Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree8Likes

Sky unveils a new subscription service - Sky Go Extra

This is a discussion on Sky unveils a new subscription service - Sky Go Extra within the Sky news and announcements forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Just another way of fleecing 60 a year from you....

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky unveils a new subscription service - Sky Go Extra

Just another way of fleecing 60 a year from you.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M@rk View Post
      i thought i read when i signed up that you could register 2 additional devices making 6? but i can still only register 4. we have at least 10 devices capable of useing skygo in our house 4 devices isnt enough most people now have several phones and tablets in there household.

The number of devices is indeed an additional 2 more than previously when it was 2 devices. This makes the total 4.

Sadly many large families will struggle to share the 4 possible devices around.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

M@rk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: PFsense
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The number of devices is indeed an additional 2 more than previously when it was 2 devices. This makes the total 4.

Sadly many large families will struggle to share the 4 possible devices around.
      im sure ive always been able to register 4 devices??? oh well. I dont think the service is that good shame it doesnt include none sky channels BBC ect then it would be worth 5 a month. Im sure most of us can download most sky tv programs from torrents ect even before they have aired on sky.

kan.grewal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley
      Thanks

Personally, the number of devices you're allowed isn't the issue - it's the extra 5 a month to be able to download.

If absolutely no-one subscribed then Sky would very quickly retract this, but people will pay it unfortunately, and it just grates that functionality that iPlayer is giving away for nothing, Sky are charging for. The Other terrestrial channels don't have downloading at the moment, but I'm guessing it won't be long before they offer a pay for service soon after seeing Sky.

People power is dead!

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kan.grewal View Post
      Personally, the number of devices you're allowed isn't the issue - it's the extra 5 a month to be able to download.

If absolutely no-one subscribed then Sky would very quickly retract this, but people will pay it unfortunately, and it just grates that functionality that iPlayer is giving away for nothing, Sky are charging for. The Other terrestrial channels don't have downloading at the moment, but I'm guessing it won't be long before they offer a pay for service soon after seeing Sky.

People power is dead!

Presumably it's the content providers pulling the strings, I suspect Sky had to pay them a large sum of money to get the rights to allow them to enable downloading on the various devices.

LyndyLou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rayleigh (EARAY)
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I have downloaded on Sky Go in the past to enable me to watch while on holiday. Usually on the long journey. Do not use it for live streaming. Therefore as far as I am concerned Sky are not starting something new but charging for something that was previously available for free.

thedon_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Presumably it's the content providers pulling the strings, I suspect Sky had to pay them a large sum of money to get the rights to allow them to enable downloading on the various devices.
      Yeah i'd also assume that the content providers have a heavy influence in this.

I'm sure sky still play a part too though. They make money off the advertising slots during big TV etc. If users can download the shows to pretty much watch what they want, when they want, surely the live tv advertising revenue would drop for Sky and would need to be made up somehow. 5 a month for the service is that method.

I think it's a good move, very progressive. There are still too many people in the media industry trying to cling on to the old appointment television with advertising income model. People want to watch things when and where they want. Sky give you the option. If you don't want to pay for it, don't subscribe but at least the options there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LyndyLou View Post
      I have downloaded on Sky Go in the past to enable me to watch while on holiday. Usually on the long journey. Do not use it for live streaming. Therefore as far as I am concerned Sky are not starting something new but charging for something that was previously available for free.
      This is how the Sky Go app worked on PCs and Laptops with the Sky Go Desktop application. The app still works like this, but after the trial period expires, it will cost you money.

For those who are complaining that the BBC iPlayer is available for free, can I remind you that when people try to access it from other countries that they need to pay a subscription. However I would expect that many will be using UK based proxy servers to access it for free from most other countries.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

bulldog147 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cuckoo Oak
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: 1 x Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BBC iplayer isn't free (because we all already paying tv license!) I don't care abot sky go extra. I rather pay NetFlex USA for 6 a month and can access loads of drama's, films latest cinema usa films on netflix usa before it release to uk cinema and then sky box office.

I will not paying 5 for sky go extra.

Thanks

Actually there is a technical loop hole for the BBC iPlayer.

Yes if you have a TV License you are paying towards it. You can also use the app on your phone, tablet or computer to stream live content.

However for the many who do not have a TV License they can still watch the BBC iPlayer content. However they should not use it to watch live content. If the do watch the live content and get caught, then they will be in trouble.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast