Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Sky News Delivers 24/7 Live News Directly on Apple TV to Viewers in the US, UK & Ireland

This is a discussion on Sky News Delivers 24/7 Live News Directly on Apple TV to Viewers in the US, UK & Ireland within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; LONDON -- June 19, 2013 -- For the first time, Sky News is offering live 24/7 broadcast news on Apple ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Post Sky News Delivers 24/7 Live News Directly on Apple TV to Viewers in the US, UK & Ireland

LONDON -- June 19, 2013 -- For the first time, Sky News is offering live 24/7 broadcast news on Apple TV, further extending its international reach. The service, which launches subscription free, will enable millions of Apple TV customers in the US, UK and Ireland to access live Sky News directly on their HDTV through Apple TV.

Beginning today, Apple TV customers will see the Sky News icon on their homepage and with a single click, viewers will have access to a 24/7 live feed of Sky News’ award-winning coverage. This includes the latest breaking news from home and abroad as well as dedicated business, political and entertainment coverage. In addition to the live channel feed, viewers can catch up on specific stories at any time via an extensive on demand news library.

John Ryley, Head of Sky News, commented: “Sky News is always interested in embracing technology that lets us reach our viewers wherever they want to watch our award-winning coverage. I’m thrilled that our world-class journalism is now being showcased to millions of Apple TV customers internationally. We look forward to continuing to broaden distribution of Sky News at home and abroad.”

This agreement builds on Sky’s growing international channels business that already sees Sky News reach more than 100 million viewers across Europe, North America, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. The syndication and distribution of channels internationally is a growing part of Sky’s business as the company seeks to leverage the quality of its brands and content by making programming available to new audiences.

Sky News is already available in the US via skynews.com. The US homepage was launched in November 2012 with a dedicated team focusing on tailored content for the region. Sky News is also accessible via Livestation, the largest aggregator of live television news online.

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Sky News Delivers 24/7 Live News Directly on Apple TV to Viewers in the US, UK & Ireland

Just updating the software on mine now

MagicTorch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky News Delivers 24/7 Live News Directly on Apple TV to Viewers in the US, UK & Ireland

I am an Apple fan & love my iPad/iPhone/Airport Express, but I've never tried AppleTV - I prefer linear channels to on demand content & AppleTV seems to have (to date) been all about downloaded/on demand content.

The addition of Sky News is interesting - will it be in HD?

Would be great if Sky one day strike a deal with Apple to allow Sky customers to access all of the channels from their Sky subscription via AppleTV.

Thanks

Just had a play with mine. I have the 2nd gen. black Apple TV box.

It's not in HD, but it's more than just a live feed. There are multiple categories to view, such as things like Weather, Top Stories, UK, Showbiz etc. It's similar to the Sky News iOS apps.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Of course it free for Apple TV but who paying for it us with our sky subs

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      I have the 2nd gen. black Apple TV box.
      I had the ATV2, nice bit of kit for streaming movies and music from a media library. Bought it for £99 and sold it for £157 18 months later as unlike the ATV3 it can be jailbroken!

Might get a newer version again when (if), I finally ditch Sky and it's full 1080p now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by totalwar View Post
      Of course it free for Apple TV but who paying for it us with our sky subs
      Yep, but that's also true on Freeview and Freesat.

Thanks

Bought mine in the US for just over $100 so I avoided the UK convience tax. They are great if you have both a UK and US iTunes account as well.

Hoping the trend continues and we start to see the other catch-up channels soon too.

It is good for streaming from other iOS devices & Macs.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      LONDON -- June 19, 2013 -- For the first time, Sky News is offering live 24/7 broadcast news on Apple TV, further extending its international reach. The service, which launches subscription free, will enable millions of Apple TV customers in the US, UK and Ireland to access live Sky News directly on their HDTV through Apple TV.

Beginning today, Apple TV customers will see the Sky News icon on their homepage and with a single click, viewers will have access to a 24/7 live feed of Sky News’ award-winning coverage. This includes the latest breaking news from home and abroad as well as dedicated business, political and entertainment coverage. In addition to the live channel feed, viewers can catch up on specific stories at any time via an extensive on demand news library.

John Ryley, Head of Sky News, commented: “Sky News is always interested in embracing technology that lets us reach our viewers wherever they want to watch our award-winning coverage. I’m thrilled that our world-class journalism is now being showcased to millions of Apple TV customers internationally. We look forward to continuing to broaden distribution of Sky News at home and abroad.”

This agreement builds on Sky’s growing international channels business that already sees Sky News reach more than 100 million viewers across Europe, North America, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. The syndication and distribution of channels internationally is a growing part of Sky’s business as the company seeks to leverage the quality of its brands and content by making programming available to new audiences.

Sky News is already available in the US via skynews.com. The US homepage was launched in November 2012 with a dedicated team focusing on tailored content for the region. Sky News is also accessible via Livestation, the largest aggregator of live television news online.
      FYI, This will be through a 3rd party app so Sky will not be offering any form of technical support for this service.

bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Thanks

what a crap. All I want sky Go on apple tv! Sky news is pointless!