Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree7Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme
    • 2 Post By Saturday
    • 1 Post By Isitme
    • 3 Post By Isitme

Tailored advertising with Sky AdSmart

This is a discussion on Tailored advertising with Sky AdSmart within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Tailored advertising with Sky AdSmart | Sky Help We’re always looking for ways to use new technology to help you ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Post Tailored advertising with Sky AdSmart

Tailored advertising with Sky AdSmart | Sky Help
      We’re always looking for ways to use new technology to help you make the most of your Sky subscription, which is why we’re introducing Sky AdSmart.

How it works

Sky AdSmart is a service that allows us to tailor the advertising we present to you when watching content on Sky. Based on information you have provided to us as a Sky subscriber (such as post code or TV package) some adverts will be substituted with more relevant ones, so you should see more of the products and services you’re interested in and less of the things you’re not.

For example, if you already have Sky Broadband, we’ll make sure we don’t show you a TV advert for it. Therefore, while other Sky homes will see the Sky Broadband ad, you may see an ad for an upcoming drama series on Sky 1 instead. Other examples might include seeing more adverts for companies which are located in the local area such as local car dealerships, theme parks or shopping centres, or if we know a Sky household has children, they may see more adverts for family cars.

How we use your information

We’re always open and transparent about how we use our customers’ information and have included information about the changes we have made to support the new service in our Privacy Notice. Our Privacy Notice gives customers more information about how we collect and use their information. You can find our Privacy Notice here.

Customer marketing preferences

If you do not want your information to be used for tailored advertising, you can opt out at any time by following the steps below.

1. Sign in to the Personalisation preferences section of My Sky using your Sky iD.
      2. Uncheck the box alongside "Yes, I would like to receive personalised services" and press save to opt-out.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Re: Tailored advertising with Sky AdSmart

Uncheck the box alongside "Yes, I would like to receive personalised services" and press save to opt-out.
      This appears to be an 'opt in', at least mine was as the box was unchecked. Worth checking if yours is or not.
      Meteosat likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This appears to be an 'opt in', at least mine was as the box was unchecked. Worth checking if yours is or not.
      Many thanks - I've checked now - for me it was an opt-out service - if service is the right word! So have foregone that privilege.
      Cheers

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Hmmm... as frightening as this may at first appear, AdSmart isn't actually too bad.

Whilst I can't go into detail at the present time, please do Google the term for more information. When the details are finalised we hope to post something for everyone about how it works. The advertising companies are finding this potentially exciting though.

Here is another useful page to read: Sky AdSmart

In the above link you can also see the kind of information which is being used.

I did make a post over the weekend about one such advert which will be coming to some STBs soon:

Charity becomes first in UK to use 'smart advertising'

However there are some important restrictions over how Sky gain the information about you, more on this when we have this information available. I don't believe that they will be speaking with the NSA or GCHQ in order to get too much information either.

Now that more is known about it in the public, there are some news pages printing more information on the topic. One example:

The implications of BSkyB's AdSmart for cost, quality and competition | Media Network | theguardian.com
      The arrival of the personalised advertising platform could change the TV ad model, pave the way for local TV ads and cause Virgin Media a headache

As ground-breaking developments in the world of TV advertising go, news of BSkyB's targeted advertising technology was fairly low key.

Tacked on another announcement, it was easy to miss that this summer, Sky will rollout AdSmart, allowing UK TV advertisers to personalise ads on linear TV for the first time. Specially targeted ads will be sent to Sky+HD set-top boxes and, based on subscriber information, ads will be inserted into live broadcast streams.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Words like edge, end, thin, and wedge come to mind too readily. Just wait until they tie up the advertising with WHAT you watch ;-)

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Seems to me a sad state of affairs that anyone can see "tailored ads" as a good thing. I loathe ads and don't want to see any ad - ever. I particularly resent them appearing in paid for subscriptions.

Thanks to adblock and the like my PC screens are ad free (when I see other people's ad strewn screens I can't believe they put up with it) and with fast forward and downloads I can just about avoid them on TV too. Even so, I don't watch a large number of channels in the Sky epg because the massive, bright and often moving "channel idents", permanently on screen, wind me up.

Anyone watched Spanish TV in Spain recently? Often half the screen is taken up with adverts while the program is still on! Then they cut to a 15 minute commercial break 5 minutes before the program/film end. I've got a feeling we're headed in the same direction.

/end of grumpy rant
      Meteosat and gymno like this.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Hmmmm pay over £100 for my sky sub per month do I want any ads on my sky a big nooooooooooooo.

Thanks

I don't think they are talking about extra adverts, only more local content in what you do get.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I always fast forward through adverts as most of what I watch is recorded.

Thanks

The fast forward symbol on my remote is completely worn away.

TomD

Useful Utilites