Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

First look: Sky gives glimpse into its new EPG

This is a discussion on First look: Sky gives glimpse into its new EPG within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by seawright Sky's marketing model is effectively hire purchase. While I have nothing against this their billing should ...

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: First look: Sky gives glimpse into its new EPG

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Sky's marketing model is effectively hire purchase. While I have nothing against this their billing should be more transparent and show cost of box plus interest and how much is still owing on each monthly bill. then, once the box is paid for, the subscription should be reduced to the true cost of providing the service.
      No, it's a free box as an incentive to sign up. I'm sure the accountants will include a write-off figure in their calculations but there is no option for existing subscribers to take out a new contract after 12/18/24 months. As Isitme says, the alternative is the VM model that will factor in a similar cost but means you never get to keep your equipment should you leave.

I've managed to get a few upgrades in my time with Sky by contacting the exec office. The last one was a refurbished Sky Hub for free in return for a new 12 month contract. They are not good at giving existing customers incentives but equally if you don't ask you don't get!

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I finally got my 2TB box on order for 49! Phoned Sky to discuss my subscription and ended up talking about my knackered old Sky box as well. The girl said well I can upgrade your box to the new 2TB box for 49! But like a donut I hesitated and said I would think about it and ring back because I am a bit skint at the moment! Well I did ring back spoke to someone else who said 'No I can't have it for 49 it's 149!! :-(
      So got a bit annoyed! And the girl said she would find the original person I spoke to, turned out she worked in retentions and was able to offer the box for 49!! :-) got there in the end just a shame they can't be a bit more consistent with there offers!!

dgmckenzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can't torrent with Sky BB :-(

Although Usenet had it so I got it that way. Will get the BluRay as a belated Christmas present.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgmckenzie View Post

Don't tell Scubbie that, she will wonder where those hundreds of Gbs she downloads each month are coming from.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Following various court actions Sky has blocked direct links the main torrent sites. However only their direct addresses are blocked.

There are ways and means of circumventing the blocking which really makes the whole purpose of blocking them in the first place a total waste of money for everyone concerned.

Google is your friend .
      LiamMc03 likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      One of the biggest issues IMHO with Sky is that there is no simplified 'upgrade path' every few years for all their customers.

I am not sure how VM handles things, since they continue to own their STBs, but could someone confirm if they offered free STBs to ALL their customers when they introduced the new Tivo?

I wonder how people would react to a fee of say 3-5 per month per STB were added to your Sky bill to cover the cost of a box upgrade say every 4 or 5 years?
      Was this a leading question?

Anyway no-one answered it:
      For existing customers to upgrade to TIVO it is/was 49 for the box plus 49 to get it installed.
      All for a box they would take back if you cancelled.

Puts Sky in a better light perhaps.

They do tend to drop one or the other charge for existing customers to upgrade to their first TIVO box more recently but additional TIVO boxes are still charged for both, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dgmckenzie View Post

Although Usenet had it so I got it that way. Will get the BluRay as a belated Christmas present.
      My torrents run fine as long as protocol encryption is enabled. I always have it set as forced for incoming connections just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Sky's marketing model is effectively hire purchase. While I have nothing against this their billing should be more transparent and show cost of box plus interest and how much is still owing on each monthly bill. then, once the box is paid for, the subscription should be reduced to the true cost of providing the service.
      This would also enable those who wished to pay for the box up front to pay a flat subscription from day one.

At the same time Sky Protect should be brought in house. It could still be underwritten by Domestic & General Insurance PLC but should be administered by Sky and show up on the Sky bill for those wishing to avail themselves of the service.
      Sky don't charge for their boxes above any up-front charges the customer pays. They used to charge "equipment clawback" charges for customers breaking contracts but they don't do this anymore - they must have lost some court cases I presume.
      So equipment costs on bills aren't going to happen.

For Sky to include the Service Protect, or similar services, as part of a subscription package they would need to train all of their advisors up to Financial Conduct Authority quality levels as these products are covered by the Financial Conduct Authority guidlines since they are insurance products. These kind of products would mean that all calls would need to be scripted which Sky (and advisors, and customers?) don't like. So Sky don't sell these products so that advisors can have open and honest discussions with customers about their needs.

If they want these products they can have a scripted conversation with a Domestic & General advisor.

On the subject of the new EPG it looks like a backward step unless, like the previous "quick links", there is an option to remove them.
      Last edited by bubblegun; 17-02-14 at 01:36 AM.

Smir is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01233
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 x3
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

that does look good, any idea how you get into there beta?

20/10/2013 Fibre Order
      17/12/2013 Fibre Installation Date
      28/01/2014 Fibre Pro Upgrade

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smir View Post
      that does look good, any idea how you get into there beta?
      Sky run various beta groups from time to time.

About 2 years ago they opened one up for the DRX89x STBs. A little later they opened up another for the Pace, Samsung and DRX780 STBs. Sky has also run betas for various other products.

Sometimes they post a message on their forum, which we will normally cross-post here, other times it is by invite.

Beta testing sounds great as you get to see their new products earlier than everyone else, but it does require some commitment. Regular feedback, for example, is needed so that they know how things are progressing. Things also go wrong. Sometimes a firmware is unstable and will cause the item to crash or you can lose some recordings. It is a testing ground and as such things like this are to be expected.

For now keep your eyes open and hopefully something new will be made available soon.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Well I have the new epg - the program guide looks awful!
      The separation between items is IMO not clear enough.

I dont know what else there is in the new epg, is there some info on the new features anywhere?

Thanks

There most certainly is...

R009 EPG for the Sky+ HD STBs

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast