Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ App v4.8

This is a discussion on Sky+ App v4.8 within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Both the iOS and Android apps have been updated today to coincide with the beginning of the roll-out for the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sky+ App v4.8

Both the iOS and Android apps have been updated today to coincide with the beginning of the roll-out for the new R009 firmware.
      Sky+ App v4.8-2014-03-18-01.jpg

The new look of the Sky+ app means that you now have much of the same functionality on your tablet or phone as you do on your Sky+ HD STB with the new firmware.

There are some limitations, such as you can't download items from the Sky Store with the app. This needs to be completed on the box. However you can trigger downloads from the CUTV or Box Sets sections, provided that you link the app to your box when you are at home.

Sky+ App v4.8-2014-03-18-02.jpgSky+ App v4.8-2014-03-18-03.jpgSky+ App v4.8-2014-03-18-04.jpgSky+ App v4.8-2014-03-18-05.jpgSky+ App v4.8-2014-03-18-06.jpgSky+ App v4.8-2014-03-18-07.jpg

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ App v4.8

Had a play with the new app. Overall I like it and expect it to become more intuitive once I become familiar with the new firmware. Though I wish there was a way to hide the row of preview images at the top of the TV guide.

On the home page it's showing the large highlight image (currently Parkinson) with four dots but it does not appear to behave as a carousel.
      Also it's still telling me that I need to use my remote control to turn my Sky+ HD box on. I take it that when I get the R9 firmware this will change to allow me to to switch between on and standby using the app. alone?

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Had a play with the new app. Overall I like it and expect it to become more intuitive once I become familiar with the new firmware. Though I wish there was a way to hide the row of preview images at the top of the TV guide.

On the home page it's showing the large highlight image (currently Parkinson) with four dots but it does not appear to behave as a carousel.
      Also it's still telling me that I need to use my remote control to turn my Sky+ HD box on. I take it that when I get the R9 firmware this will change to allow me to to switch between on and standby using the app. alone?
      The highlights is back due to popular demand.
      I'm not a fan of that either.
      The carousel you mention works for me, using a swipe.

The Backup, Select and Standby will only be there when it syncs with the R9 software.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

seawright (18-03-14)

Ryster092 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Don't suppose there's any sign of apps for platforms other than iOS and "some" Android, is there? (ie. Windows Phone, Windows 8/RT).

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Thanks

Sky have no plans for Win8, WinPhone8 or Xbox One. So it looks like Microsoft is off of Sky's radar Even though there are tools out there that can create WinPhone8, iOS & Android apps in parallel. I know this because a software house I beta for is developing their app with such a tool.

Thanks

If you are good at writing an app in Linux you might be able to create such a tool for yourself.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Raycopeland is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky+ App v4.8

Hi all

Don't suppose anyone knows how I go about getting my app to turn off and on my sky box as stated in the app I need some software to get this working would that be needing to wait until my skybox updates or doing overhead ? Thanks ray
      Last edited by Raycopeland; 18-03-14 at 10:48 PM.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raycopeland View Post
      Hi all

Don't suppose anyone knows how I go about getting my app to turn off and on my sky box as stated in the app I need some software to get this working would that be needing to wait until my skybox updates or doing overhead ? Thanks ray
      See reply to your 2nd post.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Raycopeland (18-03-14)

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

One think for me that is a wasted tab in the new Home page is 'Best of On Demand'
      Cannot see anytime I would be using that.
      Had only a small number in there, but its early days. If you need that, the better option is using Featured or Most Popular under each Channel in Catch Up.
      Suppose at least they didn't add showcase, that really is a waste of space and effort.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raycopeland View Post
      Hi all

Sorry, as explained above you do need the new firmware (R009) in order to be able to power on/off your STB with the app.

R009 is now rolling out to everyone and should be on your Sky+ HD STB sometime over the next two months. Of course the Pace, Samsung and Amstrad DRX780 boxes may be a little longer to complete, but two months is a reasonable window.

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      One think for me that is a wasted tab in the new Home page is 'Best of On Demand'
      Cannot see anytime I would be using that.
      Had only a small number in there, but its early days. If you need that, the better option is using Featured or Most Popular under each Channel in Catch Up.
      Suppose at least they didn't add showcase, that really is a waste of space and effort.
      Ok not everyone likes the Showcase section, but it does carry various items such as the premier episode of a new series. Right now it has a documentary about Prince Harry and those whom he went with to the South Pole. Now you personally might not be a Royalist, but there are plenty out there who are.

Another couple of items on there are about the Game of Thrones. This is a series which has been very popular. Sure The Hunger Games is on there, for which you need to subscribe to Sky Movies, but so too is the new film 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' which is also quite popular.

The contents of the Showcase are now tailored more towards your subscription than ever before. In my case this means that I don't have any sports content but I do have a few pages of films.

I don't personally visit this section frequently but I have on occasions dipped in to see what is available.

Do remember too that often the items listed in the Showcase section are already available on your box. This means that you don't need to download it first. Whilst you and I may have a good broadband connection, there are many out there who do not.

As I mentioned in another post, the way people use their Sky STBs varies hugely. We are all very different and the way we now watch TV varies just as much.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Raycopeland (19-03-14)