cancel rate is (historically) much higher will get better offers.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I have connected a HDD to my Smart TV in preparation to train my 100% technophobe wife to use it.
      She can barely use sky, so it should be fun trying to train her.

I wonder if there is a Freesat box out there that has a series link function similar to sky, or is that unique to sky?

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Call me a cynic if you like, but didn't you put up a similar post last year?...and Sky made you an offer you couldn't refuse?
      Indeed they did, 50% off TV for a year, 6 months free Fibre and Line Rental at 3 a month for a year. As I would have had to buy a Freesat box to replace Sky and due to the Fibre deals around at the time it was cheaper for me to stay another year. Still didn't watch much though.

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      I wonder if there is a Freesat box out there that has a series link function similar to sky, or is that unique to sky?
      All of the recording Humax Freesat boxes have series link. I also believe that if you go to record something in SD it tells you if it is available in HD.
      dog-man likes this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Your 3.50 saving is NOT permanent.
      It will be reduced in this years price change although it doesn't seem to be an across the board increase of 1 like last year. I have seen an account without premiums (Movies or Sports) where it was only going down by 0.50 whereas I have seen others with premiums going down by as much as 1.25 so far...

All we have been told is that "price freeze" will be reduced but no specific amounts have been confirmed. I would guess it will depend on what your subscription will be on 1st September but I cannot confirm this.
      I've already had a letter explaining that my sub is going up by 1.
      So if the normal price of the variety pack is going up by 1 too, i'm left with the same 3.50 saving.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If historically, you have had discounts then, unfortunately you are more likely to get better offers if you call to cancel.
      If you have never changed the package and/or never had offers before then unfortunately the offers they can give will be lower in most cases.
      Certain customer groups where the cancel rate is (historically) much higher will get better offers.
      That's what is wrong with Sky today....moan and whinge at Sky and you get the discounts. Pay you bill every month and you get <Removed> all!

Sky Exec office also called me yesterday to discuss what happened. 3 offers magically appeared (3 months discounted Movies, 12 months half price multi-screen or 12 months half price line rental)
      Last edited by Scubbie; 06-07-14 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Removed unacceptable word/s

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

I have 30% off for 5 years not see many with that discount.But even with that discount still finding it tough finding the subs money every month.i had to get rid of movies and sports can't afford it no more.i did have full package for years and sky decides to put up prices by 10%.anyone here get a 10% pay rise the last three years?

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast