Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Like Tree34Likes

Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by dog-man If fibre and the telephone service are going up in price later in the year and ...

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband UK Warns of Forthcoming TV Bundle Price Hike

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      If fibre and the telephone service are going up in price later in the year and there are alternatives that are reliable and better priced for the same service level, then I will also look at that and act accordingly.

I have no complaints at all with the sky phone service and fibre, but I won't pay more than I have to for what I accept as a certain level of required service.
      I've just cancelled everything. Not easy to do and the confusion afterwards is unbelievable as the different parts of Sky start issuing emails/letter.

I originally intended just cancelling Sky TV as I only wanted Sport and that was (despite Sky's claim) effectively over 55/month (Basic + HD have to be paid).

I intended asking for their very best offer on BB+LR (20 Mb/sec unlimited ADSL, no fibre here) after looking into alternatives. Elsewhere I could get identical total telecoms service for 166 if paying 12 months up front, Sky's best offer was 100 more so I decided to cancel that as well.

I then started to receive many emails/letters from Sky each one contradicting the others. The one that amused/annoyed me most was about BB+LN where Sky blatantly said 'Glad you're staying and as a reward we are putting your price up by 30/year'.

So I'm actually saving over 1,050/year by leaving and the cost I incur as a result are 166/year. Was Sky offering good value for the additional 900/year? I'll leave you to decide for yourselves but it wasn't for me. To put it into perspective that Sky surcharge of 900/year represents 6 years of BBC License Fee's - now that IS good value.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Arrgghhhhh...

I think that you may have done a classic mistake with the Broadband.

It is always better to sign up with the new provider than to cancel your Sky Broadband & landline. Any migration will then be handled by the new firm and Sky will be cancelled that way.

By cancelling Sky BB you can put a block on your line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Arrgghhhhh...

I think that you may have done a classic mistake with the Broadband.

It is always better to sign up with the new provider than to cancel your Sky Broadband & landline. Any migration will then be handled by the new firm and Sky will be cancelled that way.

By cancelling Sky BB you can put a block on your line.
      That is exactly what Sky recommended (ie place new order with other supplier) and that is what I did. However Sky in their infinite incompetence decided to cancel my BB+LR themselves. So they recommend one thing, which I do exactly as suggested and then implement exactly the opposite. I've talked with CSR's and they are as confused by what is happening as I am.

I can't wait to get out of this nightmare called Sky.

Thanks

Obviously whomever you spoke to has not no idea what they were doing.

I'd lodge a complaint if I were you and make it clear that any out-of-pocket expenses required so that you can get mobile broadband for any down period is on their expense account.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      That is exactly what Sky recommended (ie place new order with other supplier) and that is what I did. However Sky in their infinite incompetence decided to cancel my BB+LR themselves. So they recommend one thing, which I do exactly as suggested and then implement exactly the opposite. I've talked with CSR's and they are as confused by what is happening as I am.

I can't wait to get out of this nightmare called Sky.
      Have you checked yet whether you require a MAC and if so have you received one?
      If a MAC has been issued a cancellation request should not have been passed to Openreach, at least while the MAC (which lasts for 1 month) remains valid.
      It may however show as a future dated cancellation request on Sky's customer service system.

When you give the MAC to your future supplier ask them to check your line to ensure there are no tags which could prevent the order from proceeding.
      If the MAC should expire without being used I don't know what Sky's policy is. They could then proceed with the cancellation or they may simply remove the cancellation request. I wouldn't wait for the month to elapse in order to find out.

Thanks

Update - I've been in contact with my new BB supplier and they seem to know what they are doing. They confirm they are taking over from Sky on 28/7 and I shouldn't see any disruption of service. They also confirmed they didn't need a MAC. They had swiftly told Sky what they were doing the day after I placed my order. So, as I half expected, all problem lie with poor communications within the Sky CS infrastructure.

I rejoined Sky in 2007 and I've had no serious problems over the years so haven't needed to ask them to do anything substantive until I told them I was leaving. However that experience has been an eye opener on their CS standards! I'm fairly certain it isn't the individual employees who are the problem but their unwieldy organisation.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

...And from the little i've gathered over the past few years, more specifically the preposterously complicated system that call centre agents have to use.

I've had the feeling on more than one occasion that a tier1 agent really wanted to do something for me, only to detect a certain disappointment in their voice once they'd clicked a few buttons.

An IT overhaul could put sky at the top of the tree with regards to customer service.

Thanks

They do get quite a bit of training. They are provided with different systems to help them through, but I have to say that recently I've picked up a few threads where some have been struggling to do what I know has been done successfully for others.

I guess this is where the forums do come in useful as we can give people the necessary tips on who to talk to and what to specifically ask for.

I know that a few of you have been writing in to Sky to cancel different services, but the latest T&Cs state that this is no longer acceptable. However there is some dispute as to the validity of these for those who were Sky customers before they were last changed.

I appreciate that all businesses will want to try to keep their customers. There are a few members on this forum who work in Sky's retentions department, so they will have a different point of view and be familiar with what does and what does not work. I don't think that they would sanction what was an 8+ minute phone call where the person behaved like a professional moron and ignored the customer's request.
      Hedgehog1979 likes this.

The Realist is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

What are you suggesting

Professional moron and ignored the customer's request
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      What are you suggesting
      I was referring to this thread: Worst customer service call of ALL time

Reading a little more on the same story elsewhere, it appears that there is a lot of blame on Comcast, not the employee, on the Internet.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast