Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree5Likes

Pirated Sky TV sold for 10 a month

This is a discussion on Pirated Sky TV sold for 10 a month within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I appreciate that you may be regarding 'local' networks in a different manner to how we are referring to them. ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Pirated Sky TV sold for 10 a month

I appreciate that you may be regarding 'local' networks in a different manner to how we are referring to them.

Our land mass is considerably less than where you are and some of the States are much larger than the combined mass of the UK.

Our regional TV coverage differs mostly for local news now. It used to be a lot more different, but ITV got their heads together and the only real differences, other than advertising, are with UTV (Ireland) and STV (Scotland) whose programming will differ a little more than the rest of the UK's ITV coverage. BBC has different versions for each area, but again England gets one version, with Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland each getting their own respective versions of BBC1 and BBC2.

Other than a handful of small local broadcasters, all the other channels broadcast the same content across the whole of the UK (Ch4 and Ch5 have different advertising versions again though).

Deal or No Deal is a syndication and was good today (Spoiler alert! News below pictures). Our presenter is Noel Edmunds. Strangely he is 7 years older than Howie Mandell and has a full head of hair and trimmed beard. Here are some pictures of him over the years from 1970s to a couple of years ago on the programme. The pic with him holding the red phone was a promo from 'Swap Shop'.

What happened today: Someone one the 250,000 and turned down the opportunity to double it.

We too get a lot of these so-called reality shows. Again most of these are syndicated so I a sure that you will have your wn version over there. Big Brother and I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here are two of the bigger ones.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I appreciate that you may be regarding 'local' networks in a different manner to how we are referring to them.
      I may have trying to equate them in a similar fashion to how the national networks work over there compared to what most people call 'local' networks. Sometimes I think I've got something explained and I don't. I'd figured out the regional variations of BBC1 and how they all largely show the same thing except for version for Scotland/Wales/etc. In fact, part of the reason I even got interested in UK TV was solely the differences in how the system worked as compared to ours. You've got different regions, cluster of transmitters, relay transmitters; there was quite a lot to take in and I was able to find all sorts of lists the covered the old channel assignments and a wealth of new information on how your DTT works.

Let me see if I can explain this.

I guess since our entire broadcast system was built up around experimental broadcasts and later people who were looking to make money from it in some form; our system was never really as "together" as it is over there. I'm sure size has something to do with it...but I think it was largely that by the time the government started regulating and setting forms of radio; they didn't want to take over. I quite honestly don't know the real reason why BBC was created and controlled media (for a while) where our system was strictly private-sector commercial broadcasting.

We've got basically four nationwide networks; NBC, Fox, ABC, and CBS. NBC is the oldest and started on radio, CBS a couple years after NBC, ABC was formed because NBC was actually running two radio networks running different selections of programming. There's a long complex history of radio networks in the 30s and 40s over here.

Anyway, skipping the history of networks that have come and gone...for years we were dominated by the three main networks; prior to that any and all TV stations were strictly independent. TV networks didn't really take off till the 40s when the ability to relay signals via coaxial and microwave networks came about. But, essentially, broadcasters are considered "local". They have one tower, they're licensed to put out so much power...and their reach is limited to that. Occasionally a station will have a "translator", or low-power relay to cover a community. Those are rarely owned by the station itself and are owned by a community. The typical range of a TV transmitter here can be anywhere from just a couple miles to close to 50 or 60 depending on the power output. Networks provide content to their affiliate stations, though stations still fill in with syndicated programming. Prime-time schedules are generally universal. Most affiliates for the big networks have their own news departments as well; so they're generally regarded as local networks informally..mostly to make a distinction between "cable" channels.

What happened today: Someone one the 250,000 and turned down the opportunity to double it.
      Haha. I really never watched that show, but I dated a woman who loved to watch it. As a result, I wound up forming a certain love of watching people make stupid decisions over large amounts of money. I'll have to look for it when I'm on the Sky box.

We too get a lot of these so-called reality shows. Again most of these are syndicated so I a sure that you will have your wn version over there. Big Brother and I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here are two of the bigger ones.
      Yup. CBS still produces an american version of Big Brother, and I think one of our premium movie channels airs an uncensored "Big Brother After Dark" when it's going on. I remember seeing it when it first hit over here in 2000, but I didn't watch it much. I'm A Celebrity kind of flopped over here. I honestly don't watch many game-shows period.

Thanks

'Local' stations are a little different here than what you have then.

Essentially a TV region is governed by the transmitter network.

I was going to write a longer post describing it all, but this site does it much better:

TV transmitter regions - overview map | ukfree.tv - 11 years of independent, free digital TV advice

Where I live I get BBC1 South, which extends as far as Weymouth and Dorchester in the West, Bicester and Oxford in the North (although they also get a slight variation known as BBC1 Oxford) and Brighton in the East (although Brighton was switched to BBC1 South East).

My ITV region is ITV Meridian. It doesn't cover Oxford, but does extend to cover Dover and Margate in the East. However there are 4 different localised advertising parts within the Meridian area and we can each get more localised news and weather, so I get a different news report to viewers in Kent.

Messy? Yep!

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I was going to write a longer post describing it all, but this site does it much better:

It does. I found that last week when I was trying to figure it all out and it wasn't long before I actually understood exactly how the system was operated...I guess my attempts at trying to equate the two systems on some level just doesn't work. Yes, Local stations are different over here than over there, in fact; I wouldn't consider you guys to have any "local" channels due to having much of the same thing except regional news. When you take in to account each broadcaster here generally runs their own news and stations are actually competing against each other on the news front...they're almost known for news more so than being a network affiliate. The big networks run some pretty in-depth news on a national level...but the local guys tend to have the same production level. As you mentioned, you guys are smaller...so one of our "local markets" may be as big as a region over there. I guess the biggest difference is where I've seen maybe a 15 minute regional news segment over there; our local news guys will run for 4 hours or so in the mornings, then again for two hours in the evening and an hour or so right before midnight. I probably should have cited that as the reason we call them 'locals'.

Essentially a TV region is governed by the transmitter network

Yeah, we don't have that at all. Although I must say they must be some medium-to-low power transmitters with the sheer number of ones I've noticed. OF course, you guys also run your DTT in an entirely different way with one entity essentially owning and operating the transmitters and "leasing" multiplexes to other people (who I'm sure can further sub-lease a small setction of bandwidth). Ours is bascailly like the analog system went digital; each broadcaster can run their own mux, but there's no assurance you're going to pick up every channel. I can easily drive 20 miles west and be outside of the reception range for Washington DC channels and be in an "Aerial wasteland" where you will pick *nothing* up. If anything, our digital switchover cut off about 18% of the population who relied on over-the-air broadcasts who were in fringe areas.

Our big-four networks that are carried over-the-air don't have any kind of regionalization except for time zones; since we span 4 and there's 3 hours between the east and west coasts. So the two eastern time-zones will have one feed; and the two westerns will get a similar but time shifted feed. Any kind of "localization" of adverts comes from the 'local broadcaster'. Our cable channels sometimes have a time-shift what we call "west" feeds; and they were largely popular in early satellite among people on the west coast purely as a novelty, though many enjoyed being able to watch a later showing on a movie channel. These are actually feeds destined for west-coast subscribers and for a while were only available on satellite outside of the west coast. My fibre/cable system however carries west-coast feeds of all the movie channels and I think anymore both east and west coast feeds of movie channels are standard everywhere.

Messy? Yep!

I mean, essentially take your system and make it work in reverse. One transmitter per station per region all showing slightly different content except for a similar network feed every evening. I actually have very little problem understanding your system but all the difficulty in the world trying to explain ours. If anything I'd say we were the messy ones.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Wow someone give me the phone number quick.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Personally most of the channels should be FTA anyway since they're absolutely filled with ads, which arguably must be a large chunk of their revenue.
      joe pineapples and Scubbie like this.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

Movies on the Movies Channel do not have adverts, but they sure make up for it before and after each film.
      andrewjr likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Movies on the Movies Channel do not have adverts, but they sure make up for it before and after each film.
      Even when I had Sky Movies I don't think I really watched the "Channels" at least not since they put all the movies on the On-Demand which is a lot more convenient.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Even when I had Sky Movies I don't think I really watched the "Channels" at least not since they put all the movies on the On-Demand which is a lot more convenient.
      This is true. I often schedule a recording of a film or download it rather than wait for a specific start time.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

I can't remember ever watching a film 'live', always record or download, mainly from Showcase.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123