Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Skys Broadband NOW TV Entertainment Pass Sees 40 Percent Price Hike

This is a discussion on Skys Broadband NOW TV Entertainment Pass Sees 40 Percent Price Hike within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky Customers who pay 4.99 per month for the Entertainment Pass on Skys broadband-based NOW TV video streaming service, which ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Skys Broadband NOW TV Entertainment Pass Sees 40 Percent Price Hike

Sky
      Customers who pay 4.99 per month for the Entertainment Pass on Skys broadband-based NOW TV video streaming service, which includes live access to ten major channels like Sky One and Sky Atlantic, are about to be hit by a 40% price hike. The Sky Movies Pass will also suffer an increase.

The service, which has recently struggled due to a mix of annoying Rights Restrictions that prevent some TV shows from being aired (here) and problems with adapting to the capacity demands of customers when popular shows like Game of Thrones are being streamed (here), will now be hit by a price rise to 6.99 per month from 29th May 2014.

However some existing subscribers have noted that their 30th May payment is still predicted to be 4.99 (here), which suggests that the price hike will not immediately impact all existing users. Meanwhile subscribers to the Sky Movies Pass will see their prices rise from 8.99 to 9.99, although this is still less than the 15 they started out with (here).

No change for the 9.99 Daily Sports Pass though, which could do with a revamp (wed love to see a sport specific model).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Angel_Rex (01-05-14)

3. Advertisement
      Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

Re: Skys Broadband NOW TV Entertainment Pass Sees 40 Percent Price Hike

Might have to review my subscription then...... I already have netflix which isnt restricted to so few devices like now tv. only really have now tv for my kids to use.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      I already have netflix which isnt restricted to so few devices like now tv.
      I'm amazed at how unrestricted Netflix is. We use it here in the UK on two TVs a tablet and a PC. One of my kids lives in New York and he uses our account there with no problem at all
      Angel_Rex likes this.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Ho well another nail in the coffin for Sky the prices going the wrong way.with the like of Netflix lovefilm apple and more all cheaper then sky.With everyone short of readys Sky got this so wrong.

gingercol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moorhill Southampton
      Sky TV: Humax Freesat+
      Thanks

Netflix are also going to increase their price
      Netflix increasing prices - where would you draw the line? | AVForums
      So sky are not the only ones to increase their prices.

Sony Bravia KDL-42W653A , Sony BDV-N590 Home Cinema ,Humax Foxsat Pvr, NOW TV Box,
      Chromecast.

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by totalwar View Post
      Ho well another nail in the coffin for Sky the prices going the wrong way.with the like of Netflix lovefilm apple and more all cheaper then sky.With everyone short of readys Sky got this so wrong.
      Got it wrong ???

No they don't give a <Removed>, just greedy. Nearly a Billion profit this year.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 03-05-14 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Removed bad language

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Thanks

Sky Puts NOW TV Price Rise on Hold - Gives No Reason - ISPreview UK
      Skys broadband-based NOW TV video streaming service, which includes access to ten major live premium TV channels like Sky One and Sky Atlantic via the Entertainment Pass, has put their 29th May 2014 plans for a 40% price hike on hold.

The Internet streaming service had intended to increase the monthly cost of their Entertainment Pass from 4.99 to 6.99, while the Sky Movies Pass would have seen a smaller rise from 8.99 to 9.99. However a post by one of Skys Community Managers on the original price rise thread (here) reveals that this has now been suspended.

Now TV Statement

Hi Everyone,

Just want to let you know that the price rise is being put on hold. Entertainment Month Passes will continue to be 4.99 a month, and Sky Movies Month Passes will continue to be 8.99 per month.

Were in the process of updating the entire NOW TV site with this information, but it should all be correct very soon.

Thanks,

Jen-S

The service has struggled due to a mix of frustrating Rights Restrictions, which prevent some TV shows from being aired (here), and problems with adapting to the capacity demands of customers when popular shows like Game of Thrones are being streamed (here). But no reason has been given for the latest suspension.

gingercol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moorhill Southampton
      Sky TV: Humax Freesat+
      Thanks

Good news Scubbie Sky have a great package through NOW TV and it surprises me that more satellite subscribers have not jumped ship and brought one of the NOW TV boxes for a paltry 9.99.The PQ is actually good even 4od looks good.Apart from CEC and audio problems I have had it is still a great bit of kit. NOW TV services even priced 2 or 3 higher would still represent good value for money as you can have multi-room at fraction of the cost with no 12 month contracts.
      This is the reason I cancelled the satellite tv service with sky as with access to box sets and catch up NOW TV is perfect for me.

Sony Bravia KDL-42W653A , Sony BDV-N590 Home Cinema ,Humax Foxsat Pvr, NOW TV Box,
      Chromecast.

Thanks

Now TV is certainly filling a gap.

I guess the service can't be too bad as there are generally very few posts on this forum with people complaining about it not working.

As for picture and sound quality, Now TV only supports 720p. Personally I like 1080i a little more, but would prefer 1080p.

Sound wise many Satellite stations don't broadcast 5.1, which I find disappointing. Since all the films shown in cinemas tend to be recorded in 7.1 surround sound (or better), I can't see why they can't be shown in 7.1 on the TV either now.

I can't remember what sound quality Now TV supports, but if it is dropping out periodically, then things do need to be improved.

On the positive side, for those who travel a lot, Now TV is fantastic. You can install a suitable app on your Smart phone or tablet and take it with you around the UK. Sure some caravanners do take their Sky STBs with them. Each will have their merits.

Of course there is Sky Go and Sky Go Extra too...

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

nowtv is only stereo. The option for 2.0 & 5.1, neither matter. Into my denon amp the nowtv only outputs 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast