Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

New Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky

This is a discussion on New Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Thanks bubblegun. This link: https://secure.sky.com/mtmos/mysky/register_interest/ From this page: https://my.sky.com/mysky/ondemand/?D...om:ec_thankyou Did just let him register again so i presume the first ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: New Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky

Thanks bubblegun.

This link: https://secure.sky.com/mtmos/mysky/register_interest/
      From this page: https://my.sky.com/mysky/ondemand/?D...om:ec_thankyou

Did just let him register again so i presume the first one didn't go through.

2. Advertisement
      B J
      B J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Mr postman deliverd mine today its the USB one like a thicker mobile phone.
      His name was nut, Mr P Nut.

mra1n1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I just got the new MINI Sky wireless connector (SD501) as well.
      I decided to use it with the computer but Windows or linux does not have any drivers for it.

I opened the box up (No screws, just clips on the sides and bottom) and decided to see if I could spot any references to a chipset.
      After not being able to find out which chipset it was, i decided to close it back up again. Whilst doing so, I took a series of pictures.
      (so from disassembled to assembled)

Hopefully someone may be able to figure out which chipset it is.

USB VID is 27D5 & PID is 0080

New Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0057-1-.jpgNew Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0062-1-.jpgNew Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0061-1-.jpgNew Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0066-1-.jpgNew Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0067-1-.jpgNew Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0070-1-.jpgNew Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0072-1-.jpgNew Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0073-1-.jpgNew Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0074-1-.jpgNew Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky-img_0075-1-.jpg

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,582 Posts

There is a QR code square on it, if you have the proper App on your phone you can probably read it.

I did not think this type of device needed drivers. Have you tried plugging it in and reboot your laptop/PC then open a Command Prmpt and type IPCONFIG /ALL, see what it comes up with.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

The Q-Roid code just gives the same number that is printed around it, less the "10" at the beginning.

The important chips are hidden under that metal cover. I wouldn't recommend removing that as it will almost certainly damage things so that it can no longer be used.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The casing is 2-3 times bigger than it needs to be. Absurd.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

The adapter is small enough in many ways.

As for the aerials, I suspect that they have to have a minimum distance between them to avoid interference.

Remember that this adaptor works on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but not at the same time and up to 300mbps.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mra1n1 View Post
      I just got the new MINI Sky wireless connector (SD501) as well.I decided to use it with the computer but Windows or linux does not have any drivers for it.I opened the box up (No screws, just clips on the sides and bottom) and decided to see if I could spot any references to a chipset.After not being able to find out which chipset it was, i decided to close it back up again. Whilst doing so, I took a series of pictures.(so from disassembled to assembled)Hopefully someone may be able to figure out which chipset it is.USB VID is 27D5 & PID is 0080
      Already tried to identify if from VID see: New Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky Assuming the driver isn't compiled directly into the Linux/2.6.18.8 kernel running on the DRX870 but instead uses a loadable module. Its name should help identify the chipset the USB wi-fi adaptor uses. Unfortunately the only publicly available listing see: New Mini WiFi adaptor from Sky is for the DRX780 which doesn't support this adaptor.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      He probably needs to reapply.

Lots of customers details were lost (system glitch in early July) and they need to re-do the registration. There will be a note on the account but most customers won't find out until months later - yes, I know, great communication from Sky, yet again!
      After reapplying, my dad had the card through the post today saying it's on the way.

Thanks again.

NightHawk55 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi, just signed up here to ask about this adapter.

I signed up for a free on demand box like 2-3 months ago now, just today it arrived in the post. Got it out of the box and connected it as per instructions. Went to the sky services menu to realise the little box wasn't powering up. Tried unplugging it and back in again still nothing. Decided to google it and found out that the "mini" version of this box i was sent doesn't work with my sky HD+ box (samsung 9730)

I wasn't aware there were two versions of this box and it turns out i need the older connector box, not the connector mini. From googling i can only see the option to buy the connector i need for 21.95.

Is there anyway i can get sky to send me the older version of the box instead or replace it with this one i have?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast