Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

UK ISP Sky Broadband Stops Offering Line Rental Saver Discount

This is a discussion on UK ISP Sky Broadband Stops Offering Line Rental Saver Discount within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; UK ISP Sky Broadband Stops Offering Line Rental Saver Discount - ISPreview UK Customers might now have one less reason ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

UK ISP Sky Broadband Stops Offering Line Rental Saver Discount - ISPreview UK
      Customers might now have one less reason to sign-up with Sky Broadband (BSkyB) after the operator quietly withdraw their pre-paid Line Rental Saver service, which reduced the cost of renting a fixed telephone line to the equivalent of £9.95 per month when paying 12 months in advance (£119.40).

Skyís standard line rental fee is currently £15.40 per month and thus the attraction of pre-paying, in order to save a significant amount of money over the year, is often seen as a strong incentive to stay with a provider rather than move.

A spokesperson for Sky confirmed to ISPreview.co.uk that the upfront line rental service had been withdrawn on 19th December 2013 and that the development would not affect anybody who has taken the offer prior to this date. Unfortunately Sky did not explain why it had taken such action or whether the offer would return.

Digging deeper, ISPreview.co.uk discovered some comments on Skyís forum which suggest that the service might have been withdrawn due to unspecified ďtechnical problemsĒ with their billing or account management systems. This is something that has afflicted Sky products once or twice before and so would not be totally unexpected.

But the situation has left Sky at somewhat of a competitive disadvantage. Most of the other big broadband ISPs are still offering a discount for upfront line rental and few consumers can ignore the £3-£5 a month saving on their bills. Itís hardly ideal when youíre also in the midst of a bare knuckle fight with BT and its free TV sport content.

NOTE: Sky do have some share-unbundled (SMPF) lines so itís still possible to take their broadband without using Sky Line Rental, though some other offers and discounts may not be available to you.
      Comment: Members of this forum did post about this last month

2. Advertisement
      BroadbandKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Re: UK ISP Sky Broadband Stops Offering Line Rental Saver Discount

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      UK ISP Sky Broadband Stops Offering Line Rental Saver Discount - ISPreview UK

Comment: Members of this forum did post about this last month
      It was also not £119.40 for the year BUT sky had increased this around the Sep/Oct time to £140.40.

I hope that they are not offering the upfront yearly line rental because they are upgrading their account systems and it will be back soon!

jimroy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pendleton
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

I'm due to renew mine next month and when I called them to raise my concerns at the news was told that they're planning to re-introduce it again in April for new and existing customers. I will call them again about it. In the meantime I've re-contracted my fibre broadband for another 12 months at half price and will just have to swallow the equivalent of £5.45 a month increase in line rental until then. Here's hoping.

Thanks

There were a lot of members complaining about renewing the annual line rental at the end of last year. Apparently Sky's systems were unable to cope with it correctly.

What I am hoping, provided what you say is true about the April date, is that the systems will have been updated to correctly cope with the renewal after the year is up.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

jimroy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pendleton
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB box
      Thanks

The update on the article from ISPreview doesn't sound promising. But who knows, I'll remain hopeful and call them in April. I should point out where reliability of the adviser I spoke with is concerned, that I was also to be sent a new sr102 hub as part of my re-contracting. To date I have received two previous sr101's which I have had to send back. They did credit me back £30 for my trouble as a gesture of good will however. Take that as you will.

'UPDATE 1:25pm
      Sky has told ISPreview.co.uk that it has “no plans at present” to bring the discount back.'

Thanks

It is normal for Sky not to say anything about prices in the future, unless it is the annual rate change for TV packages or Line Rental.

Any deal or offers are normally announced when they are launched and I would consider the pre-payment of the line rental to be a offer.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

mikelane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pinner
      Router: Sagem SR102
      Thanks

I rang up to cancel everything with Sky today and one of my reasons was the withdrawal of the up-front payment (my previous one ran out today). The lady told me that Sky were probably going to reintroduce this next week but she was not sure of the exact day. The price would be more than what I had previously paid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Sure if Sky were to reintroduce it, it would be more as there was a price rise last November/December.

As for it returning next week...

UK ISP Sky Broadband Stops Offering Line Rental Saver Discount-bull.jpg

I'll believe it when I see it
      jayhab, gymno, Max Skylon and 1 others like this.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would consider the pre-payment of the line rental to be a offer.
      It was an offer and that is where the problem lay. A twelve month free line rental offer was applied to the account in exchange for a lump sum payment. Timely renewal was not possible as Bubblegun had already explained the offer had to have expired and been removed from the account (a process which takes 24 hours) before it could be re-applied.

Clearly Sky had to do something about this but their action brings to mind the saying about shooting ones self in the foot.

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I think they will be the losers if they do not reintroduce it , as most other providers offer it. I for one will be looking at what else is available when my currant 12month line rentail comes to and end.

Mickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast