Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi

This is a discussion on New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by gymno I'm confused.There's no RF-in on the box itself is there?If not, the RF-in on the device ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New Sky+ HD STBs with WiFi

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      I'm confused.There's no RF-in on the box itself is there?If not, the RF-in on the device will have the coax from the tv aerial going in to it, leaving the RF-out to go off to the 2nd tv.So how do you get freeview on the main tv where the box is situated without some kind of splitter?
      I assume it will require a passive splitter with a DC blocker on the output feeding the main TV.

Alternatively a splitter on the TV aerial feed with outputs shared by this device and the main TV as I would assume the main TV will use an HDMI feed from the Sky box and not require a re-modulated Sky feed.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Yes, i was imagining the latter option with an inexpensive Y splitter at the wall socket but thought that without any amplification, there could be problems if both tv's are on at the same time.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

It all seems like a bit of a palaver to me.

Considering their own wireless connector costs less than the IO-link even before factoring in splitters & extra cabling, i know which stb i'd prefer...

We need an IO-link with 2 outputs.
      An IOO-link.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Without a spec for the IO-Link it's difficult to know what the insertion loss would be. As for the passive splitter even at 100% efficiency, power wise there would have to be a 3dB loss.

At risk of straying off topic I have recently routed my terrestrial aerial signal through my Sky box to feed a second TV. Prior to this I never had any problems but now I keep getting a "No Signal" indication on both TVs when switched to ITV1 and other channels on the same multiplex. BBC is not effected. The remedy is to switch my Sky box from standby to operate. I don't have a signal strength meter but wondered whether the RF output levels varied between standby and operate. The strange thing is, once acquired, I don't lose the signal when switching the Sky box back to standby and there is no picture degradation.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

There is nothing stopping you from fitting a splitter to do this and yes it is an additional expense.

Maplin Electronics

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Without a spec for the IO-Link it's difficult to know what the insertion loss would be. As for the passive splitter even at 100% efficiency, power wise there would have to be a 3dB loss.

At risk of straying off topic I have recently routed my terrestrial aerial signal through my Sky box to feed a second TV. Prior to this I never had any problems but now I keep getting a "No Signal" indication on both TVs when switched to ITV1 and other channels on the same multiplex. BBC is not effected. The remedy is to switch my Sky box from standby to operate. I don't have a signal strength meter but wondered whether the RF output levels varied between standby and operate. The strange thing is, once acquired, I don't lose the signal when switching the Sky box back to standby and there is no picture degradation.
      A little off-topic, but you may wish to check the alignment of your TV aerial. After the switchover last year, Rowridge changed from Horizontal to both Horizontal and Vertical, with the Vertical being the stronger.

Rowridge transmitting station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

seawright (23-08-13)

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      I'm confused.
      There's no RF-in on the box itself is there?

If not, the RF-in on the device will have the coax from the tv aerial going in to it, leaving the RF-out to go off to the 2nd tv.
      So how do you get freeview on the main tv where the box is situated without some kind of splitter?

(Not that it's sky's responsibility to offer freeview distribution solutions to everyone)
      If you want Terrestrial TV on your main TV you would plug the aerial directly into the TV. If you also want it on other TVs, use a splitter and plug into the RF in on the IO Link.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Yes, i'm not confused anymore.
      I thought maybe there was something i was missing.

I guess it's of far more importance to have freeview available at the 2nd tv, considering the av quality compared to rf.
      The only real reason for having it at the main tv would be for that rare occasion when 3 programmes clash, so you could record 2 on the stb & watch the 3rd on freeview.
      Plus non smart tv's receive firmware updates over the air.

I just think that in the above scenario, having a non 'w' stb with the wireless connector would offer a tidier & cheaper solution than with an IO-link + powered splitter.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

Sky say it is an eco move, but I think it is more likely to help make up the extra cost of the built in wifi adapter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I forget the specific figure just now, but there is a good percentage drop in the energy consumption of the new DRX890W/DRX895W STBs compared to the DRX8990/DRX895 STBs which they are replacing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast