Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi

This is a discussion on New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky is now supplying a revised model of the DRX890 and DRX895 Set top boxes. They will be known as ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi

Sky is now supplying a revised model of the DRX890 and DRX895 Set top boxes. They will be known as the DRX890W and DRX895W respectively.

Essentially they are the same as the older models with the following differences:

• Built-in WiFi
      • The RF Modulator is no longer present
      • WPS button on the front of the STBs
      • The 'Network' LED illuminates when the WiFi is connected to your router

They use the same firmware that is used with the DRX890 and DRX895 STBs. Both have the same size hard drives that you will find in the DRX890 (500GB) and DRX895 (2TB) STBs.

Sky's engineers are using up their old supplies before installing the new ones. The official launch will be soon, so any purchases through the Sky site will still be labelled as DRX890 or DRX895.

If you are supplied one of these without the current firmware (R007) then you will be asked to perform a forced update. Without R007 or later versions, the WiFi Adaptor will not work.

Please see the first post in this thread for more information on how to perform a forced update and for what is the latest version:

Sky+ HD STB Firmware Versions

For Sky's page, please see this link: Sky Help Forum - Updating the software on your Sky+HD - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Sky will be adding the Global iO-Link TV Link RF Modulator to their store soon. It has been found on eBay for around 25, so please do look around for one, before getting the one in the link below. This is to let you know what to look for:

GLOBAL iO-LINK TVLINK RF OUT REPLICATOR MODULATOR FOR FREESAT FREEVIEW SKY HD | eBay

This device will also connect to the SkyHD STB for those who are interested.

This device allow you to use the Magic-eye device in another room.

2. Advertisement
      mnavarra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hengoed
      Thanks

Thanks

Re: New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi

Whilst Sky hasn't officially launched the new boxes yet, this will be soon, the Engineers are fitting them in many cases now.

As for the prices, the new ones should in the be the same range as the DRX890 and DRX895. Obviously Sky has the right to change their prices when ever they like.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

The standard cost to replace an existing Sky HD+ box for the 2TB one is 164 (with a self-instal) via Sky, though probably worth waiting a bit yet to be sure you get the new WiFi model.

lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub (no Sky Q here, hub is for sky+hd and sky broadband)
      Thanks

Notice on the first post about that box, that the RF modulator has been removed, so no magic link with that box then, surely not?

I will stick with my drx890 thanks and ethernet wired to my sky hub.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

this device will be available from the sky store 'soon' at 25 i believe.

The issue i have with that is there's only 1 output, so passing on freeview to more than 1 tv will presumably require an additional piece of distribution kit?

Also, available 'soon'...
      It's already a bit too late considering i found this post the other day where 2 customers already had the wifi box on 13th august.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

The issue i have with that is there's only 1 output, so passing on freeview to more than 1 tv will presumably require an additional piece of distribution kit?
      I think the same device is used to pass though Freeview using the RF In port.

I notice the firm who were advertising them have withdrawn them. Maybe pressure from Sky?
      Sky Boxes > AerialSat.com

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      this device will be available from the sky store 'soon' at 25 i believe.
      Why am I not surprised about the price of this jumping through the roof?

When I first saw the device it was priced at ~25. Now it has more than doubled. Sound familiar?...

BBC News - Trading Standards: Reference pricing 'really powerful'

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

I notice the firm who were advertising them have withdrawn them. Maybe pressure from Sky?
      Sky Boxes > AerialSat.com
      I don't know about the Freeview STBs, but certainly it is the same device available for the SkyHD STBs.

As for the DRX890W and DRX895W being taken off that site, it is more likely that they have run out of stock or haven't got a delivery date so have had to take it off.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

If I remember correctly the 895W was available when stock was received, the 890W was ready for delivery now. I don't know if they are an official seller for Sky, if they are not I suppose as Sky makes the boxes, they could cut them out.

As for the price, there is definately something going on. Last week this was available at various sources, including Amazon and Ebay, at around 25, now it has shot up to 40-55. Have they realised this will be wanted by many users of the new Sky boxes?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I'm confused.
      There's no RF-in on the box itself is there?

If not, the RF-in on the device will have the coax from the tv aerial going in to it, leaving the RF-out to go off to the 2nd tv.
      So how do you get freeview on the main tv where the box is situated without some kind of splitter?

(Not that it's sky's responsibility to offer freeview distribution solutions to everyone)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast