Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

New Wireless Boosters from Sky

This is a discussion on New Wireless Boosters from Sky within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; It cannot retransmit it on the same channel, that's not technically possible In which case these devices do the impossible, ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New Wireless Boosters from Sky

It cannot retransmit it on the same channel, that's not technically possible
      In which case these devices do the impossible, though not very well. They do extend the range but due to interference they also create dead spots where acceptable coverage previously existed.Sky provided routers are locked down but have been around long enough for workarounds to be found though they didn't actively support third party routers. This policy appears to be changing due in part to recent aquisitions where subscribers are being allowed to use their existing router. You only have to browse this site to find which routers are compatible with Sky's broadband either as a replacement for the supplied router or for use in addition to that supplied. Double NAT can present a problem especially where remote access to the LAN is required. Either because of this or just to keep things simple in the majority of cases all devices are operated on the same sub-net so that secondary routers are really only acting as network switches. I'm just waiting for IP version 6 to become mainstream to see what new problems it causes.

2. Advertisement
      dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

In which case these devices do the impossible, though not very well. They do extend the range but due to interference they also create dead spots where acceptable coverage previously existed.

Which is why you don't transmit on the same wifi channels. I'm surprised the thing is capable of getting a signal from the main router without being overloaded by it's own transmitter. But if it is...the dead zones are likely caused by the two signals canceling in phase resulting in no reception.

secondary routers are really only acting as network switches.

This is what I meant. Most third party routers can have features disabled, like firewall, dhcp, and nat functions; which basically turns them in to a basic switch with ap capabilities. Double NAT is never a good idea; though I have worked through it. I'd be more apt to disable the wireless in the sky router (if possible) and use a different wireless technology. My last DSL modem didn't have any routing, just a simple ethernet port. Most of the cable modems I've seen have been the same way; though most of those have a gateway function causing double NAT. I can do so with my FTTH service as well...but it makes it complicated for the EPG and on-demand to work with the STBs if I don't provide a return IP path on the MoCA network.

I'm just waiting for IP version 6 to become mainstream to see what new problems it causes.

In theory it should eliminate the need for NAT entirely, as there would be enough available IP's for each individual computer. I should be reading up on all the exact details...but I haven't. It doesn't have to make a mess of things, but it's possible provider implementation will.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I another thread on this Booster someone posted a link to the manufacturer's website with their own product which works in much the same way. This is that page:

Air 4400

Sky has basically got them to make a new case and change the GUI to Sky's own style.

I have had a quick look on Amazon.com and eBay.com but I couldn't find any listings for one. There may be another site which does stock them in the US.

I don't have a large enough home to really test the device fully but it did work fine when I checked it out.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

Sky has basically got them to make a new case and change the GUI to Sky's own style.
      Exactly the same as they did with the original DG834GT, only the case logos are different.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

cjm1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYBAT Batley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box x2
      Thanks

Ive set mine up and had a mess about with it. Setup was just with the wps but you can plug the ethernet into your pc and do it manually if you wish. It repeats on the same channel and also users the same ssid which means you dont have to do anything else with your wireless devices and in fact they wouldnt know the difference. Once its set up you can also use the ethernet port. As im typing this ive plugged my switch into it which as my tv, pc sky+hd box and xbox into it. They all work fine and Netflix still streams fine on the tv. Ive moved it around the house and it seems fine wherever i put it.
      New Wireless Boosters from Sky-sky-booster.jpg
      seawright and dewdude like this.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Based on your wifi analyzer screenshot; I'm guessing you're on channel 11 since that's a giant spike. I'd recommend channel 1 or perhaps even channel 2. The traffic on 1 is a lot weaker than neighbouring traffic on channels 6 and 11. 1, 6, and 11 are the only three wifi channels that don't overlap...and if that thing is a 300mbps wireless-N, it's actually using two wifi channels.

I'd move down to channel 2, using a different carrier may get you slightly better and the two wifi points on channel 1 are the weakest of your neighbouring APs. (Yes, I attempted to throw the u's to "fit in" :P)

Thanks

It is on 1 normally but I switched off the router this morning while messing with my homeplugs and it went to 11 when I switched it back on. I've tried it fixed before but it caused me hassle when others switched to it as well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

I don't agree with our friend from across the pond, you are getting the best signal possible with the router's auto settings. The higher the spike the better the signal. The only way you could maybe get a better signal is to move to channel 13 which wont happen with the auto settings, but you are doing pretty well where you are.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't agree with our friend from across the pond, you are getting the best signal possible with the router's auto settings. The higher the spike the better the signal. The only way you could maybe get a better signal is to move to channel 13 which wont happen with the auto settings, but you are doing pretty well where you are.
      I figured the same. Ive tried fixed channel before but my area is too densely populated and its a pain so ill just leave it upto the router.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I don't agree with our friend from across the pond, you are getting the best signal possible with the router's auto settings.

Well, I was basing it off at least how I would do things. The two wifi points on channel 1 are a lower db/m level than that roku sittng on channel 11; at least from where that mobile device is scanning. Judging by the signal of the repeater (which I assume is the nice large blue peak on channel 11), that was taken rather close to it; so the db/m on channel 1 would probably be slightly lower. It's quite possible the Sky router couldn't see that Roku as strong where it's sitting and picked 11 as it had the least traffic. Then again...even with a lower level, those two points could add up to more noise on the channel than than just the Roku by itself. Using channel 2 or 3 might have some advantage by putting the bulk of the carrier power in the outer sidebands of 1 and 6. Of course, I wasn't still studying RF when WiFi came out and I haven't been bothered to really fully study the modulation methods.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast