Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 3 Post By reddwarfcrew

Sky Slashes UK Price of Broadband Video Streaming Service NOW TV

This is a discussion on Sky Slashes UK Price of Broadband Video Streaming Service NOW TV within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky Slashes UK Price of Broadband Video Streaming Service NOW TV - ISPreview UK Sky ( Sky Broadband ) has ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Sky Slashes UK Price of Broadband Video Streaming Service NOW TV

Sky Slashes UK Price of Broadband Video Streaming Service NOW TV - ISPreview UK
      Sky (Sky Broadband) has slashed the price of its unlimited web-based Internet TV and Movie (video streaming) service, NOW TV, from £15 to £8.99 per month in the hope of becoming more competitive with rivals like Netflix and LOVEFiLM (note: the 24 hour Sky Sports Day Pass remains £9.99).

The service does not require a contract or Sky TV subscription and will provide customers with access to all of the primary Sky Movies channels, which often feature films well in advance of their rivals. The service can also be accessed from all of the usual computers, smartphones and mobile devices (iOS and Android etc.) via a special app or a £9.99 (one-off) NOW TV set-top-box for your TV.

The service recommends a minimum 2Mbps connection speed (Standard Definition Video Quality) but unlike Netflix and LOVEFiLM its focus is almost entirely on movies or one-day sport content and we’re still waiting for Sky to make their TV channels available via the service.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Slashes UK Price of Broadband Video Streaming Service NOW TV

Is this exactly the same service as from Sky Movies - apart from the fact it is streaming-only and no upgrade available to HD?

At not much more than half the price I can't see why people who are not bothered about HD and have a decent connection speed would not be leaving the regular Sky Movies in their droves. Or am I missing something?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

As much as you and I prefer the option to watch Sky's TV content by using the Satellite dish, Now TV is actually quite popular.

There are many places where it is not possible to install a dish. Also many people are quite mobile and prefer the Now TV facility.

Like Sky Go, Now TV can be viewed across several different platforms, including some LG TVs, Xbox and PS3. Ok, it is also available where Sky Go isn't as well. It is available on Android device, iOS devices and PCs/Laptops.

Personally I prefer the dish option as it is much cheaper. As for the CUTV content, I have this available through the Sky STB and my TV & HT. So for me the Now TV box isn't great value either. Again others will disagree and say that they like the Now TV option. This may well be because their TV doesn't have the Smart TV features. For 9.99 it would be a good price in these cases.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Hmm, on my iPhone the title of this thread when viewed in the new posts section says "sky slashes uk price of broadband". How my heart sank when I saw the full title.
      Isitme, Scubbie and barriead like this.

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Thanks

Even at £8.99 it doesn't make that much sense imho. You can get a Lovefilm package for around that which gives you a wider range of content AND a disc (or for a quid more than now TV 2) discs through the post at a time. You can then with very little trouble see all the new titles which are NowTV's main draw months before you would on NowTV and still have plenty of catalogue titles to stream.

And that's before the new £4.99 entertainment pack for TV is added ontop. If the movies and entertainment combined was no greater than netflix then it might make sense but a combined fee of £13.98 is just too high compared the alternative firms that offer streaming

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

That is the price for just streaming movies, if you want to watch them "on demand" as well the price increases to £16.99 a month and only in SD.

However that is only a couple of quid more than the Entertainment pack so if you weren't bothered about recording or HD this could be quite good value for some people with arguably much of Sky's best content available excluding sports.