Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

First look: Sky gives glimpse into its new EPG

This is a discussion on First look: Sky gives glimpse into its new EPG within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Don't VM just 'loan' their devices to their customers. Unlike Sky who sell the devices which then become the users ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Re: First look: Sky gives glimpse into its new EPG

Don't VM just 'loan' their devices to their customers. Unlike Sky who sell the devices which then become the users property.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky's marketing model is effectively hire purchase. While I have nothing against this their billing should be more transparent and show cost of box plus interest and how much is still owing on each monthly bill. then, once the box is paid for, the subscription should be reduced to the true cost of providing the service.
      This would also enable those who wished to pay for the box up front to pay a flat subscription from day one.

At the same time Sky Protect should be brought in house. It could still be underwritten by Domestic & General Insurance PLC but should be administered by Sky and show up on the Sky bill for those wishing to avail themselves of the service.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had this with my Mum last year! She has been with Sky for 12 years and had the very first Sky+ box when Sky+ first came out which was knackered noisy fans noisy hard drive that kept crashing and knackered remote. She wanted to switch her phone to Sky for the free international calls. When I rang Sky to order I said as part of the deal i.e. taking extra services I want the Sky+ box replaced with a new or refurb one! They were insistent they couldn't do that and it would be 250 for a new box unless she took the HD subscription, which I new was no good for my Mum as she is as blind as a bat and can't see the difference between HD and SD! After 4 hours on the phone and threatening a move to Virgin, they eventually said she would have to take the HD subscription to get the new box but that they would credit her account with 120 to cover the HD subscription for the first year, then I could cancel the HD subs after 12 months and keep the box! What a ball ache to sort out. The move to Virgin would have happened if my Mum hadn't been so insistent she didn't want new cables run round the house!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Mmmm... Purchase a Sky STB in a similar way to the purchase of a Mobile phone...

Lets look at that for one moment. This is what you currently get with O2:

iPhone 5c.

Purchase price from 0.00 to 529.99

Once you pick your tariff, you are then asked how much you wish to pay towards the phone (0.00, 90 or 529.99). You now pay an additional fee of either 20.00, 15.00 or 0.00 per month for the next 24 months.

Of course if things go wrong, you should expect them to repair or replace the phone for free. At least this is what Vodafone do.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Thanks

Just ignore O2, they do have have a stupidly expensive and complicated system though unlike all the other networks.

NickS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is a good chance the new EPG will not apply to the older boxes, Pace, Samsung and the old Amstrad. I don't think the boxes are powerful enough for the new features. Look out for Sky offering to replace the old boxes free or at a discount.
      We can but hope! Exactly what I thought when I was offered a free new router. I've got one of the early Pace boxes and can only record 30 hours HD so keep hoping for a cheap upgrade. Incidentally it is one of the boxes they tried to replace (with a refurb) about 4 years ago. Still going strong!

dgmckenzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well, I've paid ~ 250 for each of the boxes I got from Sky; Analog, Digital then Sky+HD. All I got a discount on what the install and the last one was crap.

My Samsung usual dies when they send out an update, I came back from Christmas holidays and nothing had recorded as the box must have died around 8th December. No Doctor Who :-(

Thanks

Among all the other issues I have heard, I hadn't heard of the Samsung STB completely locking up after the update.

Is the STB's hard drive pretty full?

As for Dr Who...

The Mini Episode (The Night of the Doctor) is still available on BBC iPlayer. Sadly The 50th Anniversay episode The Day of The Doctor and Christmas special are not available.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

dgmckenzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The only recording on it was the 50th Anniversary Doctor Who and I had cleared out the deleted programs to get ready for Christmas.

The box is now sitting at 66% which is around 16hrs worth of HD, it gets full at around 30hrs approx.

Thanks

I've just checked Amazon and it looks like the last Christmas special is available on Blu-ray or DVD. 9.99 for the DVD or 16.75 for the Blu-ray.

The alternatives are to wait until the repeat (often around Easter) or to download the torrent.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast