Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

Sky offers free broadband as battle with BT intensifies

This is a discussion on Sky offers free broadband as battle with BT intensifies within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew So in theory, as long as you kept downgrading as soon as you'd been upgraded you ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky offers free broadband as battle with BT intensifies

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      So in theory, as long as you kept downgrading as soon as you'd been upgraded you could get Unlimited for the cost of 4 months with 8 months free.......
      I don't see how that would work as if you downgraded you will already have exceeded the limit once so as soon as you exceed it again you will automatically be upgraded. Because of the 31 days notice period you would also have to keep the upgraded package for at least one month.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Yep, so:
      Jan and Feb on Free
      Mar on Unlimited but serve notice immediately so that
      Apr and May on Free
      Jun on Unlimited but serve notice immediately so that
      Jul and Aug on Free

etc. or would you have to stay on Unlimited for a 6mth period (are systems that clever).

I haven't got any intention as it's too much hassle, but just wondering......

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

No! You would get part of April free until you exceeded your monthly allowance then as you had already exceeded your monthly allowance in February and it is within a six month period you would be automatically upgraded. The two excesses do not have to be in consecutive months.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Yep, so:
      Jan and Feb on Free
      Mar on Unlimited but serve notice immediately so that
      Apr and May on Free
      Jun on Unlimited but serve notice immediately so that
      Jul and Aug on Free

etc. or would you have to stay on Unlimited for a 6mth period (are systems that clever).

I haven't got any intention as it's too much hassle, but just wondering......
      It depends on how much you would use in a normal month and you would need to downgrade on the payment due date.

The months on the usage are in line with your payment due date. For myself it would go like this:
      Downgrade on 1st Jan - 1 month free but exceed usage allowance

Then on 1st Feb I would exceed the allowance a second time and get automatically upgraded but because my bill comes out this day it would appear I'm getting a second free month.

Then on 1st March I would call to downgrade again but on this day I'm getting billed 15 for Feb and March on unlimited.

So in theory I could get 7.50 back in April,
      but that wouldn't happen as we would have exceeded the 2gb again on 2nd March and got upgraded back to unlimited.

You could downgrade again on 2nd April but if your usage was high then you would just get put back to unlimited as soon as you breached the 2Gb.

You could manage on Lite as long as you could keep your usage under 2Gb for 5 months of each year, month 1 and month 7 you could download 100's of Gb's if you wanted.

DonGibbioni is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I have Sky Broadband unlimited and SkyTalk and subscribe to SkySports. I like my football but never went for ESPN (apart from the 3 month free offer each season). The 15 connection and 12 per month extra for BT disappointed me as this would have pushed me close to 100 per month for my total package. I've made several attempts to reduce my costs by using the argument that new customers are getting better offers (and surely it's cheaper to retain a client than get a new one). I was offered 3.75 off my broadband cost for 12 months.

This was not good enough and I have now jumped to BT and I will soon be effectively getting the football free and paying less than I am paying to Sky as I'm getting 50 Sainsbury's vouchers and 80 quidco along with 12 month half price broadband. I have been happy with the service I get from Sky but if they don't improve their retention strategy a lot of people will follow. Great to see some competition though!!

blueboy3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: scotstounhill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

well just phoned CS told them i was no longer in contract for unlimited bb or for line rental telephone package ,and asked what offers they had for upgrading to fibre,was told all that was available was free p0stage on the hub,i laughed and asked about the half price offer for upgrading to fibre,was told i didnt qualify.
      this is what really ****es me off about sky,once they have you they discard you as soon as youre signed up,i see they are offering samsung tabs for new customers now too,heard BAD BAD things about talk talk,but they have reviewed their line management and prioritisation,and have dropped them for unlimited fibre, they also offer a saver line rental at 9.50 a month if paid upfront,six months half price fibre at speeds upto 76mbs download and 20mbs upload (dbl skys) this is 10 rising to 21.50,
      time for a switch,and ive been with sky for nearly 12 years very bad if customers like me are now leaving

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I have been with them since day one of the old analogue days and I just believe that they are just too expensive now.

dog-man

Rturner003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01242
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Sky offers free broadband as battle with BT intensifies

Before judging whether the product is too expensive you have to weigh up the alternatives. Take Sky Movies, to rent a film from the Sky Store is nearly 4, and the movies are eight. I have had a trial with Netflix but I do not think that the offering was anyway as good, in my opinion, as what Sky is offering.

It is like the Sports channel, the cost of entering a premier league game in very high (even though they get all that money from Sky) and when you add transport and refreshment the Sky offering looks a fairly good deal.

The only real grip that have is that with all the bundles I have, they still want to charge another 5 for Sky Go Extra

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I've been with hem for 20 years and always the full package until yesterday when sky sports got switched off. The sports for what I watch is not value for money. I think the movies still are but the entertainment pack is dear. If they did free hd and free sky go extra then it would feel better.

The problem is that the alternatives just aren't any good in my opinion. Sky is a quality product and carries a quality price tag too.

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: SKY SR102
      Thanks

I've been with hem for 20 years and always the full package until yesterday when sky sports got switched off. The sports for what I watch is not value for money. I think the movies still are but the entertainment pack is dear. If they did free hd and free sky go extra then it would feel better.

The problem is that the alternatives just aren't any good in my opinion. Sky is a quality product and carries a quality price tag too.
      FYI Sky Go Extra is Free for customers with multiroom.

But you are right, cost a hell of a lot to have sky :/

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast