Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Like Tree5Likes

New Wireless Boosters from Sky

This is a discussion on New Wireless Boosters from Sky within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Picking the best channel is a mixture of various things. We tend to advise sticking with channels 1, 6 or ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: New Wireless Boosters from Sky

Picking the best channel is a mixture of various things.

We tend to advise sticking with channels 1, 6 or 11 at first, but also have 13 available. These offer the friendliest answer as their respective broadcasts overlap the least, if at all.

Sometimes there is a device which also works on the 2.4GHz frequencies, wiping out some of them, even though no one nearby appears to be using them. This means that occasionally you have to use the other channels (i.e. 2, 3, 4, 5, 7,8, 9, 10 & 12). Things get hard too now as the apps on the phones do not always show the spectrum coverage by a router which is working at say 300mbps. Such a router on channel 1 would also take up to channel 8, which leaves 11 clear for someone else.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

1, 6, and 11 are the only three wifi channels that don't overlap; they are also the most crowded overpopulated channels. 13 is not available here, although that would still overlap a bit with 11.

Most devices that operate in the 2.4 ghz range generally do so in a manner that's dreadful to wifi. 2.4ghz cordless phones are a prime example...and your microwave is perfectly capable of drowning out the entire 2.4ghz band when the seals start to go.

But if you tell everyone to use 1, 6 or 11...then you're going to have *all* your power focused on those channels and at some point, no one will be able to use them. You have to remember, you only get a usable signal when you can hear through the noise on the other channel. IF you have 30 or 40 wifi points using the same channel, they will just appear as noise to each other and no one will cut through. But one thing you need to consider, at least for wifi stability; most of your power is focused on the main carrier; the sidebands are what extend out from the main channel. So, if you have a wifi on one...wifi on six...you could throw yours on 3 or 4, keep your carrier power where it's strongest and greatly improve stability.

As far as which is the best method; I generally look at the signal strengths where my client is going to be sitting. I do this becuase the "auto-channel" selection mode on routers is only going to take in to account what reception is like at the router and not the other places in your house.

We tend to advise sticking with channels 1, 6 or 11 at first

As well as every manufacturer, and ISP, and tech person out there. The problem is this doesn't take in to account that everyone else out there is running their WIFI on those same three channels. This is going to cause *everyone* to slow down. Your neighbors wifi just isn't causing problems for you, but yours is going to cause problems for them.

But really, to do it proper; you have to look at the wifi signal in three different directions; reception where you want it, reception where you can put the repeater, and the reception of the repeater at the router itself. The "auto-setting" isn't very intelligent and looks for the least crowded channel *at the router*, it's unable to take in to account reception at the other end of the house, which could be overpowering your signal and causing you not to connect.

It's also a good idea to optimize as best as possible somehow with these repeaters since they essentially flip the radios on and off; getting, at best, 50% efficiency and speed.

Like I said, I spent two years studying radio theory when I was going in to radio engineering....I look at this from probably the most complicated manner as possible.

Things get hard too now as the apps on the phones do not always show the spectrum coverage by a router which is working at say 300mbps

The problem with 300mbps wireless-N is they use two data streams for a MIMO configuration. My AP, for example, is using channels 1 and 5 for it's 300mbps signal; it'll default to 150mbps on channel 1 if you don't have MIMO or run wireless-G; but even then...that degrades network performance for everyone. The reason phones/tablets fail to show a 300mhz AP using 40mhz (two wifi channels) is because they don't support MIMO and therefore only register on one channel. Neither of my android devices support MIMO on wireless-N, in fact they both only support up to 65mbps connection rates. So they won't show the channel 5 traffic being taken up; the laptop on the other hand does since it's a MIMO capable card.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Yes I know Ch.13 overlaps Ch.11, but half of it is clear of anything else. Easch individual case is different though and it is just as important to be aware that different answers may be required for each thread.

Please don't ask me the specific technical detail, but Sky introduced a new way for the 'Auto' channel option to work with the SR101. They then copied it to the Sagem 2504N and the new SR102.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

winnywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Check this out this is a test while walking down the street.

If it aint broke take it apart, it soon will be.

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Since there are 13 2.4Ghz channels available in the UK, I've always suggested people use channels 1,5,9 or 13.
      4 usable channels with minimal overlap. I simply don't understand why people here still use 1,6,or 11.
      Does the minimal overlap really cause that much of a problem ?
      Has anyone tried the Airties 4400 firmware on the Sky Wireless booster ?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
      As is it won't load. I did think of splicing the Airties payload onto the Sky headers but have to get all the CRCs correct and maybe signatures. I also don't want to brick it as the one I have is only on loan.

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
      Since there are 13 2.4Ghz channels available in the UK, I've always suggested people use channels 1,5,9 or 13.
      4 usable channels with minimal overlap. I simply don't understand why people here still use 1,6,or 11.
      Does the minimal overlap really cause that much of a problem ?
      I've been doing some major research on this subject. Apparently, it boils down to if you're using wireless-n or not.

Now, a WiFi signal has a bandwidth of 22mhz; 11mhz from each carrier center. WiFi channels are 5mhz apart...meaning two channels overlap in the critical 22mhz of the signal. Old wifi technology was unable to do adjacent channel rejection for signals within that main 22mhz. The signal actually carries on for much farther on each side; but every 11mhz the power factor is reduced...meaning those signals are generally too weak to cause issues. 1, 6 and 11 are the only channels where the broadcasts will not overlap. As a general rule of thumb among RF engineers; you don't want channels to overlap. Period. 1, 5, 9 and 13 is enough of an overlap to cause issues unless they're spaced pretty far apart and staggerd...maybe 1, 9, 5, 13 in that order. 1, 6, 11 are full orthogonal channels, and the only way you get three at once. Any other combination will only give you two empty channels.

With 802.11b, basically; running overlapping channels cause performance problems because the router is unable to tell the difference between a client signal and the wifi running 5 mhz higher; and therefore the wifi point will always think the channel is busy and can't send data. The signals don't get crossed as much as the devices get very confused and refuse to transmit. With 802.11b, it's better to have a wifi point located on the same channel than a different one.

Wireless-g and N use OFDM. Basically with OFDM, the signal is spread out among is spectrum as a bunch of sub-carriers. The carriers are arranged in such a way that other unwanted signals can rejected. For example, the spacing of carriers used for channel 1 might be different than channel 2, allowing those frequencies to mingle and not cause issues. Wireless-G didn't handle things as well as promised; wireless-N on the other hand was designed from the ground up to deal with ACI.

It's still not a *great* idea to have wifi channels too close; though with wireless-N is a lot more forgiving on it. Although, if you're right next to another wifi point on a different channel; you will still have issues since the "bleed-over" will still overpower the target signal. They have minimal distances recommended for distance between base stations to prevent problems.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345