Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi

This is a discussion on New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I am wondering if something like this would do the job - Universal RF Modulator Convert Scart To Coax Videogames ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Re: New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi

I am wondering if something like this would do the job - Universal RF Modulator Convert Scart To Coax Videogames | eBay You can be sure if it does the price will shoot up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

That would certainly put the Sky STB content over the RF output. You would still need something to do the Remote Control though as well.

Sure the Sky+ app will do a lot of things, but there are a handful of functions where it would let you down (i.e. on/off, purging the 'Deleted' tab in the planner, checking signal strength/quality).

As much as people may criticise this change, there is a major advantage that the owners of older STBs do not have in respect of future changes. With the knowledge that some TVs are now being produced without an Analogue tuner, there will likely be a demand for a RF Modulator which can put the signal in a digital channel format. Cost aside, the owners of these new STBs could do this. There is no chance with either of mine, unless I get one that plugs into the Scart socket.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

You would still need something to do the Remote Control though as well.
      Wouldn't the 'Magic eye' do this?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I'm sure this is the same product with a bit more information, including under the ask a question tab.
      Nothing about remote control / magic eye functions though.

MartinP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Slingbox
      Thanks

If you can't wait for the IO-Link you could use a "Pipe Freesat round your house" kit. Although it was intended for use with Freesat (No RF out) it works perfectly well with the Sky Digibox.
      http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3.htm#freesat

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Don't encourage them! You can get those same glasses for free at some cinemas!

Update: It has been confirmed that the IO-Link will cost 25. I am waiting for confirmation with regards to what date it will become available.

If you are not interested in paying this price, then please feel free to search for an alternative 'RF Modulator' (12-40). You will also need something to transmit the IR signal (IR Senders are about 20-35) too. These are the two functions which this IO-Link does.
      I *know* they will be 25 when they become available, but hey the wifi adaptor was 65 then 9.99 then 22 so there could be some price movement in future.

itsanewlifeforme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: New House - No TV
      Router: New house - no broadband
      Sky TV: Nothing yet
      Thanks

Does anyone know the specific model numbers of the Hard Disk drives being used in these newer 2TB boxes?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

PM just replied to.

Copy of the part about the drive:
      The most important thing to understand is that a drive used in the Sky+ HD STB is not the same as one that you would use in a PC. This rules out the 'Green' drives. Sure their power consumption is less, which is required, but the head movement and error correction process is different. The transfer speed may also be wrong.

The kind of drive you need must be rated for a PVR.

The 2TB drives supplied in the DRX895 and DRX895W sadly are not available in the UK market for you and I. They are made by Hitachi from memory. So sadly you can't get them.

So which drives are fine?

Well the original model used in the DRX890 was the Seagate Pipeline 500GB. This range has a 2TB version which is fine.

WD also have a range of AV-GP drives. Since this range has been changed periodically it is best that I provide you with a link to their specifications:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...879-701250.pdf

You need a drive which works at no more than 300Gb/s. Some can be jumpered to work at this speed. Don't get a 3TB drive as this won't be supported. Sadly for now 2TB is the largest you can fit.

Looking at the table above, I would suggest that the WD20EURS meets the specs, but the WD20EURX might be able to be jumpered to work at 3Gb/s (check first).

There is also a tool (mentioned in the ExPVR thread) that should be used to modify the head parking on the WD drives. This is important to extend the life of the drive in the Sky STB and also to reduce the noise. The head parking should be set to a high figure. The default setting is too short and causes the drive to make a little noise and the head mechanism wears out as it keeps restarting too soon.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234