Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky loses Champions League Rights to BT Sport

This is a discussion on Sky loses Champions League Rights to BT Sport within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; So Sky bid c500m. A very bold move by BT Sport, but will they turn a profit. The article also ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky loses Champions League Rights to BT Sport

So Sky bid c500m. A very bold move by BT Sport, but will they turn a profit. The article also seems to suggest that BT have confirmed that the free access will cease. Football is becoming far too expensive now. This so called competition just isn't beneficial to the consumer.

2. Advertisement
      pdoherty76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      So Sky bid c500m. A very bold move by BT Sport, but will they turn a profit. The article also seems to suggest that BT have confirmed that the free access will cease. Football is becoming far too expensive now. This so called competition just isn't beneficial to the consumer.
      Oh yes, that's it, football is only becoming expensive now when BT enter the market. It hasn't been at all expensive for the last 20 years with Sky having a monopoly and forcing sports viewers to pay for entertainment channels they don't want.

BT doing what they are doing is making pricing much fairer. Anyone can get a non-sub sky box and just pay BT 12 a month. No contract needed, no 21.50 entertainment package.

About time too.

If sky don't unbundle their sports package then they will be decimated by this IMO.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme
      Sky TV: Humax HDR-1000S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pdoherty76 View Post
      ...Anyone can get a non-sub sky box and just pay BT 12 a month...
      At the moment yes, but early interviews with the boss at BT Sport have indicated there will be a further increase in subscription for Champions League and it will not be included in the free offering for existing BT Broadband customers either.

Couldn't agree more about the Sky Entertainment pack though, Sky Sports through Sky is really a minimum of 43.50 in SD because you have to have a base pack, so in a sense BT are correct about the cost being lower than through Sky.

Nothing happening until 2015 though so I guess we will just have to wait and see what moves BT and Sky make.

tech3475 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well this will be a kick in the teeth for my grandad who only has Sky Sports, but I wonder what will happen for those who have 'free' BT Sports like me or my brother (we were subscribers before BT Sports)?

Still, I guarantee you that any increase in cost for fans will also see an increase in piracy which I'm sure is something they wont like (only charging little for this may minimise this e.g. a 1-2 option in addition to cheap subscriptions, but even then...), no matter what this will cost allot of fans more money despite BT's marketing Bull****.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

It appears that under the current CL deal ITV pay almost as much as Sky but get only one game compared to Sky's 7 on any specific night. Under the new deal Sky bid without ITV and to sweeten the package said they would unbundle some games to ITV (to meet UEFA's FTA stipulation). BT simple went in and took the business whilst Sky was holding out until round 2 of the bidding. It's not often Sky read a situation so wrong, but this time they have.

Sky Sports without CL isn't worth the same as it was with CL. That doesn't mean BT Sport is worth any more with CL. Sky have to drop their bundling of Sky Sports with other packages (and maybe up that price) so the customer can have ONLY Sport. BT Sport is at a crossroads and they have to get this right or they will have their City investors howling for the head of the top people in BT. Big opportunity but big risk - I'd love to see BT's Risk Assessment report! Wonder if they did one?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      At the moment yes, but early interviews with the boss at BT Sport have indicated there will be a further increase in subscription for Champions League and it will not be included in the free offering for existing BT Broadband customers either.

Couldn't agree more about the Sky Entertainment pack though, Sky Sports through Sky is really a minimum of 43.50 in SD because you have to have a base pack, so in a sense BT are correct about the cost being lower than through Sky.

Nothing happening until 2015 though so I guess we will just have to wait and see what moves BT and Sky make.
      From what I understand, CL football is going to be an optional extra on BT. People will still be able to get the basic service with premier league and FA Cup etc for free with broadband and then they can optionally pay extra for a european football service.

I actually think that is the fairest way to do it. They are essentially saying "Have your english games for free with broadband (all this giving football back to the people stuff) and if you want the premium european competitions then you have the option to pay extra."

To be honest, I think it is a masterstroke.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If that's how it pans out then it is a great deal for the end consumer and may hopefully spark a change in the way that Sky sells its channels.

However, in reality that will make it even harder for BT to recoup their outlay for the new deal. It's a shame we will have to wait a good 12mths before we really find out the impact of this purchase.

leithman1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

This is another kick in the teeth for me when it comes to watching sport. Over the years many of the sports I once watched on terrestial or sky tv, have either been lost to subscription or indeed have ceased to be shown at times. Competition is obviously needed but I'm not sure how companies can be winners at these cost levels. Perhaps, this will give a new lease of life to local pubs similar to the old squariel days. Sky sports was always a good deal for me because I could use sky go to watch CL without interfering with the wife's soaps. Cheaper for me to go for a couple of pints than to take a subscription with several companies. Overall, this would seem to me to be another nail in the coffin for my sky subscription. I already had to switch BB to virgin to get reasonable speeds. Free HD and short subscription deals would seem to make virgin look ever more promising. There is, however, much more water to flow under the bridge before this change takes place, so will take things as they come and not act too hastily. Its very easy to change suppliers these days so I'm sure there will be ways for the consumer to benefit.

Exchange:
      Thanks

One thing that will have to do for sure is re-org the channels that show prem league. At the moment PL is on SS1 and UCL on SS2 and others. Therefore to watch both PL and UCL you have to subscribe to the fill pack. However if you only take Sky Sports for the PL and no other sport then you could reduce your pack to just SS1 and lose SS2-4 plus SSN.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leithman1 View Post
      This is another kick in the teeth for me when it comes to watching sport. Over the years many of the sports I once watched on terrestial or sky tv, have either been lost to subscription or indeed have ceased to be shown at times. Competition is obviously needed but I'm not sure how companies can be winners at these cost levels. Perhaps, this will give a new lease of life to local pubs similar to the old squariel days. Sky sports was always a good deal for me because I could use sky go to watch CL without interfering with the wife's soaps. Cheaper for me to go for a couple of pints than to take a subscription with several companies. Overall, this would seem to me to be another nail in the coffin for my sky subscription. I already had to switch BB to virgin to get reasonable speeds. Free HD and short subscription deals would seem to make virgin look ever more promising. There is, however, much more water to flow under the bridge before this change takes place, so will take things as they come and not act too hastily. Its very easy to change suppliers these days so I'm sure there will be ways for the consumer to benefit.
      What on earth do you mean by the bit in bold? Sky IS subscription.

And it was sky who originally took the national game away from free terrestrial television and put it behind a completely unfair paywall that required the subscription to entertainment channels that nobody wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      One thing that will have to do for sure is re-org the channels that show prem league. At the moment PL is on SS1 and UCL on SS2 and others. Therefore to watch both PL and UCL you have to subscribe to the fill pack. However if you only take Sky Sports for the PL and no other sport then you could reduce your pack to just SS1 and lose SS2-4 plus SSN.
      Not possible.

I tried recently to reduce my sky sports subscription to just sky sports 1 and was told they do not offer that option any more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast