Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Like Tree34Likes

Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; TV Package New Price The Original Bundle (no price rise) 21.50 The Variety Bundle 28.00 The Family Bundle ...

snooker147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

TV Package New Price
      The Original Bundle (no price rise) 21.50
      The Variety Bundle 28.00
      The Family Bundle 33.00
      The Movies Bundle 38.00
      The Sports Bundle 46.00
      The Complete Bundle 71.25

2. Advertisement
      stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

I still think the "Complete Bundle" is good value at less than 18 a week, it would cost you more than that to take a family of four to the cinema just once and probably double the monthly costs for a couple of you to go to a Premiership football game these days.

But, I just don't have the time to watch all this TV to make sure I get what I feel is good value out of the subscription. I have to be employed to afford Sky and unemployed to have time to watch it all...

The bottom line is no-one is forced to pay for it, if you want the content (legally), that's the price because Sky have the rights, the same can be said about BT and their overpriced broadband so you get "free" sport.

Personally I don't think things like the Original, Variety and Family Bundles are worth the price charged, especially with things like Now TV coming in at 4.99 for similar content.

My discounts end soon and again I will give notice. I'll consider what they offer me (if anything), but will happily swap to a Freesat box for a one off cost. I have access to the content in "other ways" that I am desperate to see. Still, I don't begrudge anyone that wants to pay for Sky, it's personal choice and everyone has different priorities.

By the way, my current Sky bill is 45.45 which includes 50% off of TV for a year and 3 a month line rental for a year. I have Fibre and Sky Talk Unlimited so this would normally be 73.40 a month without discounts (74.40 after 1st September), and that's a price I'm not willing to pay.

Freesat would bring my monthly TV costs to nil (excluding Licence Fee, which was also excluded above), Plusnet Fibre with the same speeds etc. as I have now is 14.99 a month and they still do Line Rental Saver so that is the equivalent of 12.99 a month. I would drop unlimited calls as I have them on the mobiles so I'm left with 27.98 a month, a figure I can live with.
      dog-man likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

You are quite correct, no one is forced to purchase a Sky TV bundle.

More so now than ever before, there are a variety of alternative methods to get your fix of TV content (legally). Some methods are free (Freeview, Freesat, YouTube), others require a subscription to an alternative provider (BT, TalkTalk, VM, Amazon, Netflix).

Content has grown enormously over the years. The volume of channels is also growing each year. Unfortunately most of it is all repeats or just total rubbish. Of course if we didn't enjoy many of the repeated shows, then they wouldn't be there.

As for broadband packages, since the main providers insist that you have their telephone packages (except VM), their respective costs have to be considered. There are many other providers, but you will normally require BT's line rental. Again this has to be factored in too. Sky has a good price band for their LLU ADSL packages, but they are no longer the cheapest. As for Fibre, to date Sky has never been cheap.

We all have our reasons for choosing to subscribe to Sky and we all have different reasons for sticking with them.

I appreciate that finances will always factor into decisions, but at the same time I hope that quality of service is something that is considered too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      Hmmm, so it would now be 855 a year for sky tv. that is extortionate and would fund a very nice holiday for us each year.

I have been with sly since the very first days during the late 80's when they made a public statement live on television saying that they would never charge for viewing their channels.

I just need to finds the courage now to ring up and tell them to stuff the lot.
      No one would actually pay 855 though would they with offers/discounts.

Movies is the one I would consider anyone to look at alternatives as it is now overly expensive, as there really are many other better alternatives these days, like Netflix and amazon prime.
      gymno likes this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Current price for my legacy 'variety HD' package is 33.75.

That's 23.50 for variety & 10.25 for the old HD pack, which gives the F1 HD channel + HD for sports & movies if i were ever to subscribe.
      At present there's a 5.13 discount on there for half price HD so am only paying 28.62, but this 12 month offer ends next month.

Therefore without any offers it's 34.75 from next month, which basically means i'm getting the F1 HD channel for 1.75 per month.
      That's not bad.
      I've seen plenty of comments around the web by people wishing the F1 channel was standalone.

Looking at it as approximately 1 per day means i'm still fairly ok about pricing.
      22Mbps for 7.50 does help of course.

Had i been a sports fan, i might not be so happy though.

snooker147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Thanks

Strange....and look at this offer now: Sky 12MHPTV Plus Free Broadband July 14

The new customers get a better deal than existing customers which is the reason that many existing customers will be leaving sky because of price rises.

At the moment I am paying 31 a month for complete bundle will rise to 35.62 plus my HD Pack for sports & movies 5.25 (I think the HD Pack remain unchanged price) got 10 months left of my 12 months half price complete bundle which I took out with vouchercodes two months ago.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk
      Sky TV: sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

Hello All
      I think it must be Me because for the life of me I fail to understand the Sky attitude towards
      'Long Term Customers' now I love the choice that I get & I really would like to keep my
      package but its almost as if Sky ' Dont give a monkeys' if you remain with them or Not !!
      a friend of mine rang Sky when the increase was announced to ask if any 'Offers' would
      help reduce the bill as he was 'Long Term Sick' after an accident & was told very rudely
      if you want to Leave bye bye !! which to my mind is not a decent answer for the 'Long
      Term Customers' that have helped make Sky what it is Today.....!!

Just A Thought...............
      Last edited by wizard200; 05-07-14 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      No one would actually pay 855 though would they with offers/discounts.

Movies is the one I would consider anyone to look at alternatives as it is now overly expensive, as there really are many other better alternatives these days, like Netflix and amazon prime.
      Plenty of people do pay full price though, every year without fail (the inlaws being a case in point, never had a discount since they first signed up 12 years ago!), in the same way others never move bank, utilities, car insurance etc.

I like Netflix but you really need a bit of DNS jiggery pokery to get the best out of it. The content you can watch on the US and Canadian versions are far superior to the UK one and includes all of the shows I watch on Sky bar Game of Thrones.

I also think the problem some people have is they go with a "triple play" provider to get a bundle deal but there is something about looking at your bank statement and seeing 130 a month going to Sky/Virgin and forgetting you are paying for three things in total, two of which you would probably have to pay to someone come what may.
      dog-man likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      ...was told very rudely
      if you want to Leave bye bye !! which to my mind is not a decent answer for the 'Long
      Term Customers' that have helped make Sky what it is Today.....!!
      Whilst I appreciate that on Tuesday a lot of people would have been calling Sky, I'm sorry but that was a terrible response.

It would have been far more productive to discuss what may or may not be available with your friend's package and how your friend may wish to change things.

In the same situation I would have asked to speak to someone else, having taken the person's name first.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Sky told me that if i removed my 10.25 HD pack, as it's a separate thing i'll be left paying 23.50 for variety & not be moved to the current 27 price.

I'm also free to add or remove sports or movies at any time (without incurring the extra 5.25 for HD) & this also wouldn't affect the legacy price either.

Introductory offers are just that - offers & will come to an end.
      My 3.50 saving per month is permanent.
      So long term customers do get something.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast