Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Like Tree12Likes

Sky offers free broadband as battle with BT intensifies

This is a discussion on Sky offers free broadband as battle with BT intensifies within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I just don't think it is worth it any more. Sky through their greed have made it too expensive for ...

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Sky offers free broadband as battle with BT intensifies

I just don't think it is worth it any more.
      Sky through their greed have made it too expensive for the ordinary man now in my opinion.

dog-man
      stereohaven likes this.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      The problem is that the alternatives just aren't any good in my opinion. Sky is a quality product and carries a quality price tag too.
      Presenter john bentley came to a similar conclusion (sort of) on mondays gadget show.

It's on demand 5 & is the first segment of the show.
      Or alternatively: The Gadget Show | Episode 5: Sky TV & Alternatives by The Gadget Show's The Gadget Show

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Nice article (Ok I am biased) but he did touch upon some items which will always determine to the individuals out there where or not Sky TV will be value for money for them:

• BT Sport is perhaps the first 'real' competition that Sky have had and it will be interesting to see what happens
      • CUTV & On Demand content is getting very large with Sky but does require a good broadband connection
      • Sure there are lots of channels, but how many do we all actually watch?

The most important thing is to only get what you are interested in. Personally I'm not a great sports enthusiast so I don't subscribe to the Sports package, for example.
      gymno likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

That's exactly what i took from it.

Sport & movies are kept separate & so because i don't place much value in those, i don't subscribe.
      It does seem that sky offer the best experience with these, although like with anything else, you do have to pay for it.

What's closer to home for me, is the 'how many channels do we really need' point.

Personally, i think that '+1' channels make sense for other platforms such as freeview, but with (presumably) the majority of sky subscribers owning a box that can record, it seems a little odd to me.

On the other hand, i'll always champion the inclusion of channels dedicated to more niche tastes, whether i have an interest in the subject matter or not.

I just remembered, there used to be a channel called 'current tv' that no longer broadcasts on sky.
      One of the reasons they stated for shutting down, was that SKY pulled the funding they relied on...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The most important thing is to only get what you are interested in. Personally I'm not a great sports enthusiast so I don't subscribe to the Sports package, for example.
      That used to be a selling point when Entertainment was "Variety" and "Style & Culture" with the extra part of EE split up into four other genres. Some existing customers did benefit from this as customers who only subscribed to (for instance) childrens channels received all the entertainment extra channels at no extra cost when the change occurred. Though not widely known it was even possible for sports and/or movie channel subscribers not to take any entertainment channels though except for business customers I don't believe that option is any longer available.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

@gymno: Yes the +1 channels are a bit of a mixed bunch. Admittedly if I miss the beginning of an interesting episode of Deal or No Deal then I will flick over to Ch 4+1 to catch the initial piece or let a friend know to watch it. Otherwise I tend to steer clear of these as they are all SD.

@seawright: It was the amalgamation of these channels that caused the 'price freeze' which we are starting to see the end of from this September. It was a little more affordable to be able to pick less channels than you needed and this has added to the expense for many people. Certainly any new Sky TB customer after Sept 2011 ave lost out as a result.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Steele11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halfway
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: sky Q hub
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

thanks scubbie i call up and get my mum 25% off the bill and free Broadband for 12 Months as Long as she keeps sky Sport, sky line rental So she's a happy Bunny Plus a call back i pay the sky line rental for the Year
      Last edited by Steele11; 07-07-13 at 01:49 PM.

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

1+ channels are useful you can only record two program's at once with sky.so when there three program's at once I use the 1+ to record third program.This is the only weak spot with Sky and had been for a few years now.Virgin has record three program's at once so why Sky has not I don't know.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by totalwar View Post
      1+ channels are useful you can only record two program's at once with sky.so when there three program's at once I use the 1+ to record third program.This is the only weak spot with Sky and had been for a few years now.Virgin has record three program's at once so why Sky has not I don't know.
      The inconveniance of a 3rd connection to the dish would be one point.
      Also as you said the larger number of +1 channels on Sky helps a lot, and the further roll-out of ondemand for more and more channels will help with this too.
      Basically the demand isn't there for this feature. Virgin have it as a compensation for these other features of the Sky package.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567