Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Introducing Sky Movies Disney – the home of new and classic Disney movies

This is a discussion on Introducing Sky Movies Disney – the home of new and classic Disney movies within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Introducing Sky Movies Disney – the home of new and classic Disney movies Sky and Disney are working together to ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Introducing Sky Movies Disney – the home of new and classic Disney movies-skymovies_disney.jpg

Sky and Disney are working together to create a brand new television channel, Sky Movies Disney. The new channel will be the home of new and classic Disney and Disney/Pixar movies in the UK and Ireland, and marks the first time that Disney has been involved in a co-branded linear movie channel anywhere in the world. It is also the first time that viewers in the UK and Ireland will be able to watch all new blockbuster Disney-branded movies, as well as classics from the past, on one single channel.

The launch of Sky Movies Disney builds on Sky and Disney’s 24-year relationship in the UK and forms part of a new wide-ranging agreement between the two companies, covering further movies, and Disney Channels, across multiple platforms and devices.

Launching in time for the Easter holidays on 28th March 2013, Sky Movies Disney will show recent hits including Brave, Tinker Bell: Secret of the Wings and Wreck-It Ralph in their first pay TV window. Future releases that will be available include Oz: The Great and Powerful, Monsters University and The Lone Ranger. The new movies will be available on Sky Movies Disney from around six months after they have ended their run in cinemas and will be exclusive to Sky Movies for at least a year.

Alongside new releases, Sky Movies Disney will also offer an extensive library of classic Disney films, including Bambi and Pinocchio, as well as Disney/Pixar animated favourites such as Finding Nemo, Cars and A Bug’s Life. Live action titles such as Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest and National Treasure will also be available.

In addition to broadcasting in standard and high definition on the Sky Movies Disney channel, all of the new and classic movies will be available to view on demand and on the go. Sky TV customers will be able to watch movies on the move with Sky Go, on their smartphone, tablet, laptop or MacBook. NOW TV, Sky’s new internet TV service, will also offer easy and flexible access to the Disney titles to customers who buy the Sky Movies monthly pass. Disney films available in 3D will be shown on the Sky 3D channel.

In addition to the launch of the new channel, the agreement gives Sky Movies the first subscription pay TV movie rights in the UK and Ireland to other titles distributed by Disney, including new movies from Lucasfilm, and also Marvel Studios features such as Iron Man 3 and Avengers Assemble, which will be broadcast across the Sky Movies portfolio of channels.

In addition to movies, the agreement covers Disney’s TV channels - Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior - which will continue to be made available to Sky customers, alongside a new HD version of Disney Junior, launching in April. All Disney-branded channels will also continue to be available on Sky Go across a range of internet-connected devices. Additionally, Sky will launch a dedicated Disney section on its popular On Demand service, offering hundreds more hours of catch-up and library shows.

Jeremy Darroch, Sky’s Chief Executive
      , comments: "The launch of Sky Movies Disney is great news for our customers and builds on the strong relationship that Sky and Disney have enjoyed for more than 20 years. We’re delighted that an entertainment company of Disney’s international stature has chosen to work with Sky on its first co-branded linear movie channel. This is a world-first collaboration that will excite millions of families and further strengthen our market-leading movies service."

Ian Lewis, Director of Sky Movies
      , adds:"Disney’s movies are loved by all ages and generations, so we’re delighted to be bringing this new channel to millions of families at no extra cost. Sky Movies Disney will be the home of new and classic Disney and Disney/Pixar movies and will offer all new titles at least a year before other TV channels or subscription services. The combination of Disney’s fantastic movies and Sky’s award-winning innovation means that customers will have the chance to enjoy the very best of Disney on their own terms, whether that’s watching on demand, on the move or in 3D."

Diego Lerner, President, The Walt Disney Company EMEA
      , adds: "In launching these new initiatives, we are underlining Disney and Sky's shared goal: bringing high quality, creative entertainment to audiences in the UK and Ireland. The ways in which people watch TV and movies have changed immeasurably in the past 20 years, but consumers always seek out Disney's great stories and memorable characters."

Catherine Powell, Senior Vice President/General Manager, Media Distribution, Disney EMEA
      , adds: "Through the launch of Sky Movies Disney, we will offer viewers our broadest range yet of popular current and classic Disney and Disney/Pixar films, featuring many of our much-loved stories and characters. Building on the strong performance of our movies and Disney Channels in the UK and Ireland, this agreement will not only increase the range of Disney entertainment being made available, but also the devices and platforms that viewers will be able to enjoy them on."

2. Advertisement
      Ian Thompson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Introducing Sky Movies Disney – the home of new and classic Disney movies

I've just found out because of this Sky Movies Classics is merging with Sky Movies Classics in a new channel called Sky Movies Select. I'm very disappointed by this as we will be losing half of the classic movies in a 24 hour period. Just to think there was once two Sky classic movie channels which where then called Sky Cinema 1 and2. I've already posted on the Sky Help Forums suggesting that they should have discontinued Sky Movies Premiere + 1 hour and I've tried to be constructive on there. So a massive disappointment.
      Ian.
      Last edited by Ian Thompson; 23-02-13 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake

Thanks

Sorry about this Ian. As was posted over on the Sky forums, there will be a new line up for the Movie channels when this all happens and I believe it will look like this:

EPG No. EPG Channel Name
      301 Sky Premiere
      302 Sky Premiere + 1
      303 Sky Showcase
      304 Sky Greats
      305 Sky Disney
      306 Sky Family
      307 Sky Action & Adventure
      308 Sky Comedy
      309 Sky Crime & Thriller
      310 Sky Drama & Romance
      311 Sky Sci-Fi & Horror
      312 Sky Select

Of course there will still be the other channels and the HD swap.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Takeshi55 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky something
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'm really upset by this, because Disney Cinemagic was one of the only channels to show Disney cartoons that are over 10 years old. Now all that's left is Disney Jr. Unless they got rid of the Little Mermaid and Lilo and Stitch on there too...

BTW, are ANY of these actual Disney Movies; A Dog Named Duke, The Black Hole, Jack-Jack Attack and The Greatest Game Ever Played?

Thanks

We associate Disney with animated films such as Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Cinderella & Snow white. These are 'family friendly' films which young children can watch. In truth the company has been involved in the making of a far wider range of films in the past decode or so. The Pirates of the Caribbean is made by them. Disney recently bought the rights to make several more Star Wars films and quite a bit more.

Pixar are owned by Disney (since 2006) and much more:

The Walt Disney Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      I think that we can expect quite a range of films from them on the channel.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I know that, but we still need a channel that specializes in Disney cartoons. I'm sick of seeing this live action stuff and Cinemagic was one of the only channels to show animated series' from pre-2010.

I want to see more Aladdin the animated series, The Little Mermaid the animated series, DuckTales, Quack Pack, Jungle Cubs ect...

Thanks

I had a look at the current listings and it does appear that those cartoons are missing.

I do remember that Cartoon Network used to show them once upon a time. Perhaps they will pick up where Disney have missed out.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I had a look at the current listings and it does appear that those cartoons are missing.

I do remember that Cartoon Network used to show them once upon a time. Perhaps they will pick up where Disney have missed out.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner
      But why would Cartoon Network show old Disney cartoons? I'm talking about a channel that ONLY shows old DISNEY cartoons. NOT old Cartoons in general.

Thanks

I remember years back when the CN channel used to show back-to-back Tom and Jerry on Boxing day. I guess it was nice to leave it on the channel all day and just sit and watch a few episodes.

Just for the record, if you are interested you can get the whole Tom and Jerry cartoons on DVD now:

Tom And Jerry - Complete Volumes 1-6 Collector's Edition Box Set DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Tom and Jerry: Film & TV

It might be worth spending £19.50 +delivery on it.

I suspect the same will be true for many of the old Disney Cartoons too. Do feel free to take a look.

Exchange:
      Thanks

But Tom and Jerry is MGM, NOT Disney!
      Cartoon Network is owned by WB, who show WB, MGM and DC comics cartoons among others. They WON'T show Disney cartoons.

Honestly, it's like saying you saw a British TV show and assumed that Dr. Who is on Channel 5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast